Hot panel question

Options
Frxddy
Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
Just picking brains....anyone got some to pick? I'm new to solar electric but now that prices are close to reasonable I am gaining knowledge. I'm about to "buy in".

From what I have read the panels make less electricity as their temperature goes up. If that is the case, why are panels in arrays placed cheek to cheek? Might it pay to give thought to spacing the panels a few inches from each other? Or, does that create a host of problems like the spaces make perfect spots for birds to nest.

While I'm picking brains.... if anyone would like to describe their dream system, I'm all ears. I'm probably going to end up with a fixed roof top array, but I'm handy with a welder and have space. I should have no shadows, but at this point I'm in love with the Enphase micro inverter. I can be swayed. :)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hot panel question

A few inches between panels won't make any noticeable difference in their temperature. It's mostly generated internally by being bombarded with sunlight. Unfortunately they're made of glass, which is a poor conductor of heat. Keeping them up off the roof is more important than keeping them from touching on sides. Surface area, you see.

As for the ideal system ...
    Well you need to pony up some specs as to what you're trying to do. How are the incentives where you are? Worthwhile for installing 2 kW or 20 kW ? I'm sure the "grid tie guys" here can help you out either way. :D
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hot panel question

My dream would be pay no electric bill. We average 650 KWH per month. I work at home hence the higher than most people usage. The only incentives are $2,000 from the state and I've heard 30% from the Feds. The power company will not buy extra, but they will trade 100% even. Any extra power that I push to the grid is mine to use within 12 months. Each month they look back 12 months. If there is any extra from that 12th month you lose it. While it is possible to lose electricity, you'd have to be pretty dumb to allow it to happen. I look at it this way: The power company is my batteries, but they only hold power for 12 months. And, of course, if the power goes down, I have no power. That is a rare event.

My zip code is 04474.