Where to insert wind power in system

Options
greenthumb76
greenthumb76 Solar Expert Posts: 40
I am hoping you can advise me on where is the best place to insert the wires from a small (60 watt) wind turbine I am buying.

I am a bit confused, because I will have 2 batteries wired in parallel. I'm not sure if it matters which battery I wire it to. (The solar controller I have now has only one input, for solar, and is not meant for wind power, so I will not have a controller yet).

Comments

• KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Where to insert wind power in system
    I am hoping you can advise me on where is the best place to insert the wires from a small (60 watt) wind turbine I am buying.

I am a bit confused, because I will have 2 batteries wired in parallel. I'm not sure if it matters which battery I wire it to. (The solar controller I have now has only one input, for solar, and is not meant for wind power, so I will not have a controller yet).

There are two good battery web sites that Bill often quotes, but I can't find them at the moment.

However, the current wiring for your batteries is problematic.

The way you currently have the batteries wired, battery A will get a somewhat higher percentage of charge, while battery B will get a somewhat higher percentage of the inverter load.

The negative for both the charge controller and the inverter should connect to Battery 1. The positive for both the charge controller and the inverter should connect to the positive for battery 2. This will even out the load and the charge across both batteries.

Keith
  • greenthumb76
    Options

Thanks! I'll make those changes!

Still wanting to know where to connect the wires from a new 60 watt wind turbine . . . :D
  • KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks! I'll make those changes!

Still wanting to know where to connect the wires from a new 60 watt wind turbine . . . :D

The wires from the wind turbine charge controller are going to connect the same place as the other wires.

Keith
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

One handy site that keeps getting posted here is:

Smart Meter battery wiring FAQ

The point at which you connect your loads and chargers is the "balanced current flow" point for all of the batteries (all batteries share equally charging and discharging).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • greenthumb76
    Options

Thank you. That was a good article.

Would the one, 15 amp fuse be sufficient, with 2 batteries in parallel?

If I were to buy a battery cut off (looks like a faucet handle),would I need one, or two? If one, to which battery would I attach it?
  • BB.
    Options

I am not sure what your questions are...

Fuses should be sized to the gauge of the wire... A 15-20 amp fuse is good for 14 awg wire.

And the wire should be sized for 1.25 x the maximum current... Assuming your 60 watt turbine at 12 volts:
    • 60 watts * 1/12 volts * 1.25 = 6.25 amp fuse/wire minimum
    We also watch out for voltage drop (long wire run from turbine to battery bank)--Use a voltage drop calculator to ensure that your drop is around 3% maximum for your wire run.

What do you want to do with the battery switch? Turn off the inverter or turn off the turbine (not a good idea--normally a HAWT needs an electrical load 100% of the time to prevent over speed (the smaller ones do have a switch that allows you to either connect to the battery or short out the windings to stall the turbine).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • greenthumb76
    Options

I ran 10 awg cables the 15 feet from the solar panel to the controller. The rest of the cables are 4 gauge, to keep losses to a minimum, and to allow for additional panels, wind etc. later.

My question was--with 2 batteries, is one fuse between the batteries and inverter sufficient? (I currently have a 20 amp fuse there).

You mentioned a voltage drop calculator--do you happen to have a link to one?

Here is a link to the wind turbine I plan to buy: http://www.usawindgen.com/30.html It is a 12 volt DC turbine.

The description says that the higher the wind speed is, the more power is produced. I am not sure what the max. current or volts would be, so I am unsure what cables and fuses it will require. I am thinking about placing it about 60 feet from the batteries.

The reason I was considering a battery cutoff switch is to simplify things if I need to work on the system. It seems I'm always having to remove the battery (and other associated) cables.

