What to do with broken modules?

Options
heynow999
heynow999 Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
I have a customer who had a groundmount system with 48 x 230 modules on it. It was half completed when it blew over in a windstorm. Luckily he was insured. If we sell him a new system he wants us to dispose of the broken modules. The glass is broken on every one. Some have holes in them. The glass broke mostly because the frame twisted on most of them, but they still look fairly straight, as if they didn't warp too much.

Any ideas what to do with them. Can they be recycled? Do the cells have any value?

Thanks

Comments

• jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: What to do with broken modules?

The aluminum framing is recyclable, the glass and plastic pretty much isn't.

The cells do have a value, but you have to ask yourself if you're willing to take the time to disassemble every panel and extract the cells. Also keep in mind that technically the insurance company owns the broken panels, so make sure that you have the legal right to sell them (probably not an issue if you ask nicely and conclusively show that these are damaged goods).

The best thing to do is probably to sell them on ebay as exactly what they are: chipped/broken solar panels, useful for hobbyists and people who are willing to try fixing any broken connections, replacing damaged cells, re-sealing them, and using them in cheap off-grid installations. Emphasize that these are NOT code compliant and under no circumstances should they be connected to the grid.

If you can stick a meter on each module and confirm that you can still get a decent voltage and current out of them, that will probably raise the price that you can expect. Heck, I might buy a couple to play with at that point.

Kudos for trying to keep them out of the landfill.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Years ago, I saw one place that charged around $1 per watt to recycle panels as a pilot project.

Otherwise, separate the metal from the rest and take the aluminum and copper to a recycle and the rest to the dump (as far as I know).

There are companies listed in google for panel recycling... Don't know if they are real or not.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options

I bet the module manufacturer will know what to do with them... If you have 20 of them to get rid of, contact them and they should have plenty of suggestions on what to do. Most of the companies out there have certified recycling programs for broken panels.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

landfill ... even the effort to get the rails off is more that the scrap metal value and its not an easy task. The cost to ship anywhere the busted panels is a total waste of resources
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

why did they blow over to begin with? I'm hopefully gonna install my own system soon and would rather not learn that lesson via the school or hard knocks!
  • heynow999
    heynow999 Solar Expert Posts: 80 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why did they blow over to begin with? I'm hopefully gonna install my own system soon and would rather not learn that lesson via the school or hard knocks!

The homeowner was building the groundmount himself, of his own design. He does have experiance in PV so he knew what he was doing but he just didn't get the job completed fast enough. He didn't add some final cross bracing. I don't know the full story, but he was building it in his spare time. I guess he should have completely finished the mount before he mounted the modules. There were some deadlines for projects in January so he might have been trying to finish it, not sure though.

I will try some local manufacturers.
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    Options

Advertise them on Craigs List.

Someone will be willing to buy them in hopes of being able to repair/rebuilt some of them.
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Options

My neighbor has one that has had broken glass for 3 years and still works.
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Options

Some or most of them will work for a while but moisture will get in and corrode the connecting wires between the cells. I helped a friend check out a lot of damaged panels about 10 years ago and most put out at least half of their rated current. We sealed the cracks in the glass with a spray sealant, he made an array of with them and they lasted a few years but they all eventually stopped working due to corroded connections.