New to solar

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Dear Brothers

I am in the process of purchasing a single story southward facing northern California home with a tile roof. The owner of the home produced PG&E statement indicating an average of 1106 kWh per month usage. I and am interested in installing a solar system and tieing it to the grid per code and seizing as much tax benefits and rebate as possible.

Many questions have come up when this "Pandora's box" was opened. What scares me are the horror stories and being led around by the nose by an opportunistic salesperson. Yet I am not looking to "cheap out"

Many questions abound but this one inparticular............ should I purchase the components of my own choosing and hire a competent contractor of my choosing to do the install?

Thank you

Jerry

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: New to solar

IMHO:
    Tile Roof = expert install, unless you are skilled in working on the tiles to mount the rails.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New to solar
    mofosheee wrote: »
    Dear Brothers

I am in the process of purchasing a single story southward facing northern California home with a tile roof. The owner of the home produced PG&E statement indicating an average of 1106 kWh per month usage. I and am interested in installing a solar system and tieing it to the grid per code and seizing as much tax benefits and rebate as possible.

Many questions have come up when this "Pandora's box" was opened. What scares me are the horror stories and being led around by the nose by an opportunistic salesperson. Yet I am not looking to "cheap out"

Many questions abound but this one inparticular............ should I purchase the components of my own choosing and hire a competent contractor of my choosing to do the install?

Thank you

Jerry

On thing you could do is if you find a company that you think is reputable , have them give you references for their installs that are similar to yours and go look at the workmanship. Also check the registry of contractors and see who hold the license, look to see if they are insured & bonded. Also the BBB will have stuff on the most grievous contractors.

While this is no guarantee, these guys mostly subcontract the roof work out so be aware if they tell you if the same crew would do yours.

Do your homework, I wish I had dug a bit deeper but mine was just OK.