Thank you!:D
  • BB.
    Options
    I ran 10 awg cables the 15 feet from the solar panel to the controller. The rest of the cables are 4 gauge, to keep losses to a minimum, and to allow for additional panels, wind etc. later.
    Keep the cables short and heavy from the charge controller to the battery bank... You want the controller to accurately measure the battery bank voltage and have very little voltage drop.
    My question was--with 2 batteries, is one fuse between the batteries and inverter sufficient? (I currently have a 20 amp fuse there).
    It is difficult for me to say... In your other thread, you have a 1,500 watt inverter which would require:
    • 1,500 watts * 1/10.5v batt cutoff * 1/0.85 efficiency * 1.25 NEC safety factor = 210 amp circuit/fusing
    So, for rated power, you are looking at a ~200 amp fuse and a 1 to 3/0 cable... If the inverter is only powering small loads:
    • 20 amp * 10.5 volts * 0.85 inv eff * 1/1.25 NEC derating = 143 watts maximum
    So--It all depends on your expectations. Obviously, a small panel+battery bank does not support a 1,500 watt inverter running at full power very long.
    You mentioned a voltage drop calculator--do you happen to have a link to one?

voltage drop calculator (Excel spread sheet for designing system)
    very simple drop calculator (the % voltage drop does not help for non-standard line voltages)

Notice that the wire length may be round trip (path through entire wire length) or one-way length (calculator doubles voltage drop for you). Just be sure you understand which "wire length" your calculator uses.
    Here is a link to the wind turbine I plan to buy: http://www.usawindgen.com/30.html It is a 12 volt DC turbine.

The description says that the higher the wind speed is, the more power is produced. I am not sure what the max. current or volts would be, so I am unsure what cables and fuses it will require. I am thinking about placing it about 60 feet from the batteries.

Ummm... That is really not going to give you significant amount of power for your system (my guess)... You would be lucky if it averaged 6 watt power output in a pretty windy area.

They say it works great charging AA and D cell batteries--It is really not large enough to make much of a difference charging your storage batteries.

Another issue is the single turbine does not start generating until 15 MPH winds (remember that is still near 0 watts into your battery bank)--Most places do not have any where near that average wind.

Unless you have some special need for that turbine (teaching your kids, live on a coastal bluff, etc.)--I would humbly suggest to save your money. and invest it in more solar panels.
    The reason I was considering a battery cutoff switch is to simplify things if I need to work on the system. It seems I'm always having to remove the battery (and other associated) cables.

Many times, people use a switch like that to isolate just the inverter so you can turn it on only when you need AC power (standby losses are a big issue with smaller systems).

You can place the switch at the battery bus + output and run your switched loads to a bus at the output of that switch. Usually, you would probably attach the solar charge controllers to the unswitched battery bank, and the loads to the switched battery bank (you normally always want the chargers permanently connected).

-Bill
  • greenthumb76
    Options

I don't mean to seem so argumentative, I'm just trying to clarify, because the things you are telling me seem to conflict with other things I have been told. I am on a VERY fixed income, and this system I am putting together provides ALL my power! I am very thrifty and use very little power, nevertheless, I wish to get the most power I can for my investment.

I know that averaged year-round solar will provide well--but that doesn't help a lot in the winter if most of the power is produced in the summer! Hence, my hope to complement solar with wind.

It is difficult for me to say... In your other thread, you have a 1,500 watt inverter which would require:

* 1,500 watts * 1/10.5v batt cutoff * 1/0.85 efficiency * 1.25 NEC safety factor = 210 amp circuit/fusing

So, for rated power, you are looking at a ~200 amp fuse and a 1 to 3/0 cable.

I was told by a licensed contractor/electrician that a 20 amp fuse was sufficient. (1500 watts is the a/c output of the inverter (3,000 watts peak surge).) Was he wrong?

If the inverter is only powering small loads:

* 20 amp * 10.5 volts * 0.85 inv eff * 1/1.25 NEC derating = 143 watts maximum

You're saying that the way it is set up now, I can only run 143 watts of lights or whatever, at most?

Here is info regarding the wind turbine, that I was basing my expectations on:

"I have tested them in winds over 65mph and they just keep putting out more power. Depending upon what kind of load (higher loads require more wind to begin turning) you have hooked to it, it will start turning in as little as 4-5 mph winds. The Micro-2 can be wired in series to allow it to output 12+volts in about 9 mph winds."

The Micro-2 is what I was planning to get.
    They say it works great charging AA and D cell batteries
    This, they say, is if it is only 5-6 mph winds.
    Another issue is the single turbine does not start generating until 15 MPH winds

Again, I was planning to get the Micro-2, wired in series, which they say will give "12+ output in about 9 mph winds."

