Solar Chill Evap. Coolers

Fe-Wood
Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
I'm looking at buying a Solar Chill Cooler. Yes, its finally getting hot here in Sunny California!!
I'm looking at either the 1412 or 1812. I have 280 Sq ft to cool.

Anyone have one? How do you like it and how does it work for you?

Thanks!!

Comments

• SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Re: Solar Chill Evap. Coolers
    Fe-Wood wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a Solar Chill Cooler. Yes, its finally getting hot here in Sunny California!!
    I'm looking at either the 1412 or 1812. I have 280 Sq ft to cool.

Anyone have one? How do you like it and how does it work for you?

I have the 2412. We use it to cool down our 300 sq. ft. greenhouse. [I needed the big model as the greenhouse is a heat engine.] I opted for their control panel, too, and it was a good decision as I can set the thermostat and etc. and just let it go all summer with little hassle on my part.

I installed ours in June '08, so we've had it about three years. It is very well built, quite impressive, really. And it operates very well and does a good job keeping our greenhouse cooled down. In fact, I have gotten to where I exhaust some of the air from the greenhouse [pushed out by the swamp cooler] through our house, up the stairs and out the bedroom window. This gives us the added benefit of some cooling in the house as well. [The greenhouse is built on to one end of the house and has French doors into the kitchen, so it is easy to route the air flow this way.]

The control pkg. gives one the option to dump the water in the sump overboard via a timer which controls an additional small pump to do so. Our hard water would otherwise be a source of more labor on my part, the minerals concentrate in the sump during the day as the water molecules evaporate. I normally clear the sump this way once a day or so. I have had not significant build-up of mineral deposits in three years. There is some, of course, but not much. If you don't have hard water, this may not matter to you.

There has been only one problem, last summer the circulating water pump went out. I ordered one from SC and it arrived in a couple days. In fact, I ordered an additional one so I would have it just in case this happens again.

The people at SC have been very good to deal with. They take the time to answer any questions and they deliver on their promises. No hassle, no problems.

I am very happy with mine, I should have bought it years sooner.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a customer with one and they really like it! About 2 weeks every summer the desert monsoon sneaks up here in the Sierra and it really does not help during those times.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Fe-Wood
    Fe-Wood Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭

Thank s for the reviews!!!

My tenent is going to order one. We don't get the "monsoons" but we do have hard water... Might a good idea to get the timer... I hadn't thought about using one for the green house.....Good idea!! Thanks;)