Newbie needs help with backup solar power system design

Options
tombronx
tombronx Registered Users Posts: 6
Hello experts,

I am completely new to solar energy, and I'd admit I know nothing about electricity besides the formula Volt = Watt x Amp.

I'd like to design a small solar system to run 2 webcams 24/7, 1-2 CFLs, and to charge my laptop and smart phone. I'd like the system to be also able to handle an extra load of a TV for a couple of hours in case the main power goes out (been happening a lot lately in the South).

I am attaching my guestimate for the power consumption and what I have in mind to purchase for the solar system. I think need a larger inverter to handle the Wh, but I am not sure. I'd appreciate any critique and suggestion.

TIA,
Tom

Disclaimer: I don't work for any of the vendors/sellers mentioned in the images ... the names are there just to help my sanity.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Newbie needs help with backup solar power system design

First, the formula is Volts X Amps = Watts

Next, get yourself a kill-a-watt meter, and actually measure your estimated loads, their duration and then the total load.

All calculations START from properly estimated loads.

Avoid the biggest trap of RE, that is Ready, Fire, Aim!. Don't buy ANYTHING until you have a good idea of what it is you want to do, and how you can do it.

The two basic rules of PV is that most people underestimate their loads, while at the same time over estimate the amount of solar harvest they can get. Go to PVwatts.org and do a calculation as to how much a generic system can produce in your general location.

Read and understand all that you can about the process. This forum is a great resource for some very good, honest real world answers. There are some very smart folks here, who have forgotten more about RE than most of us will ever know. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Welcome to the forum, good luck, and keep in touch,

Tony
  • tombronx
    Options

Thank you for your input. I've ordered a kill-a-watt and will update this thread with the load requirements.

Tom
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Very good, we look forward to hearing from you,

T
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If you are going to be dealing with DC loads--You can also get something like one of these DC Amp*Hour/Watt*hour meters for your test bench.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tombronx
    Options

Hello Bill,

Sorry for the late response (and I don't mean to blame it on the Mississippi river).

I am not sure if I still need the DC meter for the webcams .. they are connecting to AC power just fine ...

Anyway, I was able to use the kill-a-watt to get the load requirements ... some of the results (webcam) make sense to me in terms of W = V * A, some others (laptop, phone) don't. The cell phone did not register any kWh after 1 3/4 hours (10% until fully charged), so I just put down an arbitrary number for it ...

One interesting observation is that the webcam caused a spike of 8W in the kill-a-watt when it's first powered on, then stabilized at 3.6W ... i ran the kill-a-watt on the webcam for 11 hours.

From the results, I believe i need to size up the inverter to around 300W ... the TV - the monstrous power hog, is out of the picture until down the road ...

Please let me know what you think.
  • BB.
    Options

The devil is in the details...

Regarding small devices (cell phone charger, etc.)--It simply may be that you are below the k-a-w meter's ability to log accurately (many devices put a floor it to stop "drift" customer calls--i.e., why is my KaW meter registering 0.001 kWH per when nothing is plugged in).

Another issue with many small electronic devices is that they have "poor" power factor...

Basically, we are all used to seeing the equation:
    • Power = Volts * Amps
    And, for steady state DC and simply AC power (electric heaters, filament lamps, etc.)--it is true.

However, for many AC devices, the power supplies do not take nice uniform current in phase with the AC voltage sine wave--Instead, they take little chunks of high current at the peak of the voltage sine wave...

One way to deal with it is to use a fudge factor--Aka the "Power Factor". This number represents the amount of measured current (RMS or root mean square energy content) and say how "efficiently" it is being converted into useful work:
    • Power = Voltage * Amp * Power Factor
    • Power = Voltage * Amp * Cosine of the phase angle between AC sine wave voltage/current
    So, for many small electronics, the PF may be 0.6 or even 0.5 --- Basically:
    • 120 VAC * 0.10 Amps = 12 Watts not correct
    • 120 VAC * 0.10 Amps = 12 VA (volt*amps)
    • 120 VAC * 0.10 Amps * 0.5 PF = 6 Watts
    You need the 12 VA as the part of the load calculations for the inverter. Most inverter Watt ratings = VA ratings.

So, a 300 Watt limit inverter is really a 300 VA limit inverter; at PF=0.5, then that would be a 150 watt load.

And the battery would be supplying energy (power) at the rate of ~150 watts.

So, when sizing your system--A PF of 0.5 (just made up worst case numbers) your 300 VA load will only consume 150 watts from your battery bank...

