Charge Controllers

andy300z
andy300z Solar Expert Posts: 39
Guys i am in the process of purchasing a mppt charge controller and its narrowed down to the flex max 60 vs the morningstar tristar 60 amp and the flexmax 80. Any advise or experience will be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• stevend
    stevend Solar Expert Posts: 34
    Re: Charge Controllers

I've installed only one Morningstar Tristar 60, and I was unexpectedly handled it at the job site so I could do only a quick scan of the manual, but it had no display and is set up via dip switches inside where the connections are made. For a display you have the option of getting a Morningstar Remote Meter. The FLEXmax has a built in display which you can use to program it and monitor it. Personally I prefer the FLEXmax over the Tristar for that reason but on the other hand, the Tristar is simpler and significantly cheaper if you don't want the display for monitoring. Both have MPPT and manual/automatic equalization. Both companies make reliable products and have been around for a long time.

Regarding the difference between the FLEXmax 60 and 80, have a look at:
    http://outbackpower.com/products/charge_controllers/flexmax/
    The difference is in what solar array size they support and their output, 60 amps vs 80 amps. Which is right for your system size? Or, do you plan on expanding your system in the future? If a FLEXmax 60 is right for you now but you plan on growing to need an 80 in the future, I'd suggest just going with the 80 now. They're reliable devices and will last a long time.
    -Steve
  • 54d18
    54d18 Solar Expert Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I suppose it depends on what capacity you are after,
    if you are looking for a good unit with a max of 30A
    then the Rogue MPT 3024 is an excellent unit.

Marc has been great to deal with, answering all
    questions promptly and thoroughly.

2 thumbs up Marc...
  • andy300z

I am realy looking for something with high amperage and high open volt system.
    I dont wont to keep upgrading charge controllers because i want to keep adding panels to my set up as funds are available. I wanted to wait for the classic midnight but i have the solar bug and i cant wait that long.
  • andy300z
    andy300z wrote: »
    I dont wont to keep upgrading charge controllers because i want to keep adding panels to my set up as funds are available. I wanted to wait for the classic midnight but i have the solar bug and i cant wait that long.

Guys any feed back on the apollo t80 mppt controllers
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

I prefer the morningstar for 2 main reasons: it uses a passive heatsink for cooling, where the outbacks use fans; and it has built in webserver and ethernet connectivity.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

FYI:
    Windsun wrote: »
    Just a heads up - we no longer carry the Apollo stuff for the simple reason that far too much was coming back on warranty.

Windsun is our host here from NAWS.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly Solar Expert Posts: 334 ✭✭
    andy300z wrote: »

This is a very appealing idea, and was the exact thinking that I had when setting up our system. One thing to be aware of that has been an unexpected PIA on our end has been that many of the manufacturers of PV panels have changed/discontinued various panels, so matching up similar voltage or current rates has proven challenging (absolutely go with MPPT controllers that allow for a wide range of voltage inputs/output conversion). Also as NEC regulations have changed, the MC cable connections have also changed (and may change again?); just some things to be aware of for future additions.

I have no personal experience with any of the controllers you mentioned, although I've had good results with the smaller morningstar controler, and an older discontinued outback controller (MX 60) fwiw...
  • andy300z
    BB. wrote: »
    FYI:

Windsun is our host here from NAWS.

-Bill

Noted . Thanks !!!!