Generator Reliability

Options
jpistrit
jpistrit Registered Users Posts: 11
So... I've been lurkign here for a while and have built up a system for a friend who lives in the far north of Washington State.

I've got the system working pretty well overall:
- 360 watts of solar panels, 200 watt wind generator (about a year old)
- 550 AH of AGM batteries (just installed these last weekend)
- Exceltech XP1100 inverter (I got from our hosts here about 6 months ago)

Overall the system when operating on solar/wind is doing pretty well.

The problem remaining from before i started working on this is the generator. They have an IOTA DLS55 battery charger. When the generator is in use, that charger is the *only* load on it. (nothing else is plugged in, they continue running off battery they just recharge the batteries with the charger for a period of time and turn the generator back off).

So the problem is, they typically buy one of the 1500-2000 watt inverters sold in auto parts stores or Home Depot or whatever and the generators last about 3 years. (They didnt have as much solar capacity or any wind capacity before this year, so the amount of generator use especially in winter was much higher in the past).

Question is: Whats a type of generator that would last 4-5 years under these conditions? It appears they get about 3 seasons out of the "cheap" gas generators.

Is there a better way to power a battery charger? I think they tried one fo the really small generators (around 1000 watts) but that didnt last very long at all.

I'm interested in what people do for occasional use (probably 1 day in 3 or 4 in the winter and nothing in the summer) of a smaller generator?

Thanks
-jcp-

Comments

• keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Generator Reliability

In terms of gasoline generators, a small Honda inverter type would probably last much longer, but they might not want to spend the extra money.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IAN

A lower RPM (1800 RPM) Onan type generator would also last a long time, but they are expensive. A diesel type older Onan could also be very reliable, but they might be better off with a newer Honda inverter type.

Edward
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I knew this thread http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=9774 would come in handy some day! :D

As you probably suspected, the answer is to not buy the cheap ones.
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    Options

The following observations have absolutely NO scientific data to back them up (or at least I have no data to back them up):
    Generators seem to have a wide range of quality of construction and ability to handle abuse, and apparently this runs (at least sometimes) across all normal bounds of cost and/or brand name. In other words sometimes even the nice expensive ones seem to have lot of troubles, and other times even a cheapy *might* last for years. Now I am not in any way advocating going down to your local "home repo" shop and buying a "gene-wreck" for about $1000 and abusing it in every conceivable way; however this is precisely what I did and for some strange reason that I cannot figure out... the beast still runs!

I'm marking this one up as the singular event in my entire life where a product has lasted far longer, and taken FAR more abuse/misuse than intended and actually costed less money! We've run countless hours on it, it's been left out in the rain and snow more times than I'd care to admit, built our house, charged and EQ'd our battery bank countless times (120V off of one leg of a 240V output), been overloaded several times, forgot to change the oil once for longer than I care to admit... wait, I'll just stop there now I'm divulging far more than I meant too. At any rate she's now 7 years old, and just as a way of showing gratefulness she's now got a new helper (honda Eu2000i) so that she can move into a "part time" position in her old age.

Just to clarify, I offer no advice whatsoever here: just had to share what I consider to be an absolute miracle.
  • keyturbocars
    Options

Hillbilly, what model of Generac generator do you have?
  • hillbilly
    Options

Keyturbocars,
    I have a Generac 7550EXL (engine model is GH-410), but again I am certainly not recommending it per se, nor cheaper generators in general. I do think that there seems to be quite a range of quality of construction in the cheaper models; different engines and parts and such. I'm really surprised overall by how much use and abuse this particular generator has withstood, but I would hardly expect to get this kind of durability from another generator of the same make and model (or really from ANY generator actually). YMMV
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The stars and planets must have been in alignment during the construction of all parts and assembly of final product! That happens rarely...lucky you!

I had someone fail to crimp some locking tabs in my diesel genset's injector pump during it's initial manufacture. The result was wearing out of seals, rods and other mysterious stuff, after only 600 hours (mind you, it's 30 years old). Not so lucky me. Could have been worse...could have self destructed into multiple bits and pieces.

Ralph
  • keyturbocars
    Options

Hillbilly, I know that Generac doesn't have the best reputation, but a long time ago I did some research and found that some people had a good experience with some older models. I picked up a Briggs EXL8000 which is bascially the same generator you have except for some minor differences (many cosmetic). It has the 15HP Generac OHVI engine with full pressure lube & filter. Not sure why they rated yours 7550 and mine 8000, but it's probably just a marketing deal to round up to 8kW. Mine is also rated for 13,500 surge. I've got my EXL8000 as back up for an older Onan diesel generator.

