xantrax inverter

Anyone know anything about an RS xantrax 3000 inverter I found one used, it is 12 volts to 110......he's asking 495.00 for it, is this a good price providing it works..............thanks for any input

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: xantrax inverter

Believe that is pre-DR series model and is modified sinewave.

12vdc and 3000 watts is bad to start with.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

for that much money one could buy a sine wave inverter of a bit lesser power brand new.
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    Believe that is pre-DR series model and is modified sinewave.

12vdc and 3000 watts is bad to start with.

I'll second that thought. 3000watts/ 12V=250amps! Shooting to keep the max amps down to more like 50-100 or so would be best.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Take a look at the Samlex line of pure sine inverters: http://www.solar-electric.com/sasiwain1.html

A 1500 Watt 12 Volt unit (the most you'd want in 12V) is $518 brand new.
    There are no battery chargers in these and they aren't recommended for motors (low surge ratings).
    So it comes down to your application.

Another choice would be from the Exeltech line: http://www.solar-electric.com/exsiwain.html

More expensive, but better suited for AC motor applications.

A Xantrex Prosine 1kW is about $1,000. It's always good to know what you can get for the money new before you buy used. In anything.

BTW, several years ago I paid $495 (CDN) for a brand new Xantrex X-Power MSW 3 kW inverter. Prices have come down, and quality (specifications) have gone up. Used solar equipment has taken a serious beating on price. Look at the cost per Watt of panels, for instance.
  • MisterB
    MisterB Solar Expert Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Take a look at the Samlex line of pure sine inverters: http://www.solar-electric.com/sasiwain1.html

A 1500 Watt 12 Volt unit (the most you'd want in 12V) is $518 brand new.
    There are no battery chargers in these and they aren't recommended for motors (low surge ratings).
    So it comes down to your application.

Another choice would be from the Exeltech line: http://www.solar-electric.com/exsiwain.html

More expensive, but better suited for AC motor applications.

A Xantrex Prosine 1kW is about $1,000. It's always good to know what you can get for the money new before you buy used. In anything.

I use a Samlex 12v 600 watt pure sine wave inverter for electronics and small appliances. It actually has a pretty good surge with a 4' 6 awg cable run on the DC side. I have a Stattpower 12v 1750 watt modified sine wave inverter for my shop which has all kinds of motors and grinders and power tools. I am using 00 awg cables that have about a 3 foot run--a little more on the + side due to a 200 amp fuse--for this inverter. The only tools that have been problematic due to surges have been circular saws. I finally found one that doesn't cause over current shut offs and this is the only time I have had to really look for a tool that works with this inverter. I had a 600 watt Prosine pure sine inverter for a while but the fan turned on at the slightest load and it had a fairly high no load draw. The Samlex inverter is smaller, it doesn't turn on the fan until there is a load that really heats it up, it has a better surge rating and the no load draw is almost nothing. All this for a lot less money.

Inverter technology has improved a lot over the last 20 years and there are a lot of options. What works for you depends on what you want to use the inverter for. I've ended up using 2 inverters for different power quality vs. load capacity needs. At 12 volts, if you want power, you are going to have to put in some big cables. At 3000 watts, you are not only going to need some big awkward heavy cables but at least a 300 amp fuse. A 300 hundred amp disconnect switch is not a trivial thing either.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Hey MisterB, I have one of those Stattpower inverters too. It's still a good unit.

There are motors and then there are motors. When I mention the Samlex units aren't recommended for motors (as per NAWS) it's more like "won't run a refrigerator or water pump", not an electric drill or sander. Big saws are always a problem. I had one that used to pop fuses on utility power! The new Skil I've got now doesn't.

That's why there's so much debate over will/won't work with such-and-such and inverter; it's sometimes a bit hit-or-miss matching inverter to load.
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭

The RS is a current, sine wave inverter that they market for RVs. It retails for about $1500. I agree about 3000w being too high for a 12v system but most mfrs. make something in that range.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is sinewave. Probably worth $500.

Spec's show <20 watts no-load so idle will draw about 1.5 amps.

You don't have to push it to max power, which would be about 280 amps if you have a battery large enough to handle that much current from a 12v system. Cables and connectors loss are critical for that much current.

Unit itself has limited controls so you might want to consider if you need control panel which if not included could add significant more cost (about $200).
  • lightmind
    lightmind Registered Users Posts: 5

I have one of these in the RV. It's capable of 50A service, 3000w continuous, has a 150A multi-stage charger, and is true sine wave. It's really the beast. You do need a control unit if it doesn't have one because it's the easiest way to control and monitor it. If you do use it, you need to connect to battery bank with 4/0 wire and have a 400A DC disconnect & fuse. Xantrex has all the applicable documentation on their site. Good find!