Wind-Powered Car Actually Moves Faster Than Wind Speed

2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Wind-Powered Car Actually Moves Faster Than Wind Speed

Then in still air and with a push--the vehicle should also continue to move forward too? The trust of the propeller is greater than the retarding force of the wheels?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • victor
    victor Registered Users Posts: 13
    BB. wrote: »
    Then in still air and with a push--the vehicle should also continue to move forward too? The trust of the propeller is greater than the retarding force of the wheels?
    You mean without true wind? No, of course it won't work. You need a velocity difference (airspeed < ground speed) to create the force difference (thrust > retarding force).

Here again with emphasis:
    victor wrote: »
    In the reference frame of the vehicle, it works like a gear box: A small input force (braking) coming in at high speed (ground speed) is transformed into a larger output force (propeller thrust) going out at a lower speed (air speed)
  • BB.

But Power = Force * Velocity...

So, in a steady state system and ignoring drag (aerodynamic and from bearings, etc.) we know that Power from retarding wheels must equal forward energy provided by the propeller.
    • Force * Vground = Force * Vair
    Since the Vground is "high speed" and the Vair is "low speed" then the forces cannot be equal?

Basically the energy from the retarding force must be higher than the energy generated by the turning blades--So we have an unbalanced system where we are loosing energy.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • victor
    So, in a steady state system and ignoring drag (aerodynamic and from bearings, etc.) we know that Power from retarding wheels must equal forward energy provided by the propeller.
    In the vehicle's frame of reference the propeller is not providing energy, it is using energy from the wheels to generate a forward force.
    • Force * Vground = Force * Vair
    Since the Vground is "high speed" and the Vair is "low speed" then the forces cannot be equal?
    Without losses, the thrust must be greater than wheel braking. With losses, it depends on the total efficiency of the whole thing (including propeller efficiency):

F_air * V_air = total_efficiency * F_ground * V_ground

For the required total_efficiency check out equation 7 from this:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/propulsion/28167d1231128492-ddwfttw-directly-downwind-faster-than-wind-ddw2.pdf
    Basically the energy from the retarding force must be higher than the energy generated by the turning blades
    In the reference frame of the vehicle:
    - The power input from the wheels is greater than the power output at the propeller
    - The force at the prop is greater than the retarding force at the wheels
    So we have an unbalanced system where we are loosing energy.
    The true wind is loosing energy, and we are accelerating because the forces are not balanced (until drag equals net thurst)
  • BB.
    victor wrote: »

I don't believe the derivations of equation 6/7 are correct... Just a simple boundary test shows meaningless results.

V-W is the "apparent" air speed of the air propeller. With V = W (i.e., boat/vehicle is moving exactly the speed of the wind), the system develops infinite force:
    • V/(V-W)
    Because the apparent speed is in the denominator) (well technically, division by zero is undefined, but as we approach zero relative speed, we approach infinite forward thrust... Then, as the vehicle slows just below wind speed, we are approaching infinite retarding force because of the sign change).

I believe the error in equation (2)--The author talks about the efficiency of a propeller and use it as an equation to generate thrust.

And the problem is that is not the efficiency of a turbine/propeller, that is the formula for extracting energy from a moving object (or air or water)... Basically, Formula (2) states that if you use a mechanical device to extract the energy from the flow--The difference in the flow rate is how much energy you extracted from it...

So, if I have something moving at 10 mph, take some energy out, and it is now moving at 5 mph--then I have extracted 50% of the energy. [actually, I made a mistake here--V^2 is the energy in motion, 1/2 speed reduction would be 3/4's of the energy removed from the system]

If I have something moving at 10mph, extract some energy, and now it moves at 0mph, then I have extracted 100% of the energy.

For example, send at lot of water from a dam down a pen-stock into a turbine that takes the F*MassFlow of the water, spin it into the turbine runner, and dump the water with only a small velocity left into the river at the base of the dam, I have extracted 90% of the available energy--And this has nothing to do with the efficiency of the turbine--If the turbine is also 90% efficient, then I have turned the falling water into 0.9*0.9=0.81 or 81% useful energy...

