Need help from a seasoned pro...

MNSolar
MNSolar Registered Users Posts: 5
I'm trying to find out how many years it takes for a Solar panel to save more CO2 than is expelled into the atmosphere during manufacturing it, transporting it, storing it in a temperature conrolled building before install, etc..

There's probably an 'official' calculation already known for this so forgive the fact I don't know what it is.

Mostly I wanted to ask it here because I'm knew to working for a solar company and I encountered a fiesty, opinionated skeptic in my first week on the job who rather embarrased me.

The guy basically told me Solar was completely over-rated in it's overall contribution toward CO2 reduction. I was not sure what to say as I had not even contemplated the very obvious fact that panels clearly have a footprint in their manufacturing.

Besides feeling rather dumb, it also rattled me a bit on what the actual value of Solar is regarding Climate Change and CO2 emmissions - is it solely about Energy Independence and long-term cost savings? Just want to make sure I know what the heck I'm talking about with potential customers:)

I suspect this is stated somewhere by the mfgs. since we are moving toward a business requirement from the likes of Walmart that will pressure their supply-chain to report their carbon footprint.

Thoughts?

Comments

• AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Re: Need help from a seasoned pro...

Between 2.5 - 4 years for total CO2 emissions "payback" associated with manufacture, transportation and installation of grid-tie multicrystalline silicon system. The time depends of many factors, mainly on what source of electricity solar will be replacing and solar irradiance level. Coal is the shortest and is about 2.5 years for large multimegawatt install. Nuclear or hydro is longest, I would expect. Manufacturing of raw solar cells emits about 350g of CO2 per Watt peak which equals to about 7 grams of CO2 per KWh if cells last 25 years and solar irradiance is 5 hours per day average. That does not include the rest of the system, just the cells. For comparison, coal plants emit in the range of 900 - 1700 grams CO2 per KWh. Methane gas combined cycle plants run at about 600 g/KWh. I will provide sources later.
  • MNSolar
    MNSolar Registered Users Posts: 5

Wow! That's awesome - THANKS!
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I think your utility should have a disclosure some place.

here is mine
    http://www.aps.com/_files/rates/disclosure.pdf
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Well yea, but that 7 grams is just for manufacturing no?

Doesn't include the transportation of raw materials to the factory and the shipping of finished product? Or the transportation of labor to the factory? Or the building of the factory? Or lots of other factors I would assume.

Still better than coal for sure. How does it stand up to fission?