Xantrex DR1512 Says DC over Voltage @ 13.24V

Options
tr0y
tr0y Solar Expert Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
Hi All -

I went out to my RV today to go camp this evening, and checked voltage on my battery bank and it was floating @ 13.24V (4 6V AGMs, Xantrex C30, 500W of panels on top) all looked good so I went to start the Xantrex DR1512 and it made the warning buzz sound, would not invert then the red LED came on that says high DC voltage. So I checked the bank again with the multi-meter 13.22V.

Tried to start inverter again same problem.

So I went to the combiner box and shut down the voltage from the panels, measured at battery terminals 12.84V, tried to start inverter again and still a high battery voltage warning, and no inverter start.

The inverter has been of for approximately 40 days, has not gotten wet, connections look good. What am I missing ?

I'm Stumped, anyone have any ideas ?

THanks

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex DR1512 Says DC over Voltage @ 13.24V

you may have to check all of your wires, connections, fuses, etc. it sounds like it may be encountering a voltage drop due to a high resistance point causing the inverter to kick out. as a possibility the inverter could also be faulty. if not these things then are you sure it reached its full charge by going to the absorb voltage setpoint for if it only charged up to the 13.24v point then the batteries are severely undercharged and would then also set off the alarm. i'm assuming not the last one as you give the impression this has been a working system for a long time and severely undercharged batteries would not last for a long time.

can you test the batteries with a high current dc load other than your inverter as it could give rise to a clue to the problem?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Also check the Voltage at the inverter terminals when you turn the inverter on.

But it doesn't sound like good news for the inverter.
  • tr0y
    Options

Just checked voltage at inverter terminals, all connections, etc at inverter terminals voltage is 12.84V.

Do inverters just quit when doing nothing ? I have had one die but never when not in use.

Is there a hard reset or something I can do ?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Turn off/pull DC power from the inverter for a minute or so and try again.

But I am not too hopeful.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tr0y
    Options

Did remove the DC with no change in status ... ;(
  • niel
    Options

when you measured the 12.84v at the inverter what was the voltage at the batteries?
  • tr0y
    Options

The same, and if I open the circuits at the combiner everything comes up to 13.24 to 13.29 depending upon where I measure.

The 12V side of the electrical system is working great, just means no fridge or micro.

Anyone used one of the newer cheap Xantrex freedom series ? Or anyone have a preowned 1500 watt-ish inverter charger they want to part with ?
  • niel
    Options

with no loads present there should not be a variation like that in the voltage. even with loads you better start looking around for those higher resistance points.
  • tr0y
    Options

Good Morning All -

I could not take any more frustration yesterday so I took the afternoon away from inverter issues.

I went out just before 7am and took voltage readings across the board, I am currently well north of Minneapolis, MN and in a pretty shaded area, here are my readings:

At Rest No Loads:

13.02V @ Combiner Box - Approximately 21 feet from C30
    13.01V @ C30 Charge Controller - Less than 1 foot
    13.01V @ Battery Bank
    13.01 / 13.00 @ Inverter terminals - Approximately 9 feet from battery bank I think this is more an issue with my meter than cables or connections

I think those readings seem reasonable.

So any thoughts ?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Difficult to say without any "when it was working" Voltages to compare to. Don't worry about hundredths of a Volt; you can not get a reading that accurate.

But 13 Volts output from the panels? That is far below charge levels.
    Still, at that Voltage the inverter should turn on.
    I would leave the inverter off and watch the charging system to start with. It should be bringing the batteries up to 14+ Volts by midday. If it doesn't there may be something wrong with either the controller (which can be checked by being bypassed to see if the panels put out Vmp under load) or the panels (don't know the configuration).
    As a long shot you might disconnect the charging system and try the inverter just off the batteries. Maybe you already have.

The only way to track down a problem in a system is to take it apart (so to speak) check each component is functioning on its own, then reassemble 'til you find which bit isn't doing its job. It's tedious, but often necessary.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

The panel/system voltages were measured at 7am--so there was probably not much sun on the solar array. Plus this was a Xantrex C30 PWM charge controller--so solar panel and battery bank voltage would be nearly identical if the C30 was in bulk charging mode.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tr0y
    Options

The readings were taken like I said at 7am and I am currently north of Minneapolis out in the woods. The trailer when I took the readings was shaded and I knew the array would not be putting out decent voltage.

In full sun with cool clear sky at elevation I have seen as high 20V from the array, but here I have been seeing 16.5ish midday, the C30 is set to put between 14.2V and 14.5V volts into the batteries in bulk / absorb stages and drops off to 13.1V to 13.3V in float, with little dials to turn it's just not as accurate as the DRO's on my Outback gear at home.

I have disconnected the Array, the C30 and tried just batteries, No Change in outcome.

I have also plugged into shorepower and it seems to pass the power through to the 120V side of the electrical system, the charger seems put a charge on the batteries if they need it. Plugged in yesterday the charger said it was sitting at float after a few minutes as it always does when it has been sunny out.

I shot a short video of what the inverter is doing and will post it shortly and a link to it, I'm uploading it over a very slow link.

Thanks for the help !
  • niel
    Options

can you drain a bit from your batteries (disconnecting your pvs or any other charge sources) to insure there will be a good charge current flowing when you reconnect the pvs putting the cc into full bulk charge and try the same thing of measuring the voltages after you reconnect the the pvs? this is the wiring under the strain of current and would reveal if there's any high resistance points rearing their ugly heads.
  • tr0y
    Options

I'll go give draining some power off and see what I get.

Here is a link to a video of what the inverter is doing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23536619/VID_20110625_135439.3gp
  • niel
    Options

link had a 404 error.
  • tr0y
    Options

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23536619/VID_20110625_135439.3gp

I just watched it there, it won't stream you have to DL it
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just a thought,

How cold is the inverter when you turn it on?
  • tr0y
    Options

Best guess when I first tried high 50's ? That was outside air temp and it had not been running... What are you thinking ? Heat has never seemed to be an issue as I spend a lot of time in the southwest deserts and never had any issues

Thanks
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

He's probably thinking moisture condensation inside the unit.

We're just trying to cover every possible angle.
    But it still doesn't look good for that inverter. :cry: