Off Topic, but perhaps relevant to alternative energy

Options
bmet
bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
I am a self-employed contractor, and occasionally work the convention center of the city where I live. Two days ago I was in a room where oil industry professionals were meeting, and a representative from British Petroleum addressed a group of petroleum geologists.

I heard the following.

Due to closing of obsolete refineries which have not been replaced at the rate they are being phased out, PLUS the closing of 104 nuclear plants which will not be replaced, AND current administration policy, the oil industry is looking at a production shortage that is likely to drive prices up to over $135 a barrel by mid 2012. This translates to $4.50-$5 a gallon by election time.

This was not not public forum. It is BP talking to industry geologists. The whole conference was a basic revisit of shale technologies, and investment into low-grade crude that was once rejected outright because of prohibitive infrastructure.

I think we can take BP's prediction as an earnest statement.

Go Solar

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Off Topic, but perhaps relevant to alternative energy

According to the link below, there are only 104 plants in the US. Below are some some quotes which show that many of them will be online for decades more.

"As of the end of 2009 the NRC had extended the licences of 59 reactors, over half of the US total. The NRC is considering licence renewal applications for further units, with more applications expected by 2013. In all, about 90 reactors are likely to have 60-year lifetimes, with owners undertaking major capital works to upgrade them at around 30-40 years."

"By mid-2009, COL (construction and operating license) applications for 26 new units at 17 sites had been submitted to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission."

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf41.html

I'm not a fan of nuclear and would prefer that all of the plants be shut down under their original decommissioning schedules, but it appears that many of them will be around for decades more. I didn't find an easy source of info on future refinery capacity.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • techntrek
    Options

I just found a source of info on refinery capacity. This article says yes, refineries are being shut down rapidly, but its due to overcapacity. So I'm guessing that this will push gas prices up as capacity is adjusted to meet demand (the market price must be too low right now if there is overcapacity), but it won't skyrocket if they are only going to close 5-8% more of existing capacity.

"However, while there are good effects for the nation, the consequences for refiners are strongly negative. Seven hundred thousand barrels of refining capacity have been shut down or mothballed in North America in just the last year alone. Five mainland US refineries were shut down entirely in 2009, including plants in Delaware and New Jersey. The overall number of US refineries has declined to 150, from a peak of 300 in the early 1980s. Even after all these cuts, there’s still too much capacity; the chief economist at one refiner estimates that current industry capacity of 18 million barrels per day must be cut by another 5 to 8 percent (or around 1.35 million barrels) to bring it more in line with demand.

Squeezed between reduced demand and the persistently high cost of crude oil—which is keeping gasoline prices in the upper $2’s—refineries are losing money. Exxon Mobil, for example, lost $203 million on US refinery operations in the third quarter alone. That high crude price is why oil production remains profitable, but refining has become, in many cases, a money-losing proposition—hence, the shutdowns."

http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/low-gasoline-demand-continues-to-hurt-us-oil-refiners105/
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But on the flip side, if they shut down the refineries, give it time some body is going to yell "fuel shortage" then here come the long lines and high prices.....again.
  • bmet
    Options

The BP spokesman was quite clear on the refinery phase out. It is from EPA changes that mandate cleaner processes, and all the plants being referred to are from inability to meet newer standards.

I don't know who this oil website is sponsored by, or what their agenda is. But I do know what BP told their own, that it was for EPA compliance, not overproduction. Is BP going to lie to their own field operatives?

Nuclear power? I don't know either, but it is clear BP considers them another mechanism for shortages in the near term.

BP
    techntrek wrote: »
    I just found a source of info on refinery capacity. This article says yes, refineries are being shut down rapidly, but its due to overcapacity. So I'm guessing that this will push gas prices up as capacity is adjusted to meet demand (the market price must be too low right now if there is overcapacity), but it won't skyrocket if they are only going to close 5-8% more of existing capacity.