Vastly different than how they are trying to use the math in the assumptions above.
    In the reference frame of the vehicle:
    - The power input from the wheels is greater than the power output at the propeller
    - The force at the prop is greater than the retarding force at the wheels
    I agree with the first statement--in reality, they would probably be lucky to get 30-50% energy transfer from the wheels to the propeller (as thrust).

Looking at force in a steady state condition the two have to balance (even giving them the "zero drag" assumption).

Force by itself does not equate into energy usage. One must take velocity into account too... 10 lbs of force at zero miles per hour is ZERO ENERGY. 10 lbs of force at 100 MPH is a lot more zero energy.
    The true wind is loosing energy, and we are accelerating because the forces are not balanced (until drag equals net thrust)
    There is nothing in the equations that account for the change in mass flow of the wind... There is a mass flow of energy through the propeller, but that is relative wind and energy transfer does not appear to be taken into account.

For example, if the entire forward motive force of vehicle is provided by air propeller and the entire energy to drive the propeller comes from the wheels.

And there is a non-zero energy transfer loss between the energy into the wheels and through the propeller--then we have the classic thermodynamic statement is the best you can do is break even. And, you can never break even.

The only way I can understand the vehicle going downwind faster than the wind in a steady state is through wind speed distribution... Wind speed is slower near the ground to goes up the farther away from the ground you get...

If the velocity is measured at driver level, the wind speed would be much higher 30+ feet higher in the air... So at this point the propeller becomes "flat disc" and is dragging the car along at a higher rate of speed than the "surface wind"--or possibly the propeller is being driven by the wind and helping to turn the wheels forward...

According to the rules, the wind speed is supposed to be measured at hub height--so that should not introduce a huge error...

-Bill :confused:
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

The size of the propeller is rather great compared to the size of the car - especially the profile of the car.
  • victor
    With V = W (i.e., boat/vehicle is moving exactly the speed of the wind), the system develops infinite force:
    No, because the propeller efficiency(as used here) tends toward zero at this point, so the thrust force is still a finite number. It is called "static thrust". The propeller efficiency is not a constant, but depends on the situation.
    Then, as the vehicle slows just below wind speed, we are approaching infinite retarding force because of the sign change).
    No, because the propeller efficiency(as used here) becomes negative, if the propeller is working in reversed flow. The thrust force is still a positive finite number. You explain yourself why this limiting case(airspeed = 0) is difficult to handle with energy formulas:
    Force by itself does not equate into energy usage. One must take velocity into account too... 10 lbs of force at zero miles per hour is ZERO ENERGY. 10 lbs of force at 100 MPH is a lot more zero energy.
    I believe the error in equation (2)--The author talks about the efficiency of a propeller and use it as an equation to generate thrust.
    It is the usual definition of propeller efficiency. And efficient propellers achieve 90% here, but not at static condition (airspeed = 0). When dealing with airplane propellers you are usually not mainly interested in the static condition or reverse flow. And here you also don't need this cases to show that steady state above wind-speed is possible.
    And the problem is that is not the efficiency of a turbine/propeller,
    Turbines and propellers serve different purposes, and so the common definitions of "efficiency" for them are different. But it doesn't matter how you call that term. Fact is: you can design a propeller that will achieve:
    thrust_force * free_stream_airspeed / prop_shaft_power = 0.9
    Basically, Formula (2) states that if you use a mechanical device to extract the energy from the flow--
    Again: the propeller is not extracting the energy from the flow. It is delivering energy to the flow (in the propellers ref. frame). Above wind-speed it accelerates the apparent headwind, thus slows down the true tailwind.
    I agree with the first statement--in reality, they would probably be lucky to get 30-50% energy transfer from the wheels to the propeller (as thrust).
    As I said: At design airspeed & RPM such propellers achieve 80-90% efficiency. Combine it with 80-90% transmission efficiency (wheel -> shaft) and you have 64%-80% total efficiency. That allows you to achieve 2-3 times wind speed if you account for drag.
    There is nothing in the equations that account for the change in mass flow of the wind...
    In simplified terms: The thrust force of the propeller is the negative change of airs momentum per time.
    For example, if the entire forward motive force of vehicle is provided by air propeller and the entire energy to drive the propeller comes from the wheels.
    The forward thrust is not just a result of the propeller rotation. The true tailwind also contributes here, by reducing the apparent headwind, and thus allowing the propeller to produce more thrust. Without the true tailwind the propeller would never develop more thrust, than the wheels need to brake in order to turn the propeller.
    According to the rules, the wind speed is supposed to be measured at hub height--so that should not introduce a huge error...
    You could even measure it well above hub-height, they would still be faster. Here is an early prototype. Note the streamer above the propeller:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuAqq8FINw#t=2m30s
  • victor

