Go Solar!

Options
Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of Go Solar! products, like this 25-watt solar regulator? They look at a glance somewhat reminiscent of a similar-rated BZ product, which makes me slightly nervous as I have not had a good experience with a BZ MPPT250, which I am looking to replace. Use is aboard a sailboat with about 140 watts of panels currently.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Go Solar!

Welcome to the forum.

No one here will be surprised at your disappointment with BZ products. :roll:

As for GoSolar/GoPower ...
    The parent company Carmanah has a good reputation here in Canada, if a bit pricey. But then everything is pricey here.
    A couple of forum members have GoPower inverters, and the reviews are mixed. One reported that the Voltage out was low, another said his has been working fine for over a year.

The charge controller in question is likely to be better than the El Cheapo Chinese knock-offs like Wellsee. Hopefully somebody here has had some actual experience.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

The Go Solar! controller retails for around $125 on some Internet sites, which is a pretty good price considering it comes with a built-in volt/amp meter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

If you are into monitoring your battery bank directly (state of charge, current going in/coming out)--Then don't "over spend" on meters for the charge controllers (some companies make good money on LCD displays as an option).

Look for a Battery Monitor instead (Victron Energy also has a couple of happy users here too). If you have a large/expensive battery bank, spending ~$150+ for a battery monitor can save your bank (especially if you have a spouse, kids, visitors that use your place/boat)--Much easier to tell them to start the genset when they read 50% on the panel instead of when the lights go out (and probably have already toasted your expensive battery bank). The more expensive ones have an external contact you could use for an alarm or to start a genset.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

In the case of the Go Solar, I'm not looking at it as a complete battery monitoring solution, just as a charge controller. But, there is a perfect location for the unit in an existing electrical panel in a spot where having a discrete but visible voltage display would be a good reminder--just an extra bonus of the unit, so to speak. Without having to do anything I could at a glance as I walk by get an idea of how the batteries are doing. The previous BZ unit had the same thing, and I found it very handy. For example, a couple of times it alerted me to a blown voltage regulator when I was running the engine. Of course if I get a different controller I could install a volt meter in the same area instead. It just seems for the money the Go Solar unit offers a lot of features and a good capacity (25 amps), but of course performance and durability are more important than price and that was what I was hoping someone might have some knowledge of.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

I speak from experience:

You will be impressed with the difference from a BZ! No matter what you buy.

Phil
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    Options
    As for GoSolar/GoPower ...
    The parent company Carmanah has a good reputation here in Canada, if a bit pricey.
    A couple of forum members have GoPower inverters, and the reviews are mixed. One reported that the Voltage out was low...

The charge controller in question is likely to be better than the El Cheapo Chinese knock-offs like Wellsee. Hopefully somebody here has had some actual experience.

The one that reported problems with Go Power inverter was me.
    Now, I can only speak about the Go Power SW 2000 inverter: Voltage was LOW from the start (109.6 volts out of the box. Not good enough for my 120 volts appliances.) It failed beyond repair after less than a year.
    Talking about service: Non existent. In fact, when one of the fans of the unit failed after one/two months of use, I emailed them. They wrotte back in about 48 hours (not bad, actually), to tell me THEY DIDN'T HAVE SPARE PARTS.
    Don't know anything about other products.