"However, while there are good effects for the nation, the consequences for refiners are strongly negative. Seven hundred thousand barrels of refining capacity have been shut down or mothballed in North America in just the last year alone. Five mainland US refineries were shut down entirely in 2009, including plants in Delaware and New Jersey. The overall number of US refineries has declined to 150, from a peak of 300 in the early 1980s. Even after all these cuts, there’s still too much capacity; the chief economist at one refiner estimates that current industry capacity of 18 million barrels per day must be cut by another 5 to 8 percent (or around 1.35 million barrels) to bring it more in line with demand.

Squeezed between reduced demand and the persistently high cost of crude oil—which is keeping gasoline prices in the upper $2’s—refineries are losing money. Exxon Mobil, for example, lost $203 million on US refinery operations in the third quarter alone. That high crude price is why oil production remains profitable, but refining has become, in many cases, a money-losing proposition—hence, the shutdowns."

http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/low-gasoline-demand-continues-to-hurt-us-oil-refiners105/
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Slappy wrote: »
    But on the flip side, if they shut down the refineries, give it time some body is going to yell "fuel shortage" then here come the long lines and high prices.....again.
    Refinery issues (maintenance/accidents) are regularly used as excuses for high pump prices.

I would expect those issues to have a bigger effect at the pump as refineries continue their consolidation.

Though I'm not sure how refinery/electricity (nuclear)/administration policies will lead to production shortages and $135/barrel oil prices...

Oil is only used for electricity in significant amounts in Hawaii in the USA. Outside of the USA, oil is primarily used for electricity in the middle east - but even there you see them working to increase nuclear and solar power.

IMO, $135/barrel oil prices will be due primarily to increasing global demand as the economy slowly recovers along with no new significant reserves being found with most new reserves being found in increasingly difficult locations to retrieve oil.

Still seems to be as good a time as any to reduce your exposure to oil and energy prices as much as possible - the record cheap natural we currently have isn't going to last forever. Bringing the entire thread on-topic - that means improving efficiency of your home and installing as much PV as possible to cover as much of your demands as possible.

The Oill Drum covers this topic a lot.

That said - this article only confirms a lot of the issues refiners face these days in regards to emissions:

Tesoro fire erupts, level two warning activated
  • zeuspaul
    zeuspaul Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the record cheap natural we currently have isn't going to last forever.

Perhaps the low gas prices will only be around for the next eighty years or so.

http://www.nctimes.com/business/article_c5fcbaae-e32f-557f-bdaf-876f4b3a8519.html

A few excerpts
    NEW YORK ---- By unlocking decades' worth of natural-gas deposits deep underground across the United States, drillers have ensured that natural gas will be cheap and plentiful for the foreseeable future. It's a reversal from a few years ago that is transforming the energy industry.
    But it has upended the ambitious growth plans of companies that produce power from wind, nuclear energy and coal. Those plans were based on the assumption that supplies of natural gas would be tight, and prices high.

Billions of dollars' worth of plans to build wind farms and nuclear reactors have been delayed or scuttled, including Constellation Energy's Calvert Cliffs nuclear project in Maryland. The company signaled this week it was in peril because of higher-than-expected financing costs.
    The new natural gas discoveries, mostly beneath states in the East, South and Midwest, have kept prices remarkably low, even as demand has begun to come back since the end of the recession.

"We once thought we could face gas shortages and (electricity) brownouts. Now we are facing an enormous oversupply of natural gas," said Fadel Gheit, senior oil and gas analyst at Oppenheimer and Co. "We have not scratched the surface of potential of gas in the U.S. and across the world."
    A recent study by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on the future of natural gas found that 80 years' worth of global natural gas consumption could be developed profitably with a gas price of $4 or below.
    Plans for nuclear plants and wind farms were made under the assumption that gas prices would average $7 to $9. At that level, electricity prices would be high enough to make wind and nuclear power look affordable. Now many of these projects suddenly look too expensive.