You will find a lot of discussions on this. And some people made explanatory animations with simple mechanical analogies:

dwfttwstick200x250.gif

dwfttwwheel09dashedleve.gif

These are funny too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7vcQcIaWSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-trDF8Yldc
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    boB wrote: »
    That's called Tacking, when done in a sailboat. And as I understand it, it is at an angle and against the wind.... back and forth, sideways, Understood using vectors and trigonometry.
    Tacking is done to go in the opposite direction from the wind, another thing that seems counterintuitive on the face of it. You can't, of course, go in exactly the opposite direction, but you can go less than 90 degrees from directly upwind, and by switching back and forth between port and starboard tacks you can get directly upwind from where you were.
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

The same dream, different design.

http://www.popsci.com/archive-viewer?id=GgEAAAAAMBAJ&pg=102&query=wind-powered+car
  • victor
    DavidOH wrote: »

That's a nice compact design, but it won't go directly downwind faster than wind or directly upwind (on wind alone). Similar one but too big for roads achieved 126mph in 2009:

greenbird-land-craft1.jpg
  • victor
    ggunn wrote: »
    Tacking is done to go in the opposite direction from the wind, another thing that seems counterintuitive on the face of it.
    Tacking is done in both directions. Tacking downwind is even more counterintuitive than upwind, if you outrun the airmass (achieve a downwind-velocity-made-good greater than true windspeed):

downwindvectorsen3.png

Here analogously the vectors at the propeller blade airfoil of the DDWFTTW vehicle at 1.5 directly downwind:

propellervectors.png

The transition from tacking downwind to the propeller is shown here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGRFb8yNtBo
    ggunn wrote: »
    You can't, of course, go in exactly the opposite direction

With a conventional sail craft, no. With rotating airfoils you can do both:
    - directly upwind
    - directly downwind faster than wind
  • victor
    I still don't see how it was done... Otherwise, they should be able to go dead upwind too (same vectors).
    They can. The vectors are not exactly the same but similar. Going dead upwind has been done many times:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQu4hUKnoVE&feature=player_detailpage#t=130s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-aX6z_qlBg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKqC5JsurOk
    But the BlackBird might be soon the first one to go directy upwind faster than true wind.
    When I followed the links, I saw mostly sail boats (yes, they can get within 30 degrees of up wind and can go faster than the wind--again when the wind is coming from the side, not front or back.
    As I already said: The propeller blades are also moving at an angle to the true wind, even when the vehicle moves parallel to the true wind. See vector diagram above.
  • BB.

Certainly, I would agree that moving upwind with a propeller and a gear box is possible at slow ground speeds (as the youtube video).

And, I would guess that the limitations of pure upwind speed just depends on the efficiency of the mechanicals and the drag of the vehicle. Low drag and high efficiency would, it would seem, would not limit forward direct upwind speed to some "magic number" like a limit of wind speed as forward velocity.

Still trying to understand going downwind faster than the wind (direct tailwind).

Not sure how that differs from just pushing the car and getting relative wind from the initial shove in dead air...

But like a say, I do not claim that I understand it all either.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

this is all well and good, but i don't foresee them putting sails on cars to do this or even close. the application is too impractical to employ for cars on a street as there'd be nothing to the car and the sail would take up more vertical and horizontal room than can be legally utilized. this leaves it as an unrealistic approach to powering today's cars and is therefore a moot point even if it works so i'm curious as to what the relevant point is to this thread?
  • ThinAirDesigns
    ThinAirDesigns Registered Users Posts: 6
    niel wrote: »
    ... this leaves it as an unrealistic approach to powering today's cars and is therefore a moot point even if it works so i'm curious as to what the relevant point is to this thread?

neil -- I can't comment on the point of the thread as I just arrived, but I can assure you (as the co-designer/builder of the device linked to in the OP) that our point had nothing whatsoever to do with any practical application at all. We didn't build the vehicle because we believed any more would ever be built and used.