And, you do need to add other losses... For example, the inverter is probably around 85% efficient:
    • 150 watt AC load * 1/0.85 eff = 176 watt load on the battery bank
    There are lots of losses in a Solar PV system--and one quick rule of thumb, if you have at least 4 hours of sun per day (not winter, no coastal fog), and assume 0.52 end to end efficiency (yes, about 1/2 is lost from solar panel Watt spec. to AC inverter Watt output):
    • 135 Watt panel * 4 hours of sun * 0.52 = 281 Watt*Hours of 120 VAC power available on a good day
    If you are going to have a 24x7 PV system + loads, and it is "unmanned"--there are a lot of details we need to talk about... Like what happens in winter with a stretch of bad weather... You can easily kill your expensive battery bank if you draw it to near zero state of charge.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tombronx
    Options

Thank you for your explanation ... quite a lot of excellent educational information for me.

So, if I have a total of 510VA daily, would this be a correct calculation?

--
    Total VA: 510

Minimum inverter Wattage (VA): 510

Minimum battery (12v) Wattage: 510 x 0.5 (PF) x 1/0.85 = 300 Wh
    => 300Wh/12v = 250 Ah

with 2 days of bad weather: 250 Ah x 3 = 750 Ah

Panel: 240w * 4h * 0.5 = 480 Wh

---
    So, i think one 240W panel would be enough for my daily needs.

In case of a long stretch of bad weather (> 2 days) , I'd not use solar power until i can afford a larger system and bigger battery bank. Really, it is rare to have 3-4 days without sun in this area (90W/35N), even in winter.

Thanks again,
    Tom
  • BB.
    Options
    tombronx wrote: »
    So, if I have a total of 510VA daily, would this be a correct calculation?
    If I understand your calculations--No...

510 VA is a peak usage (this is a rate, like miles per hour, gallons per minute, etc.). So, yes that is part of the inverter sizing (maximum Watts/VA draw of loads).

You also need to take into account for time (hours) of use.

For example, if your average draw is 250 watts for 5 hours a day:
    • 250 watts * 5 hours = 1,250 Watt*Hours per day
    That is your "daily" energy usage (miles driven, gallons pumped).

Total VA: 510
    Minimum inverter Wattage (VA): 510
    Minimum battery (12v) Wattage: 510 x 0.5 (PF) x 1/0.85 = 300 Wh
    => 300Wh/12v = 250 Ah
    with 2 days of bad weather: 250 Ah x 3 = 750 Ah
    Using my make believe number above of 1,250 Watt*Hours per day--Sizing the battery for 2 days of bad weather and 50% maximum depth of discharge:
    • 1,250 Watt*Hours per day * 1/12 volt battery * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 2 days * 1/0.50 discharge = 490 AH battery bank @ 12 volts
    Panel: 240w * 4h * 0.5 = 480 Wh

No, we need the Watt*Hours per day of your loads... Again using my made-up loads:
    • 1,250 WH * 1/0.52 system efficiency * 1/4 hours per day = 601 Watts of solar panels
    In case of a long stretch of bad weather (> 2 days) , I'd not use solar power until i can afford a larger system and bigger battery bank. Really, it is rare to have 3-4 days without sun in this area (90W/35N), even in winter.

A small backup genset + AC battery charger usually is a good thing to have--both for solar backup/emergencies, and portable power.

We need to go through your load numbers again to understand your requirements.

-Bill
  • tombronx
    Options

Sorry for my ignorance ... I still got a lot of reading to do for this project.

At the peak, my total usage is 53 VA. So, (cut and paste from http://www.leonics.com/support/article2_12j/articles2_12j_en.php) “For stand-alone systems, the inverter must be large enough to handle the total amount of Watts you will be using at one time. The inverter size should be 25-30% bigger than total Watts of appliances.”, I'd need an inverter rated at least 70W.

My required Wh/day is 362 Wh, so: 362 Wh * 1/12v * 1/0.85 * 2 * 1/0.50 = 144 Ah battery (12v)

362Wh * 1/0.52 * 1/4hours = 174 W solar panel → I think a 240W panel would be fine.

My total loads are:

laptop (5 hrs): 90 VA, 100Wh
    webcams (2 * 24 hrs): 288 VA, 192Wh
    cell phone (2 hrs): 14.4 VA, 20Wh
    Light (5 hrs): 108 VA, 50Wh

Thanks,
    Tom
  • BB.
    Options
    Sorry for my ignorance ... I still got a lot of reading to do for this project.

Not a problem--we all started knowing nothing ourselves. One step at a time.

