windex

simagic
simagic Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭✭
I've seen on several posts to clean panel with dish washing detergent. Isn't Windex (or similar product) better?.. Doesn't detergent leave a film and then rinsing leave mineral deposits (as I've read on posts where people want to cool their panels) ?
I have easy access to my panel ( on the deck).. Why not Windex??

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: windex

I have used window cleaner that connects to a hose + brush to clean my arrays before... Worked very well (although, not inexpensive--perhaps there is a better source for glass cleaner). I think this has an additive to prevent streaking. Handy for me because I cannot use a squeegee on my array (2nd story, ladder access only).

I get the equivalent of Windex as a concentrate (something like 1-2 oz per quart of water). Works well for me on windows and as a general cleaner for light cleaning.

Pick cleaners that rinse clean--I would not want something like automatic dishwasher soap as it is pretty caustic and will probably corrode the panel frames and mounting system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    simagic wrote: »
    I've seen on several posts to clean panel with dish washing detergent. Isn't Windex (or similar product) better?.. Doesn't detergent leave a film and then rinsing leave mineral deposits (as I've read on posts where people want to cool their panels) ?
    I have easy access to my panel ( on the deck).. Why not Windex??

Window cleaner like Windex costs more and is not as easy to use (you need to wipe off panels individually, and sometimes access isn't that easy). Unless you have hard water (high mineral content), dish detergent and rinse well works fine. Some even use a rinse agent to negate the hard water problems. Why spend more money or do more work than you have to? Most of the time I just let the rain do the washing, and only go after the stubborn bits like sticky tree pollen.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

What about vinegar and water ? My wife uses this as a natural glass cleaner and a fabric softener in our HE washing machine.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    What about vinegar and water ? My wife uses this as a natural glass cleaner and a fabric softener in our HE washing machine.

i don't see why not, but don't use too much vinegar as that is an acid.

i guess i better amend what i meant here. the vinegar would need to be diluted in water to weaken its acidity. to use pure vinegar would not be good.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd avoid corrosives like ammonia and vinegar, and use the mildest soap to get the goo off, rinse well. I do mine in the early morning, while it's still wet from the night dew, and before the sun heats it up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I use the same soap solution used to wash my vehicles. Very mild soap, with a bit of carnuba wax in it. Works great for removing dirt, pollen, and bird poop. The little bit of wax helps stuff from sticking to the glass.

I also use the same RV brush (Walmart) used to wash my truck and camper. Soft bristles don't damage anything, and the extendable handle allows the panels to be cleaned while standing upright.

clean2a.jpg

clean1a.jpg