9 mph wind is totally within reason, where I live, in the wintertime.

I do not have high expectations of this wind turbine. But I figured that, in the winter in Virginia, it would be equivalent to, or exceed, what my 50 watt solar panel could produce. It costs about 2/3 of what another solar panel would cost.

Given that info, you really think it would only produce about 6 watts?

Many times, people use a switch like that to isolate just the inverter so you can turn it on only when you need AC power

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing . . . ?

link: http://www.amazon.com/Swan-Type-Battery-Cut-Off-Switch/dp/B001JE32H4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4

"Want to save wear and tear and possible shorting of your battery cables when servicing your car? Then install one of these. Most mechanics now disconnect the battery to perform any maintenance on most cars these days to avoid shocks. the constant disconnecting and tugging / bending of the cables can lead to failure and shorts.

This device avoids all that. Long used by owners of collector cars and the like, the disconnect takes seconds to install and cutting battery power is as simple as turning the little wheel. Some switches have a small "lifeline" cable that allows only a trickle of power to keep your engine's computer alive while the main power is shut off. "
  • BB.
    Options
    I don't mean to seem so argumentative, I'm just trying to clarify, because the things you are telling me seem to conflict with other things I have been told. I am on a VERY fixed income, and this system I am putting together provides ALL my power! I am very thrifty and use very little power, nevertheless, I wish to get the most power I can for my investment.

I know that averaged year-round solar will provide well--but that doesn't help a lot in the winter if most of the power is produced in the summer! Hence, my hope to complement solar with wind.
    Asking questions and providing information is not a problem. I am not there and I can miss-understand questions/information provided.

I understand the issue of needing to generate electricity when the sun is not shining--Wind seems like a nice mix with solar PV. But, in practice, wind has lots of costs, issues, and limitations.

If you want to try it--Go ahead, it is not going to hurt anything if connected correctly.
    I was told by a licensed contractor/electrician that a 20 amp fuse was sufficient. (1500 watts is the a/c output of the inverter (3,000 watts peak surge).) Was he wrong?
    Would the one, 15 amp fuse be sufficient, with 2 batteries in parallel?
    I was talking about fusing the DC input to the inverter--It sounds like your electrician is talking about the inverter output...

The DC input fuse is required for safety. The AC output fuse may not even be needed (many inverters have a fuse/breaker already on their output).
    You're saying that the way it is set up now, I can only run 143 watts of lights or whatever, at most?
    Again, if the 20 amp fuse is on the output--Then the limitation is:
    • 20 amps * 120 VAC * 1/1.25 NEC fuse derating = 1,920 watts @ 120 VAC
    Here is info regarding the wind turbine, that I was basing my expectations on:

"I have tested them in winds over 65mph and they just keep putting out more power. Depending upon what kind of load (higher loads require more wind to begin turning) you have hooked to it, it will start turning in as little as 4-5 mph winds. The Micro-2 can be wired in series to allow it to output 12+volts in about 9 mph winds."

The Micro-2 is what I was planning to get.

This, they say, is if it is only 5-6 mph winds.

Again, I was planning to get the Micro-2, wired in series, which they say will give "12+ output in about 9 mph winds."

9 mph wind is totally within reason, where I live, in the wintertime.

I do not have high expectations of this wind turbine. But I figured that, in the winter in Virginia, it would be equivalent to, or exceed, what my 50 watt solar panel could produce. It costs about 2/3 of what another solar panel would cost.
    On my quick look through the site, I did not see any sort of output curve...

Please note that when a wind turbine outputs 12+ volts at 9mph--that is 12 volts at Zero current:
    • Power = V*I = 12 volts * 0 amps = 0 watts
    And to charge your battery bank--you need it to output at least 15 volts (14.5 volt battery charging + 0.2 to 1.0 volt diode/rectifier drop + wiring drop).

At what speed will the wind have to be for the system to output 60 watts at 15+ volts--For most HAWT wind turbines, they are designed to output maximum power at ~25-30 MPH. Pretty much a wind storm.

9 mph wind is a "gentle breeze" or A Beaufort scale 3 (Leaves and small twigs constantly moving, light flags extended.)

