MX 60 fan problems

My Outback MX60 internal fan does not function properly, sometimes it works, sometimes it just makes a whining noise and does not push air. I received a new fan from Outback, but because of work commitments, I haven't been able to get to my vacation home over the last few months to replace it. I had to leave the charge controller online as I have a drip system/pump that needs to be left operating when I'm not there.

Energy use is none to very minimal when we're not there and the controller is not doing much more than just topping off the batteries, if charging at all. I hoped that with low, or no charging, the controller wouldn't heat up to the point it needs the fan much.

My questions are:

Should I be worried about overheating of the unit causing additional failures in the MX60? During the last few months the daytime temp in the room that houses the controller was probably about 80 degrees.

If so, what additional problems might I expect if the unit did fail due to overheating?

Thanks.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: MX 60 fan problems

if just trickle charging i agree it should be ok. i would not go using very much battery power until you've replaced the fan as if made to run long term the heat would build.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

My MX generally leads a pretty sheltered life in my garage, but I’ve seen (heard) it get warm enough in the summer to cause the fan to run in bulk, absorb, and float modes. If the MX gets really hot (display = “MXtooHot”), it’ll shut down for a while until it cools off.

Replacing the fan isn’t too hard if you’re comfortable with basic hand tools. The instructions are available here: http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_manuals/MX%20control%20board%20replacement%207-14-06.pdf

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Bigwooo
    Bigwooo Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭

Thanks Neil and Crewzer,

I've been worried I'd melt down my charge controller since I haven't been able to get to it to replace the fan. I had remembered reading it would shut down if it got too hot somewhere, but couldn't find where I read it, although I'm sure if it heats up too often that can't be good.

Crewzer I looked at the instructions in the link...seems pretty simple, thanks.

Unfortunately I can't get to it for several more weeks, but I'm less worried now thanks to your input, plus the weather is cooling off so the room won't be so warm.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Your MX60 should be just fine while you're away.

boB :D
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

We were getting "MX 2 HOT" on our MX60s. Didn't want to mess with new internal fan right NOW. Went to store, bought $6 6" fan. Suppose you could switch it on a thermostat if you aren't around, but it cools the MXs just fine, no more off and on when hot. Power jumped up 20%.

Try a cheap fan, no install. Works like a breeze.