Solar Panels and Snow

kadesmith
kadesmith Registered Users Posts: 9
Our local high school just got a grant to put solar panels on the roof of the new school. We get a significant amount of snow that typically lasts from late November to Mid-March (typically there is atleast 1 foot).

What I'm curious about is whether solar panels will work when they are burried under this much snow?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Panels and Snow

the simple answer is no they won't work with 1ft of snow on top of them.

to make them work one must keep them high enough off of the ground or other surface they are mounted over so that the snow will not build up at the base of the pvs. this won't happen, or it won't happen very well, if the pvs aren't angled steeper as the steeper angle allows snow and ice to slide off easier. if this is all done you have a better chance of sunlight reaching the pvs' dark surface causing it to heat a bit leading to snow and ice melt quicker than many other surfaces. even the act of electric generation could cause a small amount of heat. mind you there are times this doesn't work or work fast enough and one must push the excess snow off of the pvs.

now this thread is strikingly familiar to others, but i addressed the question as being different enough to allow the thread to stand. it was a simple yes/no answer and a brief explanation of what happens with pvs with snow. as to how to remove that snow is another thread so do not pursue that here. go to that thread to go along those lines.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=4403
  • kadesmith
    kadesmith Registered Users Posts: 9

OK so here is a question that is going to show you that I'm REALLY a newbie to this and I used the search function before asking, but what does PVS stand for? I mean it's obvious to me that it has something to do with the panels that actually collect the solar energy, but I just can't come up with something very logical for the acronym. Panel Voltage Sector was about the best I could do.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I am guessing Photo Voltaic System (aka sun battery doohickey).

SBD--Acronyms and arcane names sound so high tech. ;)

Anyone want to guess what NEWS (as in newspaper) is an acronym for?

-Bill

PS: Oops, almost correct (see below). :roll:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

pv = photovoltaic. i made it plural. i sometimes confuse people because i don't capitalize and it may have made more sense to you if you saw it as PVs.;)
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

New England Weather Service?

Never Eat Wheat (Shredded)?

North Estonia Wombat Society?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Well--blow me down... What I always knew turned out I did not know at all... :blush:

I had been told (where?) that NEWS was From North East West South as in information from everywhere...

Turns out that is not true (as I was going to post the "answer" with a link)... Best I can come up with is:
    late 14c., plural of new (n.) "new thing," from new (adj.), q.v.; after Fr. nouvelles, used in Bible translations to render M.L. nova (neut. pl.) "news," lit. "new things." Sometimes still regarded as plural, 17c.-19c. Meaning "tidings" is early 15c. The News in the Virginia city Newport News is said to derive from the name of one of its founders, William Newce.
    Trust but Verify strikes again.:roll::blush:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    SBD--Acronyms and arcane names sound so high tech. ;)

Not
    Even
    Worth
    Seeing

Lately anyways....:p
  • niel

i know you guys can't hold back at poking fun, but let's not give a member a complex because they asked a question.