A 25-30 MPH wind is a scale 6 (Large branches in motion. Whistling heard in overhead wires. Umbrella use becomes difficult. Empty plastic garbage cans tip over.)

And 65 MPH is violent storm at 11 (Widespread damage to vegetation. Many roofing surfaces are damaged; asphalt tiles that have curled up and/or fractured due to age may break away completely.)

And, the problem is that low speed / turbulent wind (wind near ground below ~30') has very little power it in. The power in wind goes with the cube (^3) of the wind speed. And below ~10mph--it does not matter how efficient or large the wind turbine is (talking about real turbines, not marketing numbers).
    • 9 mph ^ 3 = 729 units of power
    • 25 mph ^ 3 = 15,625 units of power
    • 15,625 / 9 = 1,736 times as much power in 25 mph wind vs 9 mph wind
    So, without a chart/graph of output current/power at 15 volts--I can not even guess how much power it will output.
    Given that info, you really think it would only produce about 6 watts?
    Talking about long term average--And, yes, I think that 6 watts long term average for this dual turbine mounted on a less than 30' pole (really should be a 60' tower) is probably overestimating its output.

Now--remember that this is a long term average (over months/year)... And even 6 watts x 24 hours a day (average) is roughly equivalent to a solar panel in 2 hours of winter sun:
    • 6 watts * 24 hours = 148 WH per day
    • 148 WH per day * 1/2 hours of sun per day * 1/0.77 solar derating = 96 watt panel
    So--If this turbine performs well in winter (well=6 watts average power), that would be the equivalent of a ~96 watt solar panel in average winter sun.

It is not unusual for a large wind farm to produce 2% of its name plate rating on an average day (60 watts * 2% = 3 watts).

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing . . . ?

link: http://www.amazon.com/Swan-Type-Battery-Cut-Off-Switch/dp/B001JE32H4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4

"Want to save wear and tear and possible shorting of your battery cables when servicing your car? Then install one of these. Most mechanics now disconnect the battery to perform any maintenance on most cars these days to avoid shocks. the constant disconnecting and tugging / bending of the cables can lead to failure and shorts.

This device avoids all that. Long used by owners of collector cars and the like, the disconnect takes seconds to install and cutting battery power is as simple as turning the little wheel. Some switches have a small "lifeline" cable that allows only a trickle of power to keep your engine's computer alive while the main power is shut off. "
    I was typing about this:
    Blue Sea Battery Switch 1-2-OFF 350 Amp
    wind-sun_2131_35939699 Blue Sea 9001e 350 Amp Battery Switch Make-before-break contact design allows switching between battery banks without power interruption Ignition protected - Safe for ... mounting Meets American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) requirements for battery switches 3/8"-16 tin-plated copper studs for maximum ...

What you posted was a nice way of disconnecting a battery without using a wrench... Not a bad thing in itself--but there are some dangers with using this type of disconnect (or any disconnecting battery posts/cables too).
    1. this is right next to the battery--you have to be very careful to not have a spark light off the hydrogen gas in the battery cells themselves. Battery explosions can be a very nasty thing. (a remote switch like above reduces the ignition hazard).
    2. disconnecting the battery when everything is "Off" is one thing. With solar and wind connected, this can be the equivalent of disconnecting the battery with the engine running. In a car, if you disconnect the battery while the engine is running, the alternator output can easily go over 12 volts (even as high as 120+ volts). You run the risk of destroying your car's electronics/lights/etc. Disconnecting a wind turbine (or possibly even a solar charge controller) while charging and having other 12 volt items connected can over-volt. That is why I was trying to talk about turning off your loads (disconnecting from battery) vs simply disconnecting the entire battery from the chargers/loads.
    Don't feel bad asking questions about what I (and others) type here... There is always the possibility of miss-understanding on my or your side. And since we are dealing with electricity and batteries--We need to be 100% clear in both our understandings before anything is done.

This will probably save you money on mistakes, and also keep you safe.

-Bill
  • greenthumb76
    Options

Wow. I guess my electrician friend didn't take the time to look at my diagram. I was asking him about an input fuse . . . I guess that explains why the 20 A fuse blew.

And my 4 awg battery cable between the battery and inverter is not sufficient?