Plans for three dozen new nuclear plants were drawn up in the middle of the last decade, and the nuclear industry hailed what it called a renaissance. Lawmakers, aiming to help stave off high electricity prices, authorized an $18.5 billion loan guarantee program to help the nuclear industry begin building new plants after two decades of inactivity.

Now almost all of those plans have been delayed or shelved. Even companies that are finalists for federal loan guarantees, NRG Energy and Constellation Energy, announced recently that they have nearly stopped spending on their projects.
  • drees
    Options
    zeuspaul wrote: »
    Perhaps the low gas prices will only be around for the next eighty years or so.
    At least a few people question the industry's claims.

Certainly when most of these shale wells have very rapid decline rates (with 1/3rd falling out of production after 4-6 years) you have to question the 80-years of gas claim:

http://www.aspousa.org/index.php/2010/07/interview-with-art-berman-part-1/
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i think it's safe to say it'll go up no matter what the excuse is. they have been crying shortages off and on now for many decades and we had more refineries with less gas consumed back then. nowadays, if this or that country sneezes they say it affects its "possible availability" and they raise the price. all it takes is a rumor as it is all speculation from speculators at this point really determining prices. a few years ago with katrina and the one that followed they claimed shortages due to rigs going down and yet these rigs have been going down all through the gulf drilling history. even today with the rigs blowing up and hurricanes still taking some out they aren't raising prices for those reasons, surprisingly.
    it will still one day be a case of we don't have the oil that is demanded and it will go up until it reduces usage to even things off. it will continue this trend for some time and it will force alternatives as the alternatives will become cheaper before we can run out. there will always be small needs for oil though and small needs can be met long into the future.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

This is another of the topics where even the experts in the know don't agree.

The pundits chattering on the tube are generally just doing so in order to listen to themselves.

Heating, cooling, surplus, shortage and on and on - been listening to this stuff all my life.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

1: Anybody who doesn't believe the energy prices in general are going to go up (on average) going forward is going to be surprised

2: Anybody who looks seriously at the economics and environmental impact of shale and tar sands oil will realize that it is a loser. The amount of BTUs required to get a BTU of oil from tar sands is between 1/3 and 1/2. (Not to mention the huge amount of CO2 emitted and the huge amount of water required, and the huge waste water and tailing pond systems, all of which are potential nightmares.

3. The idea of using natural gas, a clean burning, transportable fuel, that is relatively abundant to get oil from tar and shale is crazy.

4. Any one who is counting on continued growth in the domestic natural gas production due to fracking should consider the unintended water pollution side effects

5. If one is concerned to today about potential rising energy prices (or the environmental aspects of their energy choices) would do well to practice the best conservation methods one can incorporate, and look seriously at ones usage to see where one can cut. Following that, one should look at alternatives that at the very least have a predictable price curve going forward. For example, and off grid or even a grid tie system will produce a predictable amount of energy at a predictable price going forward. (grid pricing issues not withstanding).

6. Energy pricing shocks and mitigation strategy begins at home. The only real way that the individual can mitigate rising energy costs net/net is through personal choices of how to live, what to drive, how much energy to use. IMHO, we don't need to return to the cave to survive, but clearly we as a society waste a lot of energy net/net. (For reasons that I won't cross the political line to discuss)

Tony
  • bmet
    Options

I find it interesting that you have a BP solar panel. How much pollution was created in the making of it? How long is the payback for the natural resources that had to be consumed so that a person could enjoy
    'free' energy? :confused:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm curious as to why you would ask that. is it because the pv is bp? are you saying a bp pv will need more resources and create more pollution than others? i will say it does consume some energy to create and maybe some pollution too, but it is not as much as you might think and no more than most others imo. you might take another look at the things you have as not one of them can you say didn't take energy to create and/or transport, or create some pollution either directly or indirectly in its manufacture. pvs, even by bp, just happen to be one of the few items out there that give back rather than just take.
  • russ
    Options

@ Tony and Neil - Well put.