Everyone here wants to help--No "just read the FAQ" or "have you tried the search function" answers from us. :-)
    At the peak, my total usage is 53 VA. So, (cut and paste from http://www.leonics.com/support/article2_12j/articles2_12j_en.php) “For stand-alone systems, the inverter must be large enough to handle the total amount of Watts you will be using at one time. The inverter size should be 25-30% bigger than total Watts of appliances.”, I'd need an inverter rated at least 70W.

My required Wh/day is 362 Wh, so: 362 Wh * 1/12v * 1/0.85 * 2 * 1/0.50 = 144 Ah battery (12v)

You got it!
    362Wh * 1/0.52 * 1/4hours = 174 W solar panel → I think a 240W panel would be fine.

Remember, the 4 hours per day is a rough starting point for many folks that live in regions with reasonable amounts of sun--and typically does not include the ~3 months of winter.

In general, you would plan on using about 50-75% of the expected daily power collection... Do not plan on using 100% every day--there is just too much variability in day to day solar availability--plus most people add to their loads (new fun stuff to have at the cabin).

The other thing I like to do is check the solar array by matching the 5-13% rule of thumb for charging current for battery banks... Note that adding lots of AH means that people will need to add more panels. Assuming 0.77 solar panel + charge controller derating/losses:
    • 144 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 136 watts minimum
    • 144 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 271 watts good sized nominal array
    • 144 AH * 14.5 volts charging * 1/0.77 derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 353 watts typical cost effective maximum
    So, the reasonable array size for you (assuming 4 hours of sun per day) would be around 174 to 353 watt solar array.

Note: close in solar is +/- 10-20% -- I am including a bunch of digits so you can confirm my math (Trust But Verify).
    My total loads are:

looks OK... Inverter wise, I would recommend that you choose a TSW (True Sine Wave) Inverter--They are many times more expensive than a MSW (Modified Square Wave) Inverter, but you will probably have less problem with your wall transformers, small power supplies, etc.

All About Inverters
    Choosing an inverter for water pumping

A really neat 12 volt 300 watt TSW inverter is the MorningStar model...

With any inverter, understand that they tend to waste a lot of power when idling--and TSW have higher idle losses than MSW. Try to size the inverters to your loads and turn off the DC when not needed -- Or use the "search mode" feature available on some inverters (typically larger inverters--but the above MorningStar has search mode and remote DC off too--basically they turn on once every second or so looking for >6 watts of AC load-then turn on 100% until the load goes away).

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options

As an example of how much your solar can vary by month, using PV Watts for Memphis TN, 0.52 system derating, and 1 kW of panels (round number):
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Memphis"
    "State:","Tennessee"
    "Lat (deg N):", 35.05
    "Long (deg W):", 89.98
    "Elev (m): ", 87
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 35.1"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 6.9 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 3.93, 62, 4.28
    2, 4.54, 64, 4.42
    3, 5.34, 81, 5.59
    4, 5.78, 81, 5.59
    5, 5.80, 81, 5.59
    6, 6.01, 80, 5.52
    7, 6.10, 83, 5.73
    8, 6.29, 87, 6.00
    9, 5.21, 71, 4.90
    10, 5.53, 81, 5.59
    11, 4.10, 59, 4.07
    12, 3.48, 54, 3.73
    "Year", 5.18, 884, 61.00

So, 3.48 hours of sun minimum for December produces 884 kWH per month or:
    • 54,000 WH / 31 days per month = 1,742 WH per day for December per 1,000 watts of panels
    Or with your "174 watts" of panels:
    • 1,742 WH * 174 watts / 1,000 watts = 303 WH per day December
    So, that is how you can use PV Watts to estimate your available energy.

-Bill
  • tombronx
    Options

Great information. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options
    My total loads are:

Would it be possible to run some of those off 12V directly and not have the losses of an inverter? Just a thought to consider. (like the webcams on 24/7)
  • BB.
    Options

I am always hesitant to recommend running for 12 VDC directly from a solar RE system...

Many of those devices are "optimized" to run from a car system--Which is around 13.8-14.2 with the engine running, or possibly down to 12.5 volts or so.

A solar RE system operating normally can range from below 11.5 volts to to upwards of 15-16 VDC (charging/equalizing).

If this is "critical equipment"--the owner needs to understand the limits of their 12 VDC equipment. A 11-16 volt range is actually quite wide and can damage some equipment.

That is one reason I like to recommend a good quality AC inverter instead--the ~15% because of the inverter can be addressed by a little more solar panel + battery storage.

-Bill
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

I understand your reasoning Bill. I just thought for such a small loads it could be a possibility.
  • BB.
    Options

Certainly possible--More research is needed on the OP's part. Things that can be done--either a manual or automatic load disconnect when battery voltage is out of range--such as (some controllers have a high limit on the LVD too).

-Bill