Battery cell replacement

Ralph Day
Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all
Has anyone had to replace cells in large Surrette batteries? I have 2 positive post cells to replace defective ones under warranty. There is no gripping edges or anything to work with. To remove the old cells is probably not a problem (if they break) but putting in the new ones is giving me fits.

There's room to fit a strong strap under the terminal post of the new ones, but not sure about lifting the 100 lbs by it. Maybe passing a strap under the cell and lifting by that would work, but what about getting the old cells out?

8v cs plate batteries. 4 x 2volt cells.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ralph

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Battery cell replacement

I am not 100% sure but I don't think there are two parallel cell. Each cell has two terminal to the same polarity plates to decrease the current load on one terminal.

You can cut along the edge of the red outer case and try to pry it off. The cells are in white case.
  • Ralph Day

Thanks RC
    I've had the red case tops off in order to check the voltage of the individual cells a month ago. There's indeed, 2 terminals (i guess plate terminals) for the neg and pos positions. The pos has a 1/2 x 2 inch bar joining them, and then the terminal lug 3/8 x 3 x 4 inches with the holes for bolting through.

I think I might be able to fish a string then strap around the in-situ cells for their lifting instead of stressing the positive terminal. My fear would be a catastrophic failure ending up with acid all over and just lead hanging from my chain hoist. Putting in the new ones is going to be easy compared to pulling out the old ones. Straps can be easily put around the new ones.

As long as I remember to line up the strap position with the void area on the bottom of the red case. The red cases look corrugated, probably for air movement/cooling, the actual cells are flush towers.

Ralph

Maybe some pictures to illustrate...
  • Ralph Day

Swap out complete. No problems encountered. Forgot to take the camera downstairs, so no pictures. Sorry.

I did hoist out the defective cells by the positive bus bar, but lowered the new cells in like a coffin into the ground, then pulled the straps out from around. The heaviest lifting was putting the 4 cell units back in the box (front off, slid in but HEAVY).

Ralph