Price of Solar panels goes from $1.65 to $1.20 in one year?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
At the beginning of this year solar panels were selling for around $1.65/watt
Now they are around $1.50 a watt. (that's just my observations)

Talked to a couple of companies saying I wanted to buy some panels for a system I will help install for a relative in the Fall and they told me to wait because the prices would likely come down further.

Then I read the RSS feeds section of this web site and someone said at the San Fran conference the prices might go as low as $1.20/watt by end of the year.

On a 4kw system that means a savings of around $1200 in panel hardware.

At the rate these panel prices are dropping it makes sense to wait and see how low they can go!

Sad thing is installations prices might not lower and that is actually the bulk of the cost of most solar systems since most people aren't going to DIY.

If only building integrated panels were more fashionable elminating the cost of a roof with glass that should last the life of the roof would make it even more attractive to go solar.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Price of Solar panels goes from $1.65 to $1.20 in one year?

I suspect they will slowly go down over time, but IMHO they are approaching the material cost currently, due to a glut on the market from several factors, the economy, German and French reducing/removing the buying tarriffs for solar energy, and the fulfilment of those of use who wish to support/have solar in the states, due to the US tax credit incentive.

Then again I think I read here that China is starting an $800 billion solar incentive so who knows...

I bought at $3 a watt thinking it was low and later as low as $2 a watt delievered thinking that was low...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Somebody will revive this thread in 2 years and say...

... wow, just bought my panels at $0.75/watt, and my system payoff time is 3 1/2 years. Do you think they'll ever get down to $0.50???

At which point most of the "old timers" here will be slapping their foreheads and reaching for a bottle of Jack.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • techntrek
    Options

Ok, I was kidding in my last post, but by complete serendipity I stumbled on this article a few minutes ago, which talks about the costs of solar systems:

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2011/07/anatomy-of-a-solar-pv-system-how-to-continue-ferocious-cost-reductions-for-solar-electricity

About 1/4 of the way down it predicts dollar/watt costs of $1 in 2 years.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

The cost of polysilicon has fallen 30% in June. That's not year-over-year, that's month-over-month. It was $80 a kilo in April and it's around $50 a kilo today. And all the major producers are doubling to tripling output through the end of this year. Expect sub-$1 a watt panel prices soon.
  • rollandelliott
    Options

interesting this article states it is a 6 year low, partially due to european subsidy cuts
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-16/solar-panel-raw-material-plunges-to-six-year-low-helping-trina.html

I think anything to make the technology cheaper will benefit a lot of people:D
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

Yesterday I saw $1.35/Watt for the 'house' brand, while other manufacturer's panel were not discounted at all. If prices were falling industry-wide, then why (deeply) discount only your own? Do they have a container ship full of questionable product, or will other merchants try to price-match?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    Yesterday I saw $1.35/Watt for the 'house' brand, while other manufacturer's panel were not discounted at all. If prices were falling industry-wide, then why (deeply) discount only your own? Do they have a container ship full of questionable product, or will other merchants try to price-match?

You only started on the reasons; Perhaps they are a small company and only warehouse these panels and figure a failing business plan, or they figured they could sell for less, but people seamed uninterested in No Name, likely non UL panel, or they see a trend and saw that silicon prices have fallen and figure they can replace panels for a cheaper cost, Many don't stock a large number of panels, so pricing on name brand panels, might be based on placing a $10K, $25K+ order so their costs are higher for unstocked items since they will have to shelter and insure the balance of an order, until they find a buyer...

Business doesn't always make sense, for quite a while Bill Gates would give you cash back, as much as 40% up to $400 per purchase on Ebay, all you had to do was use his Bing search engine to get there, Yesss sirrreee Bob, I purchased panels and a composing toilet as well as a couple netbooks got over $1000 back, figure I saved $4-500(maybe more) buying this way over other purchase options. A third party giving you cash for buying from someone else... Great business plan, he did capture 15% of the search audience though, not sure if he made money to cover through ad sales.

It's just business, sounds like the price isn't low enough since you obviously want the name brand panels...lol
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • bmet
    Options

Name brand isn't key, its the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is". At $1.35/Watt, I wouldn't mind the shipping cost, but are those panels cracked, bent, or otherwise unsellable to anyone else?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Yesss sirrreee Bob, I purchased panels and a composing toilet as well as a couple netbooks.................

that just made my day with pictures of the toilet singing to you in a melodic way every time it's used.8):p:p:p
  • rollandelliott
    Options

"At $1.35/Watt, I wouldn't mind the shipping cost, but are those panels cracked, bent, or otherwise unsellable to anyone else? "

If it's the company I think they are talking about they are blemished cells (cosmetic) solar cells and the price is $1.34 now and $1.25 if you buy more than a palette ( 28 ).
  • techntrek
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    that just made my day with pictures of the toilet singing to you in a melodic way every time it's used.8):p:p:p

Run away. Very fast. Don't look back.

That's what I would do if my toilet started singing to me!
  • SolarLurker
    SolarLurker Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Options

Here in PA installers are charging just as much to install as a year ago or even two. The problem is there are some many midldle men in the mix, and no one has come up with a really great looking, fast, simple and inexpensive way to mount these things.
  • rollandelliott
    Options

you're right each location is unique and requires different mounting methods, but i'll disagree with your comment that no one has found a "fast, simple and inexpensive way'

there are many rack methods and most of them are fast simple and a fair cost. ground mounts can be made from off the shelf aluminum extrusions or good treated lumber and by far the easiest. The problem is many people do not have land to do a ground mount. It really is the cheapest, especially when you go to reroof your home and have to pay to reinstall all the solar panels a second time.

do you really want to mount expensive panels on an inexpensive, cheap rack, just to see the wind blow them over.
  • bmet
    Options

I see small augers at various discount stores. Maybe these would be strong enough to ground a rack.
    you're right each location is unique and requires different mounting methods, but i'll disagree with your comment that no one has found a "fast, simple and inexpensive way'

there are many rack methods and most of them are fast simple and a fair cost. ground mounts can be made from off the shelf aluminum extrusions or good treated lumber and by far the easiest. The problem is many people do not have land to do a ground mount. It really is the cheapest, especially when you go to reroof your home and have to pay to reinstall all the solar panels a second time.

do you really want to mount expensive panels on an inexpensive, cheap rack, just to see the wind blow them over.
  • troybrownrigg
    troybrownrigg Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options

Ul solar didn't charge for shipping off the E-Bay site!
    "At $1.35/Watt, I wouldn't mind the shipping cost, but are those panels cracked, bent, or otherwise unsellable to anyone else? "

If it's the company I think they are talking about they are blemished cells (cosmetic) solar cells and the price is $1.34 now and $1.25 if you buy more than a palette ( 28 ).
  • bmet
    Options
    Ul solar didn't charge for shipping off the E-Bay site!

There's a catch in there somewhere. panels that are too large for UPS aren't going to be shipped out of the goodness of their hearts.