Placement of Generator Shed

Options
westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
Well the foundation footings for the new place go in in a couple of days.
The PV array location has been staked out and , happily, will be about 20 feet closer to the house than originally estimated.
Now comes the question of where to find a permanent home for the generator(s) to live...
In an effort to keep line loss to a minimum I would like it to be as close as possible but far enough to keep the droning noise to a bearable level...

Are there any NEC issues I should be aware of, such as min distance to residence or ???

Opinions/experiences as to the placement welcome also.

thanks
Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Placement of Generator Shed

"Backroad" can tell you about V1 and V2 of his off-power system...

Another fire n' back to ground zero

Nigtomdaw recommended concrete block and lots of wire screening for rodent proofing.
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    On a lighter note build in a rodent free enclosure, I made my 2100 ah 24v battery bank well insulated with 2 inch Styrofoam (aka as rodent bedding) Didn't seal the top off when I should as I have done now with Plexiglas, Created a nice not too hot not 2 cold battery environment, placed an add in Rodent Gazette got s$$t loads of applications , made a fine paradise for Roddy the Rat.Killed him got Rudolph and Ralph to replace him, Fed them to death with rat nosh, hoovered uploads of Styrofoam bedding, still waiting to see if the little buggers can survive on PVC tubing (aka auto watering system ) and Rat grub. They really are persistent squatters. Problem is I cant squeeze Felix inside the compartment to fix the problem.

Just a minor prob in my off grid Nirvanna................rats. mices I hateem to pieces:grr

Finished Rant Sos:p

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

NEC regs? In the Cariboo? You've got to be kidding! :p

What's with the "droning noise"? Mitsubishi a bit loud, is it? I know it's not the Honda 'cause I've got two and they're quiet as mice. Okay, gasoline-power mecho-mice.

If your Mitsu has 240 VAC out you can run quite a long ways without too much V-drop on some reasonable size wire. I don't know what your topography is like exactly, but if you point the exhaust towards the wooded hillside (wild guess :roll:) it will suck up a lot of noise. If the gen shed is made of thick logs that will suck up a lot of noise too.

Otherwise, whatever you're comfortable with. Try running the gen in a couple of different locations on site without a shed and go sit where your house is; see how the sound reflects.

My Onan and my B&S both made so much noise it didn't matter where they were. The little Hondas are so nice! :D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Eric,

Unless you are using high current draw items like shop tools, distance (within some reason is not a real issue. We have a 1000Ix wired to a number of buildings, with a total distance of ~ 400'. A bit of line loss, but all we run in the farthest building is CFLS,, maybe 50-100 watts.

If you use the Mitsubishi for a shop genny, perhaps leave it close to the shop and live with the noise.

Tony

PS. You want noise, how about my Lister SL2 5 kw air cooled diesel.

T
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

put them as far as you reasonably can for safety sake as one does not wish to burn down the cabin. go by typical nec requirements, and i'll bet it applies for canadians too, for sizing the wire with xx amps flowing in it and protect that wiring via conduit. you could upsize the wire if you like and put the generators hundreds of feet away, but that's more $ in wire. the v drop calculator in my sig line will work for ac too and give you a good idea of what voltages you are likely to expect to see with various distances.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Niel;

It's so cold up here in Canada (as everyone knows) that we can actually run 12.5% more current through our wires than you can in the states. :p

But seriously; in our tinder-dry Summers (not this year) spark ignition is a real concern in the wilderness. Since you can't foresee every circumstance, some distance and frequent inspection is a good idea. My gen is 30' from the cabin. The fuel is stored in a different building 50' away. Of course if a forest fire comes through (very nearly did last year) it will matter very little, as they can reduce hectares of land to ash in a matter of minutes. :cry: