Enphase with 2 panels per inverter

gtxkid
gtxkid Solar Expert Posts: 34 ✭✭
Has anyone done it.
Put two panels per inverter.
As long as you stay with the recommended input speck why not.
m190's show
Maximum input DC voltage 54V
Max. input current 10Amps

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Enphase with 2 panels per inverter

If you stay within the specifications of the converter (i.e., 2x110 watt panels instead of 1x220 watt with same Vmp/Imp/etc.)--Yes they should work fine.

HOWEVER:
    1. I believe that they are UL/NRTL Listed only when using solar panels from their approved vendor list (I am not sure). You may have push back from your local authority/utility/rebating agency.
    2. More mounting costs... You have to have 2x the hardware to mount and ground 2x the panels.
    3. Electrical connections... Depending on the Vmp/Imp of the panels, you may have to connect them in parallel--You would need make/buy "Y" cables for connecting. More costs.
    4. In general, a single 220 watt panel costs less than 2x110 watt panels.
    What is the answer? Appears 2 panels per inverter many not be the best idea unless you have extenuating circumstances.

-Bill "devil is the details" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gtxkid

I have extra panel and 3 extra inverters i have not installed yet.
    Also have the rack built for the extra panels
    See photo
    I have unirac and hardware i am installing today.
  • gtxkid

I mounted up six panels today
    Will wait for awhile till i can install the correct terminals.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

why do you care if it stays within spec, just try it ;)
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

There is a guy that hacked some old low voltage panels and got them working with an Enphase.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-power/316-my-diy-pv-set-up.html

If the voltage from the PV is within the MPPT range of the inverter,
    it should work. I would not use high-powered panels, that would
    run the Enphase at max output whenever it was sunny.
    (Like two 200w panels). It might shorten the life of the inverter..

If one was using low powered panels, I think the Enphase might need
    a minimum level of wattage before it can start up. 20-30w???
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Don't expect Enphase to honour their warranty if the units are powered by "not on the list" panels.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Don't expect Enphase to honour their warranty if the units are powered by "not on the list" panels.

Yeah, they might want you to trouble shoot it for 10 hours..
    http://www.solartown.com/blog/2011/03/enphase-microinverter-warranty-claim-causes-heartburn/

After the above was posted, someone must have called the boss..
    Because it became a non-problem shortly thereafter.

http://www.solartown.com/blog/2011/04/enphase-steps-up-to-the-plate-on-warranty-claim/\

Anyways, I looked at the 'limited Warranty" pdf and I think they have covered themselfs pretty well.
    Anytime I see "acts of God" in a warranty, I worry that could be a pretty big loophole.. :p

Enphase will not be responsible for, any defect in or
    damage to any Enphase Micro-Inverter: (1) that has been misused, neglected, tampered with,
    altered, or otherwise damaged, either internally or externally; (2) that has been improperly
    installed, operated, handled or used, including use under conditions for which the product was
    not designed, use in an unsuitable environment, or use in a manner contrary to the Enphase User
    Manual or applicable laws or regulations; (3) that has been subjected to fire, water, generalized
    corrosion, biological infestations, acts of God, or input voltage that creates operating conditions
    beyond the maximum or minimum limits listed in the Enphase Micro-Inverter specifications,
    including high input voltage from generators or lightning strikes; (4) that has been subjected to
    incidental or consequential damage caused by defects of other components of the solar system;
    or (5) if the original identification markings (including trademark or serial number) of such
    Micro-Inverter have been defaced, altered, or removed. The Limited Warranty does not extend
    beyond the original cost of the Enphase Micro-Inverter.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XRinger wrote: »

Enphase will not be responsible for, any defect in or
    damage to any Enphase Micro-Inverter: (1) that has been misused, neglected, tampered with,
    altered, or otherwise damaged, either internally or externally; (2) that has been improperly
    installed, operated, handled or used, including use under conditions for which the product was
    not designed, use in an unsuitable environment, or use in a manner contrary to the Enphase User
    Manual or applicable laws or regulations; (3) that has been subjected to fire, water, generalized
    corrosion, biological infestations, acts of God, or input voltage that creates operating conditions
    beyond the maximum or minimum limits listed in the Enphase Micro-Inverter specifications,
    including high input voltage from generators or lightning strikes; (4) that has been subjected to
    incidental or consequential damage caused by defects of other components of the solar system;
    or (5) if the original identification markings (including trademark or serial number) of such
    Micro-Inverter have been defaced, altered, or removed. The Limited Warranty does not extend
    beyond the original cost of the Enphase Micro-Inverter.

That's how they get a 15 year warranty.

It was outside and corroded. (got wet) (got hot)....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,