How to connect Honda EU3000

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi. I have a small solar system consisting of three 12-volt panels totaling 250 watts, four T-105s, a 1,500 cheapo inverter, and currently a SolarPro/Sunsei CC20 controller. When I bought this property the solar system was installed as is and I connected my Warrior Toybox camper to it and utilize the converter in the camper to hook up my Honda generator for a/c power and to charge my batteries when needed. The d/c cables from my converter are extended to connect to the four T-105s. I need to replace the batteries and I also want to replace the controller because it always gives me erroneous data (the voltage of the batteries doesn't always match reality and I never get the amps from the panels that I expect) and I don't trust it is doing its job. My question is am I doing any damage to the controller by operating the generator the way I do. I do not disconnect the array when I turn on the generator. I hope I explained this clearly. Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: How to connect Honda EU3000

Welcome to the forum.

You know, this may very well be the #1 charging question asked! At least it seems popular of late. :D
    The answer is: it does not matter how many charge sources you connect to your batteries. All of them should be regulated, so none will be damaged by or cause damage to the others. Sounds like your solar charge controller is junk.

By the way, 250 Watts of panel isn't going to do much for your four Trojans. They'd total 450 Amp hours @ 12 Volts, and would like to see about 865 Watts to charge them. 235 is low even for one set. Sure you need both? You'll be running the gen a lot, I suspect.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hi. This is a vacation place in Baja and is only used a few days every other month to a week at most. During the summer I nearly always run the generator for a/c during the night. When the generator is not on the batteries are powering a small chest freezer and 12-volt fans in the camper. Thanks for your assistance.
  • System2
    Options

Hi. I understand what you are saying about the panels not being optimum for four T-105s. But, is it really a problem if the vast majority of time they are not being used because I am not there and are just sitting there being charged by the array? When I am there I do use the generator to supplement the array and to provide ac power for the microwave, coffee pot, a/c, etc. Is 250 watts enough to adequately maintain the batteries after I leave? By the way, I just bought a morningstar sunsaver MPPT. And gasoline is not an issue. I am primarily there to fish so I buy a lot of gasoline and have no problems with running the generator as much as I need to. Like I said earlier, the battery bank really is only used for the inverter to power the chest freezer, 12-volt fans, and various other 12-volt items. Thank you.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

For maintaining the batteries without any loads on the 250 Watts should be fine. Charge rate around 3%, which should be enough to stay ahead of the self-discharge rate.

Gasoline is not an issue? Boy I wish we could say that around here! :cry:
  • System2
    Options

Gas isn't an issue because I'm filling up my boat every other day. Five gallons for the generator is nothing compared to that. If I spent more time there I'd reconsider my energy needs and use of the generator. Thanks for the comments.