Whether it is a panel from XYZ or a panel from BP makes zero difference.
  • bmet
    Options

icarus obviously cares about the environment, but what is the cost of solar technology? I started this thread after hearing doom and gloom from BP, so I think it is interesting that they also market solar tech. What went into the R and D of solar? How green are products which are so inefficient? Are we contributing to the carbon footprint more than what the panels give back? Are we going to have a solar junkyard some day when it is discovered that the laminating involves some harmful ozone-eating adhesives?
  • russ
    Options

With any large company, be it BP or GE, different divisions may not really have any idea what the other is doing/saying/thinking.

The question of the carbon footprint for a panel - there are many studies I have seen on the net and the present day conclusion that I see is that the carbon footprint is quite small - think less than 2 years even.

Of course there is the potential to go live in a cave and - oops! There are not that many caves.

The only thing constant is change I believe someone has noted.

Don't worry too much and live the greenest life style that makes one comfortable I believe.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

In fact, my PV panels are Solarex panels, which have all been bought used. I believe, (but don't actually know) that Solarex was/is bought by BP somewhere along the way. My other panels carry the Siemens label, that also were once associated with ARCO solar, also bought used.

My panels are between 10-20 years old. I believe, as has been suggested that eh carbon footprint for PV is ~2 years. I don't think that there is any significant difference between BP panels, or other name brand panels in their carbon cost. What is probably a more relevant question is what is the life cycle carbon cost of any system, from cradle to grave?

I would guess that my Honda Eu generator is greater cradle to grave than the PV. My Lister diesel is probably also greater, but it has had a 50+ year life to amortize it's construction, but it throws out lots of exhaust when it runs at 5 kw.

How about your grid power plant, coal, natural gas, bio fuel?

PS. I might add that I have never considered my PV system "free energy"! On a per KWH basis, it is probably more expensive net/net than my honda Eu 1000. On the other hand the honda would not run 24/7 for 10 years without needing to be replaced.

Assuming that you are not a troll, and that you are really interested in the topic, I suggest that you do some further research before you spout off nonsense about life cycle/production/end of life costs for RE stuff. Until then, it is all BS!

Consider the lifecycle cost of a coal plant, from the mine and it's environmental impact, to the slag heaps, to the smoke stacks. I suspect that you will find that you get fairly cheap per kwh power out of the coal plant, but as recent events (mine disasters/tailings ponds failures/acid rain/carbon foot prints) have shown, coal aint cheap.

Tony

My reality is to use as little energy as possible, and use that wisely. That said, I don't live in a cave a paddle a canoe to hunt my food!. The answer is think about how/what where and to a great extent when you use energy.

I won't apologize for having BP branded panels any more than I would apologize for buying name brand gasoline. In understand the facts of multinational corporation economics. If I could buy a cottage industry, well made, reasonably well price PV system I would, but in my case, all my PV has fallen into my lap used so their carbon costs are already out there.

Tony
  • bmet
    Options

Troll?

I thought readers here might want to know what an industry insider had expressed within his professional community, but I see that some would rather believe what a newspaper, or a special interest group has to say on the matter. You can believe what you want, but I did not know that BP had any partnership in solar tech. SO when I saw that you used a BP-associated product, I merely thought it was interesting.

I don't want to see $5/gall gasoline again, but perhaps another coincidence is that the day after BP expressed its concerns, my local price for regular unleaded jumped 5 cents, and has been bumped up twice more since.

I'm new to solar, my family had recent circumstance with self-contained application. However, we started asking 'what if' , and I put my little junk together and came here with my ignorance showing. This site is an unbelievable resource, and the education is real.

As far as why I am concerned, there have been many products out there hailed as great, only to be outlawed due to harmful effects upon people and property. China has no problem selling products with Lead to the USA, so what if all these Chinese panels also contained cancer-causing chemicals? Do yo think they would even tell us if they did? Would that be worth an extra percent in efficiency?

