Different panels/wattages in same array?

Options
adam1984
adam1984 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
So i have heard and read many different things trying to find this out. I am wondering:
The system currently has 1-string of 3 evergreen 205's going through a 60A MPPT charge controller.
I was wondering for the following 2 situations what would happen:
Situation 1: (Using a panel with a large wattage difference.) For instance, wanting to add 3-100W panels. Should this be done, and if so, assuming the Charge controller can handle the voltage, could you put them in the same string as the 205's, or have them as a seperate string and combine them in the combiner box.

Situation 2: (Using a panel with a similar wattage), in this case, 3-195W modules. First, should the panels be wired in the same array? Second, if they can, does it matter if the voltage is different than the 205 voltage? And last, what effects would this have on the system if any?

Thanks to all in advance.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Different panels/wattages in same array?

Best case scenario: different panels, different controllers.

But you can mix different panels so long as the specs aren't too far off. In parallel connections it is the Vmp that makes the difference. In serial connections the important number is the Imp. The greater the differences, the less efficient the array becomes. Too great a difference and the "lesser" panel can be damaged.

Example: a typical "12 Volt" panel has a Vmp of 17.5 Volts, whereas a "24 Volt" panel would be double that; 35 Volts. It doesn't take much imagination to see what would happen if you hook 35 Volts to 17.5; current would try to flow from the higher panel to the lower one.

Bill can give you a very detailed account of the problem. He's smart like that.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Roughly, you could parallel the second string if their Vmp was within ~10% (or less mismatch) with the existing array.

If the mismatch is too far apart, the MPPT controller will have a hard time picking the maximum power point (there may be three MPP locations in the power curve, low Vmp, High Vmp and a middle Vmp).

And for adding series connected panels, again within ~10% of Imp between the different panels.

Also, when adding parallel strings of large and small panels--you should have a series protection fuse (per data sheet rating) for each string (big string can overheat small wattage string if there is a short otherwise).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • adam1984
    adam1984 Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

1) So, if i understand correctly, you can take 3- Evergreen 200's in one string, at 17.5Vmp and add a string of 3- 100W panels roughly the same voltage say, 17.8V, in PARALLEL, without losing efficiency or wattage? (and adding a breaker for that string) .... (voltage matching, current not matching)

2) If i had same Example, 17.5 Vmp 3-Evergreen 200's, with and Imp of 11.5, i could add in SERIES 3 - 280W panels at 26 Vmp and 11 Imp? ....... (current matching, voltage not matching)

That is what i got but coots comment makes sense:
    "It doesn't take much imagination to see what would happen if you hook 35 Volts to 17.5; current would try to flow from the higher panel to the lower one."
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    adam1984 wrote: »
    1) So, if i understand correctly, you can take 3- Evergreen 200's in one string, at 17.5Vmp and add a string of 3- 100W panels roughly the same voltage say, 17.8V, in PARALLEL, without losing efficiency or wattage? (and adding a breaker for that string) .... (voltage matching, current not matching)
    That is correct... Your first string is:
    • 3x 17.5 volts = 52.5 volts Vmp (nominal)
    • +/- 10% or +/- ~5.25 volts
    • 3x 17.8 volts = 53.4 volts
    • 52.5/53.4= ~0.98 or a match within ~2% -- Not a problem at all
    If you look at the Power Curves of typical solar panels, you see that the Pmp is fairly wide and does not change much over a 10% range of voltage/current.

Normally, for a matched pair of parallel connected panels (or strings of panels), a series fuse per parallel connection is not needed for one or two parallel connected strings. A short circuit anywhere does not draw any more than Isc--which is the same for each parallel string...

However, if you match 40 watt panels with 200 watt panels in parallel--one string can output 5x the current which could cause the smaller 40 watt string to overheat in the case there is a short circuit somewhere.
    2) If i had same Example, 17.5 Vmp 3-Evergreen 200's, with and Imp of 11.5, i could add in SERIES 3 - 280W panels at 26 Vmp and 11 Imp? ....... (current matching, voltage not matching)
    Yep--That is it.

You can also, add one 11 amp panel in series with a smaller pair of parallel connected 5.5 amp panels (which add up to ~11 amps).