In short, it was built to prove a point (and educate hopefully) -- the point being that something many consider impossible borders on trivial to accomplish. It's a mere engineering exercise and nothing more.

JB
  • ThinAirDesigns
    Certainly, I would agree that moving upwind with a propeller and a gear box is possible at slow ground speeds (as the youtube video).

Yes.
    And, I would guess that the limitations of pure upwind speed just depends on the efficiency of the mechanicals and the drag of the vehicle.

Yes.
    Still trying to understand going downwind faster than the wind (direct tailwind).

Not sure how that differs from just pushing the car and getting relative wind from the initial shove in dead air...

In the case you describe above, there is no relative motion between the air and the ground ('true' wind). Since it is a 'true' wind powered device, if there is none, it rolls to a stop.

Remember, the Blackbird *isn't* powered by the relative velocity of the air vs the device itself ('relative' wind), but rather from velocity of the air relative to the ground ('true' wind). On a still air day, no matter how fast you push the device, you still are dealing with air that is not moving relative to the ground and thus you have no power source.

JB
  • ThinAirDesigns

BB, for those who understand the above equation it is often only a few very easy steps to understanding how the Blackbird works.

Since the Blackbird is traveling directly downwind, it travels across the ground with greater velocity than it travels through the air. Imagine if the device is traveling DDW at 20mph in a 10mph wind (2x windspeed). In such a steady state situation it's easy to see by plugging in the numbers into that equation that we are able to harvest exactly twice as much power from the wheels as we need to propel the vehicle via the propeller. Now that assumes a 100% transfer of power -- something that obviously isn't the case, but if at 100% efficiency, one is generating more power at the wheels than is needed at the propeller then it's only a matter of engineering the losses low enough so as to use no more than that extra that is shown as available.

Plugging the numbers into the above equation also makes it easy to see the difference between operating downwind and pushing the vehicle forwards when there is no wind (as you have mentioned several times). In that scenario, the numbers will show that the amount of power available at the wheels is identical to the power needed at the prop (no matter how fast you push). Of course with matching in and out power, there is nothing for losses and thus the vehicle slows.

Hope that helps.
    JB
  • victor

And, I would guess that the limitations of pure upwind speed just depends on the efficiency of the mechanicals and the drag of the vehicle. Low drag and high efficiency would, it would seem, would not limit forward direct upwind speed to some "magic number" like a limit of wind speed as forward velocity.
    Correct, and the same applies to the downwind direction. The maximum velocity in both directions is just a question of efficiency. See this paper

For upwind (negative velocity):
    max_velocity / windspeed = 1 / ((1 - total_efficiency) - 1)

For downwind (positive velocity)
    max_velocity / windspeed = 1 / (1 - total_efficiency)

Same as going upwind, you just swap the roles of ground and air. This shows the symetry in terms of a simple lever:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za_rPKSwiyc
    This shows both directions for the rotor carts in a schematic way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJOVHHf6mQ

It differs by the velocity difference between ground and air. In the frame of the cart you have:

F_air * V_air = total_efficiency * F_ground * V_ground

If V_air = V_ground (no true wind) then you can never achieve F_air > F_ground to accelerate. But with a true tailwind you have V_air < V_ground, so you can generate a propeller thrust greater than wheel drag.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Certain sail boats,, and certainly ice boats will sail a lot faster than the wind!

Tony
  • ThinAirDesigns
    icarus wrote: »
    Certain sail boats,, and certainly ice boats will sail a lot faster than the wind!

Tony

That is correct, however none of those can travel directly upwind at any speed, and none of them can travel directly downwind as fast as the wind, let alone faster. The point of the vehicle in question is to demonstrate that those limitations are based solely on the design limitations of those craft and not some law of physics.

JB
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Just. Sayin,,, as they say!

T