Power cat batteries?

Options
santaigo
santaigo Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
I have a chance to pick two of these up, used, age unknown for $75 total. Can't find anything on the internet about them - anyone know about them? They weigh 135 pounds each and are 14.74" X 7" X 13.5".
Bat1.jpg
Bat2.jpg
Bat3.jpg

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Power cat batteries?

There was a time when there were dozens of battery manufacturers in the world. Then it slimmed down to about six. Now it seems to have gone back up again. Many batteries, however, are made by the same companies and sold under different names. Worse, some names have different batteries made by different companies. These seem to be made by Rodgers (?) of Australia (?). I found the reference through boat equipment, so they may not be "true" deep cycles but rather the hybrid RV type, although the case looks industrial. Perhaps designed for commercial boats? Maybe john_p is familiar with them.

Used batteries tend to be worth scrap metal price and no more. Even if the SG is good and they appear to have proper Voltage, even if you can do load testing on them ... you just never know how they've been treated. They could fail tomorrow, or last ten years. Okay for non-critical application. Charge 'em up and see how they last.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i think delco made batteries of similar look especially the little eye thingy. now that was years ago and it is possible somebody else picked up on it.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    i think delco made batteries of similar look especially the little eye thingy. now that was years ago and it is possible somebody else picked up on it.

Yes, the Delco "magic eye" built-in hydrometer. :D It's no longer a Delco exclusive, though.
    You can't even buy Camel batteries anymore, and they were the first "sealed" FLA's.
  • santaigo
    santaigo Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Options

http://www.crownbattery.com/PDF/Deep%20Cycle%20Batteries.pdf
    I think they might be Crown.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    santaigo wrote: »

yes, i think you are right about that.