Need new water heater

Options
13»

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need new water heater

After years of knowing I need to flush out my hot water tank (and check the anode), as a result of this thread I finally got out the hose and flushed it out today. Got a little dark liquid, maybe some rust? Nothing else. Still need to check the anode. Guess I should do that sooner rather than later...
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    techntrek wrote: »
    After years of knowing I need to flush out my hot water tank (and check the anode), as a result of this thread I finally got out the hose and flushed it out today. Got a little dark liquid, maybe some rust?

You sure you cleaned out the water heater and not the coffee pot? :D
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So, here's pics of the 2 series water heaters (50 gal ea), and the magnets (With tye-wrap ) .
    The sit on top of my FAU (furnace) plenum return air duct, which also keeps them 18" above the garage floor.

Being outside the conditioned space, then did not need "drip pans" and each has it's own T&P valve plumbed outdoors to a copper pipe (can't use PVC for steam!)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    dwh wrote: »
    You sure you cleaned out the water heater and not the coffee pot? :D

LOL. Ok, some clarification is in order. I got some rust-colored liquid in the first few seconds, then lots of fresh water after. I used up all of the hot water first for productive uses so I wouldn't waste the energy when I flushed the tank.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

solarvic,
    although i am not leaning to the on demand heater could you pm me with the make and model with specs and warranty info on the gas model you have along with the price you'd have in mind just so i can say i looked over all of my options here?[/QUOTE] I tryed to PM you twice but I don,t think the messages got sent.

http://www.tanklesswaterheaters.com/takagitkd20.html Here is a website that has all the info you needed. I will discount the price a little over 30% as It isn,t on present list. Warranty covers original owner only and has to be installed by original instaler to be in effect anyway. I payed $829.00 would sell for $575.00 and $ 200.00 for some Fastnseal brand chimney pipe. Solarvic
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    the bw is a bit too much on the tall size, but that phoenix looks interesting. i was hoping to see a better warranty though. smallest size is 55 gallons and i really only need about 40 gallons.

Keep in mind that the water capacity isn't what you should be looking at for a stored hot water heater - you should be looking at the first hour rating. Estimate how many gallons of hot water you would normally use in an hour - then make sure you get a water heater that will supply at least that many in an hour.

You can use the rating on your current heater as a guide. With low-flow faucets/showerheads/washers these days, hot water demand is probably lower than expected unless you like to take baths.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    drees wrote: »

you should be looking at the first hour rating.

Estimate how many gallons of hot water you would normally use in an hour

hot water demand is probably lower than expected unless you like to take baths.

I went with 2 heaters in series, to get the benefit of 2 burners to heat the water. Filling a jacuzzi bathtub takes a lot of hot water, even with 100gal of heater, I had to fill in two stages, with a half hour in-between.

most heaters sold in California, to be green, have tiny burners that used to be on 30 gallon heaters
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,