I am also concerned about scams. Just like compact discs, green markers, and monster cable, someone probably has a new-and-improved solar panel that works better because it's been coated with UV blocking sunscreen (JOKE) You know what I mean.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    As far as why I am concerned, there have been many products out there hailed as great, only to be outlawed due to harmful effects upon people and property. China has no problem selling products with Lead to the USA, so what if all these Chinese panels also contained cancer-causing chemicals? Do yo think they would even tell us if they did? Would that be worth an extra percent in efficiency?

Some types of panels are already made from harmful substances notably Cadmium for CdTe panels. First Solar (a US company incidentally) makes some very popular thin film panels sold in Europe and based on CdTe: http://seekingalpha.com/article/55392-cadmium-telluride-casts-shadow-on-first-solar

AFAIK, this only becomes an issue when you have to dispose of the panels and since they're relatively new, this hasn't become a huge problem YET.
  • drees
    Options
    stephendv wrote: »
    AFAIK, this only becomes an issue when you have to dispose of the panels and since they're relatively new, this hasn't become a huge problem YET.
    It's not a problem as long as the end-user properly recycles them - First Solar has a recycling program that lets anyone who happens to have a First Solar panel send them in for recycling. The recycling program is funded from sales of new panels.

All reputable solar companies have similar programs.
  • russ
    Options

@bmet - better be careful of everything you eat, wear, use - - If you look hard enough you can find some kind of a supposed problem with anything.

Please note that I used the term 'supposed problem' because much of the green concern of today will be proved to be wrong in ten years and the real problem will be a different material that was overlooked.

The reason no one is excited about your overheard conversation of the BP exec is that it is nothing new. He may not have any more inside information than anyone else but was flapping his jaws to impress his audience.

Actually the only safe thing for anyone really ultra concerned about the environment/oil prices to do is to commit a crime and get free lodging for the remainder of their lives. Personally that option is not attractive.
  • bmet
    Options

****** already did that edited for political content. read the rules. niel
    russ wrote: »
    @bmet - better be careful of everything you eat, wear, use - - If you look hard enough you can find some kind of a supposed problem with anything.

Please note that I used the term 'supposed problem' because much of the green concern of today will be proved to be wrong in ten years and the real problem will be a different material that was overlooked.

The reason no one is excited about your overheard conversation of the BP exec is that it is nothing new. He may not have any more inside information than anyone else but was flapping his jaws to impress his audience.

Actually the only safe thing for anyone really ultra concerned about the environment/oil prices to do is to commit a crime and get free lodging for the remainder of their lives. Personally that option is not attractive.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

I am always interested to hear other points of views. Heaven only knows who is actually predicting an ever changing future.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrek
    Options
    bmet wrote: »
    I thought readers here might want to know what an industry insider had expressed within his professional community, but I see that some would rather believe what a newspaper, or a special interest group has to say on the matter. You can believe what you want, but I did not know that BP had any partnership in solar tech. SO when I saw that you used a BP-associated product, I merely thought it was interesting.

Interested, yes. But the facts presented don't match easily-verified alternative data sources so don't take it personally. Such as "closing 104 nuclear plants", when there are only 104 in the US to begin with and it was easy to verify that at least 90 of them will be in operation for decades more. Double-verified at the Department of Energy web site.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/operation/statoperation.html
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/nuclear_power.html
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/analysis/nuclearpower.html
  • bmet
    Options

It was a direct quote, so I can't imagine what the BP spokesman was thinking. Misleading the geologists charged with finding resources seems to be counter-productive.
    techntrek wrote: »
    Interested, yes. But the facts presented don't match easily-verified alternative data sources so don't take it personally. Such as "closing 104 nuclear plants", when there are only 104 in the US to begin with and it was easy to verify that at least 90 of them will be in operation for decades more. Double-verified at the Department of Energy web site.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/operation/statoperation.html
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/nuclear_power.html
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/analysis/nuclearpower.html