Maybe it's not as bad as we think

Options
Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
I just calculated what it would cost to reproduce my cabin system today, using NAWS prices. It came to $2,000 less than what the system actually originally cost, and that was with changing the four 175 Watt Sharps for six 185 Watt Kyoceras (an improvement in array size I would like).

That's $6,000 for 2.2 kW hours AC "out the door" (using the Icarus Formula).

If it would last for 10 years that would be $600 per year for 800+ kW hours per year, or an average cost of $0.75 per kW hour over the life of the system. That's a bit better than the old $1.00 to $1.50 per kW hour we're used to quoting.

Looks like things are getting better! :D

Edit: the "old" numbers would have been $8,000 initial cost, $800 per year, 1.4 kW hours (using the Icarus Formula - my actual yield is significantly better most of the time), 511 kW hours per year; average cost $1.56 per kW hour over the life of the system.

Comments

• mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Maybe it's not as bad as we think
    I just calculated what it would cost to reproduce my cabin system today, using NAWS prices. It came to $2,000 less than what the system actually originally cost, and that was with changing the four 175 Watt Sharps for six 185 Watt Kyoceras (an improvement in array size I would like).
    I agree, when I put my system in 2006-2007 I was paying closer to 6$ a watt just for 1800 watts of panels. That price with shipping can be closer to 2.50 a watt today. Balance of system components would cost somewhat more, but I could have a much larger system for my 12K.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Maybe it's not as bad as we think

I put my 1st jump in array in 2007 at @$3 a watt delivered (920 watts of blems) and since I was using @300kwh a year my per Kwh would be 300 x .09 = $27 + 300 ($25 user fee per month) for $1.09 a Kwh electric. Yes, the grid runs by my cabin.

With the goverment incentives it does make sense for some of us minimal users.

(yes, I've gone over to the dark side, but hope to be off grid, or at least letting someone else pay to maintain the grid connected Mobile home I purchased. Though I wonder how long I have to keep it as a residence before I rent it out if I add photovoltaics, at least for a cabin/workshop there?)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.