Ralph, That is frustrating that a small oversight in the manufacture of your generator caused so much trouble. Good that it wasn't worse.
  • hillbilly
    Options

Keyturbocars,

I'm hoping that you've NOT been subjecting your generator to the same "rigorous testing standards" that I did on mine, but... how's it holding up so far? Just wondering
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The big question is, are cheap gennies failing mechanically or electrically? Owning, and working on a huge number of small(ish) gennies over the years they seem to fall into a number of categories. I personally would shy away from any genny that is powered by a B&S or Techumsa engine. A personal bias born of experience. The biggest issue with these in my experience has not been engine failure, but very poor voltage regulation ability. This includes units from Coleman/Generac/Northern Tool/Home Depot/Cnd Tire etc. They are cheap and there is a reason for it. (and they have crappy carbs which is the biggest source of problems!)

The next are the non inverter style Japaneese sytle units, like the honda Ex series, certain Mitsubishi's, Yamahas etc. I have found these to have very good reliability for rugged part time service, and they have pretty good voltage control. Noisy as they run full rpm, and not real fuel efficient.

The next are industrial "construction" type gennies, usually large singles 3-8kw, often with auto idle. These care brand names of major tool companies like Makita, or Dewalt, but usually have a Robin engine. These are very well built and with proper care will last thousands of hours if they are taken care of.

Then you get into the inverter series, from Honda, Yamaha, Kipor etc. in sizes ranging from 1-5 kw. I have used the honda Eu 1000 extensively and have also used a 2000 and 3000 on occasion. very reliable, very quiet and very fuel efficient. Anecdotally, I would not expect the engines to live as long as the EX series, but I have no real reason for that, only intuition. I have also used a Yamaha inverter 2000 which is essentially a exact copy of the Honda. Neighbor has one in year round charging service and has had good luck with it. He also had a Kipor which crapped it voltage regulator after ~ two years. (I would avoid the Kipors)

Finally there are the Onans. The newer Onan micro-lights are not half the generator that their older cousin were. That said, they are pretty reliable, can be had fairly cheap and common from wrecked RVs, they can and are easily made to run on propane, and with autostart. In sizes ranging from ~1.5-10kw. There is an emerald series that is more industrial that is still a pretty good machine.

If one can find an older CCK Onan, cast iron, 1800 RPM series genny, get it. They will run forever, spares are sill widely available. They are not the most fuel efficient unit out there, but I am still running a 1948 3.5 kw model that runs as well now as ever.

I guess that is enough for now,
    '
    'Tony
  • hillbilly
    Options
    jpistrit wrote: »

So the problem is, they typically buy one of the 1500-2000 watt inverters sold in auto parts stores or Home Depot or whatever and the generators last about 3 years. (They didnt have as much solar capacity or any wind capacity before this year, so the amount of generator use especially in winter was much higher in the past).

Question is: Whats a type of generator that would last 4-5 years under these conditions? It appears they get about 3 seasons out of the "cheap" gas generators.

Is there a better way to power a battery charger? I think they tried one fo the really small generators (around 1000 watts) but that didnt last very long at all.
    -

On those smaller generators, I'd say that the Iota 55amp charger is probably overloading them (I think it has a 12aac max power draw?). Even if they are say 2000-3000 watt rated generators there may be an issue here if they are 240/120V and all the load is going onto one of the legs. I'm guessing that elevation is not a big factor where they live? Do they regularly change the oil and all that?
  • keyturbocars
    Options

Hillbilly, I have not had to put the EXL8000 through it's paces very hard. I'm on-grid but I live out in the "boonies" and I like to have multiple sources of back up power. So far, it's run well when I used it for remote power around the farm. It's portable, so I can roll it up into the back of a small trailer and haul it around. My Onan is definitely NOT portable. BIG and heavy cast iron.

Tony, I agree that the older Onan are very reliable in most cases. I searched for a long time to find a 6.0 DJE. It was used by the state for remote power backup at a radio transmitter site. It was used very little. I got it on auction, and had to do some work to it, but from what I've read, it should last and last! I chose diesel because they are more fuel efficient.

Here's a picture of my old Onan when I first brought it home. It's currently set on Onan rubber mounts in my shop. They don't make 'em like they used to! :)

Edward