off grid system

Hi I am building a big offgrid system and would like to check my figures this is what I have.
Loads average daily watt hrs 27101
Ac watts 14940
Like I said a big system so am I right with using
24 sun power 238 w panels with 3 trackers
48 v system with 18 8 volt 1156 cap 6in series 3 parallel

now here is where I need help I would like to use a sun power 6000m inverter with the sunny island charge controller How many? and also would like a 240 volt main box. ??? transformers??
Any help with this would be great. This is my first system.
Thanks again Rick

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: off grid system

You are right, that's big.

Questions - Loads, any of them 240V like water pumps or sewage pumps ? Air conditioners ?

Comments - 3 parallel battery banks ? Look at 2V cells, and see if you can get your capacity using 2 or 4 v cells, instead of parallel batteries.

Conserve. Conserve. Should be do-able for half the power you are consuming.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Along with Mike's suggestions there are ways to do big systems and ways not to!
    When does this have to be done?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I recently re-designed a large system for a friend of mine. I up graded his batteries, panels and charge controller. It was designed for a 20kwh daily consumption. This is his orginal basic set up

xw 6048, SCP, mppt CC
    400Ah Surrette rolls S530
    4# Sharp 198w

I upgraded him to the following:

30# 200w Evergreens
    2# xw-60 CC
    1200Ah @ 48V Surrette batteries

He now harvest up to 30kwh on a good day and goes into float between 12noon and 1 pm everyday. The system was completed end of last year and has not had any issues to date. He has electric oven, drier, washing machine, deep freeze, side-by-side fridge, two AC room in an aproximately 4500sf home that is not completely off-grid with the utility company supply running through the xw6048 and has the option of going back to grid by throwing the AT switch.

I must admit the battery bank is on the smallish side but he already had 8 of the Surrette S530 only 1 month old and I did not want to set up more than 3 parallel strings. He is no in the process of getting a larger (2000Ah I think) Absolyte IIP AGM bank.

All in all although the bank was not ideal it has served him well over nearly the past year. I had installed in the last two months a Victron battery monitor (BMV601) and it has shown that he has not strayed below 80% SOC.

I thinks his systems is performing well given its slightly lower than ideal battery bank size.

I thought this experience may help in this scenario

Cheers..
    Damani