Anyone having problems getting Emails from Forum?

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Is anyone here having problems getting emails form the Forum?

I have about 5-8 or so new registrations over the last month or so that did not get the conformation emails (I have already confirmed them manually).

Take care,
-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Re: Anyone having problems getting Emails from Forum?

I get an occasional PM, and the notification email has always gotten through. Other than that, I don't really get emails from the forum...

I will note that I signed up for the NAWS email newsletter the first day or two that they added it and have never gotten any newsletters - but that's not likely a forum related issue.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

dwh;

If you check the right box you should get an e-mail every time there's a new post on any thread you've "subscribed" to.

Bill;

I've noticed some new users click "no" on receiving Admin e-mails. I'd suspect if they do that they won't get the confirmation e-mail.
  • BB.

Good suggestion Marc (Cariboocoot).

I checked the last new user that had problems--and their account settings look fine.

Regarding the Emails from NAWS--I asked Rick about that and he has been buried running the business--but appreciates that people are asking about the emails.

This is last one I received May 4th (he has some specials on a controller and some solar panels--but I will not put those up):
    Improving System Efficiency & Performance

This month we will focus on optimizing the power output of your solar system. By making simple adjustments to your array and performing some routine maintenance on your equipment, you can usually increase the output, performance and efficiency of your setup. While all systems are a little different, most will respond positively to the same basic improvements.
    First lets focus on the solar panels. This is arguably the most important equipment in a solar system. The panels are responsible for producing energy from the sun's rays and sending the power to a battery bank or your local utility grid through an inverter. The level of sunlight your panels receive will determine how much power your array will produce. If your panels are dirty, they will not be producing their maximum power. This is easy to fix by simply washing the glass surface with soap and water. If you don't have easy access to your panels, spraying them with a garden hose will also help. Another factor to consider is the angle at which your panels are tilted towards the sun. The angle of the sun changes throughout the year and a few seasonal adjustments can help maximize the amount of sunlight hitting your panels. You will see maximum output when your panels are exactly perpendicular to the sun's rays. Wattsun provides a simple on-line calculator for determining the proper tilt angle based upon your latitude. If you enter your latitude into their program it will tell you the proper angle for each month of the year. It's not necessary to change the angle every month. We generally recommend adjusting your angle with every change of the season. If your array is fixed, very large or difficult to adjust, you may want to consider setting the angle to maximize output for the time of year when you use the most power. By keeping your panels clean and making seasonal adjustments to the tilt angle, you should notice some improvement in power output.
    Your system wiring (modules, combiner boxes, batteries, inverter, etc.) can also impact the overall performance. Poor electrical connections increase the resistance of a circuit which translates into lost power. It's always a good idea to visually inspect your wiring for damaged insulation or bad connections. Not only will bad connections reduce efficiency, but it can also be dangerous. They can heat up and cause damage to your conductors and/or equipment. This is especially true for the battery terminal connections. Batteries are capable of storing and releasing very large amounts of power. If your battery connections are not properly torqued, you could be losing power. Battery terminal connections should be checked regularly if they're installed in a high vibration environment. Vibrations will loosen mechanical connections over time. If your battery cables are badly corroded, they may need to be replaced. Corroded cables will adversely affect the efficiency of your system. The corrosion is not always limited to the terminal ends. If not cleaned, the corrosion will spread under the insulation and down the wire. If this has happened, you either have to cut off the corroded portion of wire or replace the entire wire. Dirty batteries can also be a problem. It's possible for dirty batteries to leak power. So keep your batteries and other equipment clean. A 50/50 solution of baking soda and distilled water works very well for cleaning corroded terminals and the battery surfaces. If you want to help prevent corrosion, dielectric terminal grease works very well. Only apply the dielectric grease to clean terminals. If you are replacing your stud ring connectors, be sure you're using tinned copper. Regular copper connectors will corrode much faster. You should also be sure you're using properly sized wire. If your wire is too small, that will increase the voltage drop. The larger your voltage drop, the more power you're losing. If you're unsure about your wire size, feel free to email us and we can properly size your wire based on the National Electrical Code standards and set you up with new cables if necessary. Unnecessary wire lengths will also adversely affect the efficiency. The longer your wire run, the greater the resistance and overall voltage drop. If you have a lot of extra wire length, you may be able to improve performance by eliminating extra wire. The most efficient wire runs will be as short as possible. If you have any questions concerning your system efficiency, don't hesitate to contact us. For more information about deep cycle batteries and their maintenance, see our battery FAQ.

He is going to try to spend more time on the newsletters.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh;

If you check the right box you should get an e-mail every time there's a new post on any thread you've "subscribed" to.

Yea, but I never do that. Subscribing to threads can turn out to be a real pain in the email box. I'm a New Posts kind of guy.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you guys had me curious as to my own settings and i checked that mine are ok. i assume that naws sends them to emails that allow admin emails, but i don't know how they are handling that. it occurs to me that it does not actually need to go out via emails either as i'm sure there should be a way to send them via pm too. maybe not, as i don't know and i don't want to make more work for naws to do it that way as i'm only thinking out loud on this for it is to only go to members anyway. i say whatever works and is easiest for them to do, but the concept is great for in-house specials, so to speak.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several threads I've intentionally subscribed to with daily or weekly notification, and looking at my Subscriptions, I see there are some dailys that I did NOT get notices for. :(
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• dwh
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I have several threads I've intentionally subscribed to with daily or weekly notification, and looking at my Subscriptions, I see there are some dailys that I did NOT get notices for. :(

That could be a spam filter. I know Google's spam filter on Gmail does occasionally grab notifications that I get from a different forum. I know this because I actually do look in the spam folder every now and then. I had to add a filter to tell Gmail not to round file those messages.
  • BB.

The last one was a Google email address... I have asked others before to check spam folder--none have gotten back to me if it was in spam or not.

I have gmail and use PM notification all the time--and I have not lost any that I have seen.

-Bill :confused:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i don't opt for pm notifications as i go right to the forum after checking my mail anyway. you think it could be problematic bill?
  • BB.

Niel,

Not a problem... I did it a long time ago when I was not doing Moderating--So I was sometimes missing the PM listing. Just have not bother to change the settings.

Currently I have those going to my phone too--so if there is spam--I can get notified right away and take it down.

-Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a notice today, in the INBOX. none in the spam folder. So, it's not totally dead.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,