Old hot system

Options
I have a 13 year old sw4024. It has been overheating. I lubed the cooling fans, it seemed to help. The fans speed up and slow down every few seconds. Is this normal ? It seems that the fans should stay at a constant speed. Is it time for a new inverter? Right now I am using a house fan to cool the inverter so it wont overheat, it's working fine.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Old hot system

It's time for a new inverter.
    As good as the SW's were, they aren't anymore. There are several posts on the forum from people with failed or failing SW's. Getting them repaired is problematic, to put it mildly. They've done their service and stalwart service they've done. Thirteen years; it's time to upgrade.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it actually getting hot or just activating the fan alot.

I have one SW4048 that the fan begins to cycle on and off in our winter period when the temp in the garage get below about 70 deg F. The air coming out of the side when the fan is on is not even very warm.

In the summer with temps in the 90's, the fan doesn't cycle unless I run significant power for some time.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it's possible the fans themselves are failing as fans often fail early. this could be heating up the inverter and could lead to parts failure in the inverter. unless you know of somebody that can verify it is only the fans and has the fan replacements should they be bad for the right price then start thinking of a new inverter. for the record, we don't know when the inverter will go as that is hard to predict, but added heat will make it quicker.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The SW's have reputation of trouble with the thermistors on the MOSFET board.

If the fans are turning with no squeaking they are probably fine. It is the thermostat control on the fans that is screwed up.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

rc,
    i was going by his comment, "It has been overheating. I lubed the cooling fans, it seemed to help." now, it is still possible the thermistors caused the fans to act up and if it has been long term it could've contributed to the fans being on their way out.
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The SW's have reputation of trouble with the thermistors on the MOSFET board.
    Hey RC do you have a part number and schematic for that thermistor as I have a SW2412 that the fan runs all the time and I would like to replace it.