Pole Mount and raceways

I have 15.8kw Trina 230 system Im installing. I heard that you need to have a raceway installed for panel wires. What's the deal with this, and what part of the NEC is this in? This will really add some labor and money if its actually the case. I will have no inspection due to locale. Only utility company will inspect. If that matters?

Comments

• dsp3930
    dsp3930 Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Pole Mount and raceways

My install had no local inspection required either. (by local authorities)

I live 2 miles outside city limits of the nearest town in a nearby county that does have inspection requirements. The county and township I live in has no electrical inspection requirements.

The problem I ran into is ....
    First Energy required an inspection by an authorized authority to certify my install so I could interconnect. Since there was noone covering my area, I had a difficuilt time working out with them what they would accept. The county inspector adjacent to me could not do this because it was out of their area. So, ultimately I had to hire a private inspector to come out and look it over. ($100) He didn't know much that much about solar, but signed off on it after being showed around.

I ultimately was able to determine that First Energy would accept signoff from any inspector that had been assigned an ESI number.

David
  • stumpy40
    stumpy40 Solar Expert Posts: 35

Ah good to know...I know that my utility required a one line drawing that they approved. They dont know much about it either from talking with them. I just dread something coming up that can't easily be fixed...cheaply.
  • dsp3930
    dsp3930 Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭✭✭

I ran 1/2 conduit from my MNPV6 combiner to about 1 foot below my panels, then put a T junction box with two downswept 90s on each end to keep the water out. My panels are bloody high up though. (>10')
    T.JPG 10.3K