Trace/Xantrex DR 2412 Inverter Problem

I have a Trace/Xantrex DR 2412 inverter that no longer wants to charge off the power grid, and it takes the 30-60 seconds search mode before I can turn it on. it still functions as a inverter............but not the battery charger..........so what's wrong? Fixable?

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Trace/Xantrex DR 2412 Inverter Problem

Perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and get an outback?
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Trace/Xantrex DR 2412 Inverter Problem

The DR series inverter function and charging function are somewhat independent (in comparison to SW series which inverter is also charger).

There is a conventional modified sinewave inverter that drives the input to a 24 vac to 120 vac isolation transformer. This is very similar to older computer UPS power supply units.

In charging, this transformer is used in reverse as a step down transformer. There are rectifiers on transformer output to converter to DC to charge batteries. The DR series maximum charge rate is very dependent on input AC voltage level.

To do this transformer reversing there are power relays. This would be one thing to check. Other would be charge rectifiers. If problem is a controller board issue then it probably is not worth fixing.

The DR controller board does semi-syncronize the modified sinewave inverter control to a connected AC input so it can do an immediate switch over to inverter if AC input goes down. Ths prevents the possible phase discontinuity during a crossover.
  • brianvaill25
    brianvaill25 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I also have a Xantrex inverter/charger 2412 and my issue is when you power inverter goes to search mode when you put a load inverter works light work and all after 10 sec goes back to search mode and you half to wait 30 sec for inverter to go back on.The battery is fully charged and inverter powers all of the shed lights radio about 1000watts.lights are bright and radio works but goes to search mode and u half to wait.