mx60 diversion load relay

baja1
baja1 Registered Users Posts: 13
if I get this correctly I can use the aux setting to energize a relay to run a freezer with excess solar power after the batteries are fully charged. does naws sell these relays? thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: mx60 diversion load relay
    baja1 wrote: »
    if I get this correctly I can use the aux setting to energize a relay to run a freezer with excess solar power after the batteries are fully charged. does naws sell these relays? thanks!

Ya mean dis ting? http://www.solar-electric.com/regest12vosi.html ;)
  • baja1
    baja1 Registered Users Posts: 13

thank you sir! and the price is right.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

You have to watch when running a relay off the MX60's aux function. There's no problem setting it up with delays and run times, but if you're running a refrigeration compressor (frige, freezer or in my case a de-humidifier) you might run into a cycling problem. These items like to have a 5 minute or so delay from power off to power on again. I'm not sure how long a delay you can program (been a while) in for startup.

Some here are more experienced with this, just remember you don't want your appliance cycling rapidly or it just won't work.

Ralph
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

I concur with Ralph. Too much load to be starting and stopping when it's cycling. The DL acts like a voltage dimmer switch and very gently transfers the excess to the load. My mini-fridge is only 50-60 watts and it's almost too small for my DL. It's hard to find anything in D/C that's just right for the DL.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.