Morning star live data view

andy300z
andy300z Solar Expert Posts: 39
Hello,
I finaly hooked up my ethernet on my tristar MPPt 60 and i am looking at my array voltage which show 63v @ 0.1amp.
The problem i am having is that i have (3 )80 watt panel and its hooked up in series which the voltage increases and the amp stays the same . Each panels puts out at least 5amps when measured (short circuit)

I should be getting at least 4 amps with bright sun on the array current.
Does this sound right ?

Thanks

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Morning star live data view

Whats your load?

From your description it sounds as if you don't have a load on the charger as 60 volts is the open circuit voltage of 3 panels in series
  • andy300z

All i have is the charge controller and (2) 12v batteries. I am just keeping the
    batteries charge. " No Load"
    Do i need a load on the batteries to see the right current( amp) display on the array data?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

If the batteries are fully charged, the controller will just trickle charge them.

You need to place a large load on the bank and/or discharge the batteries below 80% state of charge for the controller to operate in MPPT mode and get maximum available current output.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • andy300z

I am confused so you are telling me that to get the current on the array to display
    properly i need to have a load on the batteries.
    I was under the impression the array volts & amps should display its actual readings due to the power the panels are generating. Then the controller breaks it down to charge the batteries accordingly.
    My concern is that my panels i bought are not producing the amps as advertise and that concerning to me. Thanks.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    andy300z wrote: »
    I am confused so you are telling me that to get the current on the array to display
    properly i need to have a load on the batteries.
    I was under the impression the array volts & amps should display its actual readings due to the power the panels are generating. Then the controller breaks it down to charge the batteries accordingly.
    My concern is that my panels i bought are not producing the amps as advertise and that concerning to me. Thanks.

If no current is being used, then there is no current to be measured.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

It is kind of like measuring the power output of your car engine... Right now you are idling along in first gear and using very little power to measure.

Put a trailer on the car and head up into the hills--much more power used.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • andy300z

Thanks Guys !!! So now i can start shopping for my inverter.