Because solar panels are current sources and not voltage sources, they "share loads" pretty nicely (each contributes its available current as long as Vpanel is somewhere between 0 volts and Vmp).
    That is what i got but coots comment makes sense:
    "It doesn't take much imagination to see what would happen if you hook 35 Volts to 17.5; current would try to flow from the higher panel to the lower one."

That could be a problem with extreme miss-match of voltage (or current). Normally, if the miss-match is not too great--then it is just a loss of power (the 35 volt panel runs at ~17.5 volts -- for example paralleled to a PWM controller--P=I*V so the 35 volt panel running at 1/2 the voltage only outputs 1/2 the power).

The other thing to watch out for--Typically solar panels (and older used panels) were built for the day of 12-48 volt battery banks. And they have a maximum working voltage of around 75 volts (DC?).

The modern panels (typically over 100 watts) were designed to operate with Grid Tied Power supplies with Vmax system voltages of 600 VAC (typical house wiring ratings) or 1,000 VDC (in Europe).

So mixing old/small panels on a MPPT charge controller with Voc approaching 150 VDC could violate the max voltage ratings of older/smaller solar panels (designed for older/off grid battery systems).

Many older panels don't even list the Vmax rated system voltage.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dr.hotwire
    dr.hotwire Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options

Hi BB.
    I have a similar question and like to pick your thoughts.
    I have a Fronius IG4000 with an array of 2 strings with 9 ES-E 215 (Evergreen) panels in series. I would like to add 2 panels to each string but only have Solarworld SW240 available.
    The difference of Imp is 7%, both are 60cell poly.
    ES-E215: Imp 7.43A, Isc 8.12
    SW240: Imp 7.96, Isc 8.44
    Is there any danger of damaging the ES-E215 panels?
    thanks for your help
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

Not Bill but ...

No, you will not damage the panels. The SW240's current will be limited to the Evergreens' 7.43 Imp, reducing output slightly. Instead of functioning as 240 Watt panels they will function as about 224 Watts.
  • dr.hotwire
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Not Bill but ...

No, you will not damage the panels. The SW240's current will be limited to the Evergreens' 7.43 Imp, reducing output slightly. Instead of functioning as 240 Watt panels they will function as about 224 Watts.

Thanks a lot Cariboocoot, I got it.
    The SW240 is shifting it's operating point to a higher voltage/lower current to match the current of the Evergreen panel.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

I should mention that this not exactly 100% accurate because most likely it is on an MPPT controller or GTI input which will not necessarily pick panel Vmp * Imp as the power point. But the higher current panels will be limited to some extent by the lower ones.
  • dr.hotwire
    Options
    I should mention that this not exactly 100% accurate because most likely it is on an MPPT controller or GTI input which will not necessarily pick panel Vmp * Imp as the power point. But the higher current panels will be limited to some extent by the lower ones.

Ok, I didn't get it then. Is there literature about this configuration you could recommend?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

No, you did get it. :D

It's just that MPPT input on controllers and GTI's makes the actual current and Voltage of the panels at any given point in time a bit of a guessing game as it 'loads' the array until it finds the best setting it can for output. Quite often they run higher Voltage with lower current even though that seems contrary to standard panel operation.

BTW Bill, one thing seems to be coming up with the new series MPPT controllers like the Classic; they aren't having the "pick the wrong spot" problem of the old controllers. I think this has to do with the difference between the old "sweep system" and the new "continuous adjustment" which allows the 'dim' array to operate at the same Voltage as the 'bright' array even though he current is off. Not sure if this is correct, maybe Bob or Robin can confirm it.
  • dr.hotwire
    Options

Thanks again:D,
    makes sense, the MPPT sweeps the array until the power output is max., this is at the MPP of the panel with the lower current and should be close to Imp (Evergreen). Because the MPPT is responsable for the current the panel with the higher wattage is slightly off it's MPP at a slightly higher Voltage. And because it is 9x215Wp panels vs. 2x240Wp panels the MPPT most likely will pick the MPP of the 9 panels and that's what I want.
  • CVN-71
    CVN-71 Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Options

You could sell me your 205w panels and start fresh! I need 4 more 205's to finish expansion of my system but they are impossible to find. I heard the Sun-sovello's 195's are very similar.