If adding solar, hidden, future expenses?

bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
I've read a number of comments that try to predict how long it takes for solar investment to pay for itself, but in all of these none have reflected additional costs that would naturally go along with adding to an existing structure.

Does attaching solar to your roof void any kind of warranty from home builders? If you have a new-ish home, and add solar after the fact, does your shingle, metal, or tile roof lose its warranty? What keeps a roofing sub-contractor from blaming the solar for a leak, and thereby refusing warranty repair? And when you have to replace a roof, what happens to the solar installation? Has anyone figured out THAT cost and added it in the 'break-even' estimation?

I'm just saying....

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: If adding solar, hidden, future expenses?

You are correct that improper installation can give you roof leaks later. Our roofer that just installed a new roof for us told us that he goes out on jobs where he has to do repairs after the installer is done... In fact, he is now looking into doing solar PV installs now because of his experience.

It would not (duh...) hurt to find out how your solar installer is going to attach the array to your roof and contact the roofer (or the roofing system manufacturer) and see what they have to say.

I do add the costs for a new inverter after 10-15 years when calculating costs of power. Also I add the replacement costs of batteries for off-grid systems. I usually only assume 20 years for production. Anything much longer is just not financially practical (loans, out of pocket money, new equipment upgrades after 10-20 years, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Juram
    Juram Solar Expert Posts: 36
    Re: If adding solar, hidden, future expenses?
    BB. wrote: »
    You are correct that improper installation can give you roof leaks later. Our roofer that just installed a new roof for us told us that he goes out on jobs where he has to do repairs after the installer is done... In fact, he is now looking into doing solar PV installs now because of his experience.

It would hurt to find out how your solar installer is going to attach the array to your roof and contact the roofer (or the roofing system manufacturer) and see what they have to say.

A responsible solar installer will verify that the installation will not violate any existing roof warranties. Inspections by a license and bonded roofer before and after inspection usually alleviate these issues.

It also is worth paying attention to how the installer is doing their inserts and mounting. Good installers will at minimum use a double-flashing, triple-seal process upon installation and add their own warranty to the roofs integrity.
    I do add the costs for a new inverter after 10-15 years when calculating costs of power. Also I add the replacement costs of batteries for off-grid systems. I usually only assume 20 years for production. Anything much longer is just not financially practical (loans, out of pocket money, new equipment upgrades after 10-20 years, etc.).

-Bill

Yep, any sort of solar financial analysis program will add a deduction in ROI somewhere during years 10-15 for removal/replacement of the inverter unit however it is possible to push that back further as inverter manufacturers such as SMA offer extended warranties up to 15 years.