Where do I start?

Crystal
Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
We finally have all the components, wires, breakers, etc. we need to hookup our off-grid solar system.

Now where do we start...I suppose we should have an idea where every component is mounting onto the inside wall. If anyone has any links to pictures of their system that would be helpful.

The following is a list of the components:
2- 210 watt panels (already mounted outside)
charge control
4- T105 batteries
inverter
battery charger
AC generator
Square D 6 breaker load center w/
2- 20 amp breaker
1- 40 amp breaker
1- 20 amp inline breaker
grounding bar kit
1 buss bar

After we know where the components are being mounted what do we need to wire first?
I suppose we should wire the components before we mount anything onto the wall?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Where do I start?

1st thing i'd do is get the battery charger and give your batteries a fresh charge so that you can continue to lay out your system on paper and begin to mount and wire things together.
  • Crystal

The batteries have been charged.
    I drew up a diagram a while ago and it was ok'd by NAWS.

Now, do I start by bringing in the cable run from the panels to the inside and connect to the charge control? Or do I start at the breaker box and wire all the components from there?

Thanks again!
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭

Not completely sure what all you're asking, but it sounds like you just want the order of installation? In that case I think you have some degree of options, just don't actually connect any of the power sources until you have the breakers/fuses/ disconnects all in place and wired up. The batteries should have any series/parallel connections made, but don't connect to the inverter or charge controller without having all the breakers installed and turned "off". Same with the PV's. You can route all your wires, just make the final connections to the batteries and the PV last.

Am I missing something more?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

as hillbilly said you do have some options there as it all needs to be in place and wired before it is operational. it becomes a thing of what may be easier or maybe a case of no access unless wires are placed first or something else similar. if power is live on said wires then you need to disable any power while working on any part of your system until it is all connected and rechecked with fuses or breakers in place before any power is then turned on. always be doubly sure of anything dc for proper polarity as often things will go fpppt.
  • Crystal

Your information helps. I'm sure there will be questions in the future as far as installation goes.
    I will start with the breaker box at this point and then wire the batteries parallel together but not hook into the inverter or charge control.

As far as the grounding rod goes...what needs to be grounded? I suppose the generator will need to be grounded...can it be on the same ground as the other components?

We have a 5/8'' ground rod how deep does it need to be pounded into the ground? Can everything be grounded on this rod?

Thank You!