Yes, wind power certainly seems more difficult than solar! But, it sounds like it could still be helpful, if I understood correctly.

As far as the wind turbine, if it can average 3 watts power output, then it would be equivalent to my 50 watt solar panel in winter sun, right? (And in winter, we have more wind here. Throwing trash cans around is not uncommon.)

Please tell me again what conditions you think would be necessary for it to achieve 3 watts average power, that would also be the right voltage/amperage to recharge my batteries.

In regards to disconnecting the battery, via a manual cutoff switch, (provided there is no power being produced)--is this switch a safe way to go?
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

Just because it produces 12 volts, it may not supply enough current to charge anything larger than some household batteries. Also, the claim of 60 watts is peak production, and is unregulated.
  • BB.
    Options
    Wow. I guess my electrician friend didn't take the time to look at my diagram. I was asking him about an input fuse . . . I guess that explains why the 20 A fuse blew.
    We have all been guilty of a quick glance then giving our advice from "on high"... Sometimes it comes back and bites back. :roll:

Many electricians are used to looking at the AC side of things and never think about the difference between 12 volts and 120 volts that you get on off-grid solar systems. Once he sits down and looks carefully--I am sure he would see the mistake.
    And my 4 awg battery cable between the battery and inverter is not sufficient?
    Yes and no... Practically, your cable will probably work fine.

If you do it from the engineering side (my background), you have to plan for minimum voltage, worst case losses, running at 100% maximum load, and "safety factors/fuse/breaker ratings"... By that logic, no, 4 awg is not large enough.

There are also other issues regarding running an inverter from a battery bank...

Very roughly (general rules of thumb here)--You should try to keep your average loads on a batter bank around the 5-13% of rated bank capacity (i.e, a 200 AH battery bank would be 10-26 amps of 12 VDC average). That is the most efficient range for the batteries.

For surge currents it would be a C/2.5 or 40% maximum surge current (200 AH * 40% = 80 amps peak). If you exceed the 40% current value--you do run the risk of simply pulling the battery (plus wiring voltage drop) down below 10.5 volts (inverter cutoff) if the battery is less than 100% charged.

The above are rough guidelines--Some batteries supply more surge current than others. And AGM batteries tend to have lower internal resistance and so can be pressed harder than flooded cell.
    As far as the wind turbine, if it can average 3 watts power output, then it would be equivalent to my 50 watt solar panel in winter sun, right? (And in winter, we have more wind here. Throwing trash cans around is not uncommon.)

Again, with no performance curves/charts/numbers--I cannot promise anything.

A guess would be mounting these turbines on a 30-60 foot tall tower (30' above obstructions within 500 feet) may give you 6 watt average over many months.

My own guess--I would be surprised if you got any "useful" energy from them in less than 15 mph wind... So these will only produce any power during stormy conditions.
    Please tell me again what conditions you think would be necessary for it to achieve 3 watts average power, that would also be the right voltage/amperage to recharge my batteries.
    Because wind power is so variable (wind itself, location, tower height, turbine design/hardware)--There is nothing I can say from here that would "guarantee" any non-zero performance from these turbines.

In my humble opinion (again, to be clear, I am not a fan of small wind power), you have several choices.
    • Find somebody in your area who has successful wind turbine installations and have them look at your site (they will look for trees that "flag" / bend due to prevailing winds, will probably tell you a minimum 60 foot tower)
    • Get an anemometer kit and log the wind (at the level you plan on installing the turbines) for winter and measure the actual power.
    • Install the wind turbines you are thinking about, as high as you can, and then place some sort of Amp*Hour/Watt*Hour meter on them to measure and log their true output over time.
    • Get a wind turbine with published specifications and successful installs. There have been a few mentioned here on this site. Beware that the wind turbine itself is usually the "inexpensive" part of the install. Tower with concrete/bracing/stays/wiring/charge controllers are usually the vast majority of the cost of a "wind installation".
    In regards to disconnecting the battery, via a manual cutoff switch, (provided there is no power being produced)--is this switch a safe way to go?
    Sure--No current flow, wearing a face shield/goggles to protect your eyes (recommend--does everyone do that--no).

-Bill
  • greenthumb76
    Options

Thank you for all your help, and for putting me on the right track (in regards to my wiring)! :D