Using UniRac's on-line Estimator

Options
Vic
Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
For my current Off-Grid Solar project, have been considering using UniRac's SolarMount racking system. Have heard that their on-line estimator/calculator is very good, as are all of their online resources.

Have heen having trouble with errors caused by absent Snow Load values, and missing wind UpLift data (when there is no box to enter uplift data) and, on a different computer, now ONLY get "404 Error page cannot be ..." Have flushed cache, dumped cookies etc. This computer Windoze 7, IE 8. Have tried Firefox, but same result.

EDIT: Here is the link as copied from Wind-Sun Store UniRac page (as it appears in the address bar on MY computer):
http://www.unirac.com/estimator_pcula/

UniRac has responded, but so far no joy.

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas -- it is obvious, but am not a computer whizz. Thanks, Vic
Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Using UniRac's on-line Estimator

for what it's worth, i just tried it using vista and firefox and it's the same resulting 404 error.
  • Vic
    Options

OK, Thanks Niel. I always seem to take such travails a bit personally, so I feel better already! 73 Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

Google Chrome doesn't like it either.

Russ
  • Vic
    Options

OK, Thanks russ, The app must be broken, and they have taken it off-line.

UniRac was kind enuf to input data for one of my scenarios, and e-mail the results, but would like to run five or six different ones, and do not want to ask them to do that.

Thanks, guess it is not my computer that has the prob. Thanks niel and russ. Vic
  • niel
    Options

no problem vic. i didn't want you to think it was you that had the problem. maybe you should be asking them to put it back up rather than 6 different scenarios. then again, i think you probably already did ask.:roll:
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    russ wrote: »
    Google Chrome doesn't like it either.

Russ

404 is a server error message which means, "File Not Found". The client browser is irrelevant.
  • Vic
    Options

And, dwh, thanks for the reply. I figgered that the next question would be, well, what environment am I running ... I did say that am notta whizz ... Thanks.

AND, the problem is with cached data, but it is at Google. Was accessing the old site, which was updated about 3 weeks ago. The link from wind-sun's UniRac page is also stale.

So I needed to type unirac's address in the address bar, and poke around to find "Configure your Project" or something similar.

It WAS my problem. Thanks for the help, all.
    UniRac DOES have good support.

All happy now. VIc
  • niel
    Options

vic,
    all i see in going to their site is the "configure your project" you mentioned and you need to fill in the blanks to send it to them and they'll get back to you thing. i thought it was to be something that'll give info right then and there or am i missing something here?
  • Vic
    Options

Hi Niel,

Yes, it could be easier to use, but after all the blanks are filled in to suit the software, you can print it OR e-mail it to the address you specified in one of the fields. So you can run a number of scenarios in succession without direct involvement of UniRac.

This is some of the better design tool software available. And it builds a costed BOM (at list price), with part numbers, which is fairly cool.

Racks have gotten fairly expensive. For this project, their estimator shows $0.49/watt, or $119/ PV panel, which is 20% of panel cost. This is with good flashing for each roof penetration, ground lugs and clips. BUT sure $eems expen$ive to me. WHINE ! Prob can get about 15% off list or so.

At least can run the estimator now, AND Uni seems to have good support.

73, Thanks, Vic
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks Vic. I am the one (Ernest) who helped you out here at Unirac. We recently upgraded the web site and moved the estimators to a new home. We didn't consider all the random links around the internet to our existing estimators when we did that.

We are currently fixing that issue so no one else runs into the same problems as you. Once again, thanks for being so patient and bringing the issue to our attention. Let us know if you have any other issues. Thanks!
  • Vic
    Options

Thank you Ernest for the repid-response help. UniRac support is very good. When phoning UniRac, an actual HUMAN answers the phone! Thanks for the help, you folks have my business. Vic