desulfators

Options
fiddlehead
fiddlehead Solar Expert Posts: 29
Are desulfators good to use anyways, or just when folks do not charge properly?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: desulfators
    fiddlehead wrote: »
    Are desulfators good to use anyways, or just when folks do not charge properly?

In my opinion, not even then.
    It is practically impossible to set up a scientific test that would definitively determine if a desulphator did any good. The principal of applying a frequency to the plates to break up sulphor crystals has some basis in reality, and Morningstar (I think) has reported seeing similar results with PWM charge controllers. But the desulphator units themselves are many and varied, so it would be something of a hit-or-miss chance of seeing positive results. And remember that when a battery is sulphated there's more damage there than can be corrected by just "knocking the sulphur off".

On the whole, you;d be better off expending the money and effort in seeing to it that the batteries are properly charged for ensuring longest life.

Others may disagree. Feel free. It's not my money being spent. :roll:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Independent studies seem to indicate the only thing desulfators do, is line the pockets of those selling them. In fact there have been some indications that they can actually shorten the life of batteries by causing the shedding of good active material from the plates, along with any sulfated material - - if indeed they do anything at all to the battery. When they first came out, they were all the rage. That rage has evaporated as reality set in.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Independent studies seem to indicate the only thing desulfators do, is line the pockets of those selling them. .....

Please point to these studies, I haven't seen any myself, While I won't say they work, I have seen no definative evidence that they in them selves do damage, i have heard some suggest they interfer with some charge controllers, in fact some on this site.

The problem is, I can't say the 2 I have hooked up have helped, but I can say, I didn't expect the 4 golfcart batteries they are hooked up to to last 5 1/2 years including 4 summers of running an AC and regularly being brought down to 50% DOD.

I don't claim this as definative evidence that they work either. It's just a very hard study and any testing would just about have to be large and wastefully clinical as there are so many variables.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • david3
    david3 Solar Expert Posts: 37
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    The problem is, I can't say the 2 I have hooked up have helped, but I can say, I didn't expect the 4 golfcart batteries they are hooked up to to last 5 1/2 years including 4 summers of running an AC and regularly being brought down to 50% DOD.

Which model desulfator are you using?

I've been using a Pulse Tech Power Pulse desulfator on a pair of golf cart batteries I use in a UPS function. I also can't say if it's helped or not, but before hooking it up to the golf cart batteries, I hooked it up to a small SLA battery pack that was pretty much dead, and left it on for a few weeks. It seemed to revive the battery pack and I got quite a bit of useful life out if it before it finally died again.

I haven't tried to revive it a second time since I don't want to disconnect the Power Pulse from the golf cart batteries.

Anecdotal evidence only, I know.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have 2 solargizers(?) hooked up they are 24 volt by design and come with small 6x6 solar panels. I went ahead and hooked 2 up as they were originally intended for military/service vehicles.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a Denhart desulphator and it is recommended to expect 1 pound of battery , at best, to be treated per day... so if a 75# battery = 75 or more days depending on condition... I have noticed a slight improvement in my battery after it sitting all winter (4 1/2 months) unattended so will be watching as we start to pull power over the summer... a very slow treatment.

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

It's real hard to prove anything about them one way or the other other than the led's seem to work. I think they have helped some batteries I have used them on, others could have just been to far gone for anything to help them.

I just installed 10 new GC 2's, 225 amp from Sams yesterday. They'll last 5-6 years without anything on them. I will hang a desulfator on them, but it will take a long time for results. My guess would be, that I'll be replacing them in about the same amount of time. For $835.60 with tax, it has become a expense I expect and budget for.
  • SuperGreen
    SuperGreen Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options

Hi guys great information i just got a large forkilft battery 48 volt and i did this beacuse of what i have read....some companies advertise they will come restore the battery and guarantee the results....what are your comments on this...maybe the size of the lead plates makes a difference but I sure am pleased with what i have so far and can't wait for the results of this great post to buy some kind of unit to keep my old beast going for years and years to come thank you for all the great info on this site i enjoy reading your posts.:D
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

before you spend your cash on someone else 'recovering' your battery,make sure you have a good understanding of the info in the FAQ s for batteries and especially the EQ or Equalize process. That may be all they will do. There are a number of good threads here on EQ's, recommended reading.
    HTH
    Erric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SuperGreen wrote: »
    Hi guys great information i just got a large forkilft battery 48 volt and i did this beacuse of what i have read....some companies advertise they will come restore the battery and guarantee the results....what are your comments on this...maybe the size of the lead plates makes a difference but I sure am pleased with what i have so far and can't wait for the results of this great post to buy some kind of unit to keep my old beast going for years and years to come thank you for all the great info on this site i enjoy reading your posts.:D

be very skeptical of anybody saying that they will guarantee results on desulfating a battery for even among those that swear by them that even they admit it doesn't work in all cases. i contend that the proper charging and maintenance of a battery in the first place is the only real solution as you don't want it to get the opportunity to have hardened sulfates.
  • SuperGreen
    SuperGreen Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    before you spend your cash on someone else 'recovering' your battery,make sure you have a good understanding of the info in the FAQ s for batteries and especially the EQ or Equalize process. That may be all they will do. There are a number of good threads here on EQ's, recommended reading.
    HTH
    Erric

I agree getting money out of me is not easy....i have a simple rule i live by if i can not see it, feel it, touch it, or taste it...i simply dont believe it.... also if you look at your dictionary under the word cheap apparently they have a picture of me..:D
    I just read about several companies that offer the service... i will continue to listen and read all i can i am in no hurry to get taken..I will read into equalization

cheers and thank you
    john