Off-grid and made it work

Options
geosierranevada
geosierranevada Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
Hi, this is my first post to this Great forum. I have been reading and learning from all of you for the last 5 Years. Just wanted to introduce myself and tell all of you that this is an excellent forum. Our off-grid system works great with no big problems since I installed 9 years ago. I did not start out with cheap batteries as you can see below, just got lucky with my system design. Living at 6500 ft, the panels work good. We average about 8 ft of snow every winter with a low temp of 10 degrees F. The Wife and I added 1700 sq ft to the house that was already a 1000 sq ft. We heat with 2 wood stoves and propane heaters. We use a full size refrig. with ice maker and a chest freezer (both 110 volt). We cook and heat water with propane. Thank You for allowing me to be a part of your forum.

2000 W. BP panels pole mounted - 300 watts Kaneka panels (for well pump) - 2 Trace SW4024 inverters - MX 60 charge controllers - 6 Rolls 4-KS-25PS batteries - Bergy XL1 wind generator - 12KW Isuzu backup generator - Grundfos 3SQF-2 well pump filling a 5000 Gallon water tank. Living off-grid (grid 20 miles away) for the last 9 years in the Sierra Nevada Mtns of California.
Off grid for 20 years. 5KW panels, Trace sw4024, Bergy XL1 wind generator, 3 EG4 Lifep04 200amphr batteries  3 SQF 2 well pump, 12kw back up gen.  Not easy living in the wilderness but it keeps you busy

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Off-grid and made it work

Very good, and welcome to the forum. Keep in touch,

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

How do you like the wind turbine? Any kwh per month type figures?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • geosierranevada
    geosierranevada Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    Options

Bill, The Bergy is great, it has been up for 8 years. I am going to order new bearings and blades for it and replace at 10 years. Has been very dependable. I do not meter output on it but I would like to start. I am open to suggestions on what type of meter to use. Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, I had to cook hamburgers and chicken for 100 people today.
    Thank You
    George

2000 W. BP panels pole mounted - 300 watts Kaneka panels (for well pump) - 2 Trace SW4024 inverters - MX 60 charge controllers - 6 Rolls 4-KS-25PS batteries - Bergy XL1 wind generator - 12KW Isuzu backup generator - Grundfos 3SQF-2 well pump filling a 5000 Gallon water tank. Living off-grid (grid 20 miles away) for the last 9 years in the Sierra Nevada Mtns of California.
    Off grid for 20 years. 5KW panels, Trace sw4024, Bergy XL1 wind generator, 3 EG4 Lifep04 200amphr batteries  3 SQF 2 well pump, 12kw back up gen.  Not easy living in the wilderness but it keeps you busy