Lightning arrestor

Batikikik
Batikikik Solar Expert Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is lightning arrestor necessary for solar system ???

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Lightning arrestor
    Batikikik wrote: »

If you're in an area where lightning strikes are common, yes.

Remember that lightning arrestors do not eliminate the possibility of damage from lightning; they just reduce the odds. Most damage if from "stray Voltage" which is around any area where lightning strikes. A direct hit will still obliterate anything.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

There aren't a lot of lightning strikes in The Valley...and they'll mostly be drawn to something higher up than a PV array on the roof of a tract house.
  • Batikikik

dwh sorry but I did not understand your las sentance
  • Batikikik

Function of Lightning arrestor is take the whole voltage and stop it inside , right?
  • Batikikik

Usually who cover ligntning damages after installation ??
    I know it depend contract , but usualay who does it?
  • dwh
    dwh sorry but I did not understand your las sentance

You said you were in Los Angeles? San Fernando Valley?

Me too.

You never see lighting strike here - always on the hill or sometimes a big tree.
  • dwh
    Function of Lightning arrestor is take the whole voltage and stop it inside , right?

No. The function is to divert the surge to ground.

You try to guide it - because you cannot stop it.
  • Cariboocoot
    Usually who cover ligntning damages after installation ??
    I know it depend contract , but usualay who does it?

It should be the responsibility of the home owner's insurance company, providing they have lightning protection and remembered to add the system to the policy. A good insurance company will want to see all the specs and permit approval on the install, as well as the cost. Then they'll add it under coverage.

And up the rates. :p
  • Batikikik

YES , homeowners insurance covers solar system damages without any additional fees that is right . They cannot refuse adding solar under policy right ?
  • Batikikik

But in case you have to install lightning arrestor right or wrong ????
    dwh looks like you are very knowledgable guy , ar you woking for solar company ?
  • dwh

GFCI is required, but I don't think lightning arrestors are required. Check the NEC, I don't have a copy handy.

dwh looks like you are very knowledgable guy , ar you woking for solar company ?

I was a journeyman with Sunset Electric in Los Angeles for 8 years. Did a LOT of work in Beverly Hills / Bel Air. I have another 4 years experience as well.

I switched to computer networks full-time in 1994.

For solar, I'm still learning.
  • Cariboocoot

That's what inspectors are for: if they okay the install, it's right. Or at least in the eyes of the insurance company it is.

As to whether or not a company must insure a solar install - I can't speak to that because I don't live in the same country, and this would be a matter of State law.

My experiences with insurance companies here in BC is that they have the right to collect premiums but are not required to cover anything they don't want to, even if it's actually listed in the policy. They have more ways of getting out of paying settlements than you could ever imagine. :grr
  • Batikikik

Thank you for good posts ...
    dwh are you looking a job now ?
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    YES , homeowners insurance covers solar system damages without any additional fees that is right . They cannot refuse adding solar under policy right ?

Yes they can and they can add specific wording to tell you that! In the big city they are more reasonable but in rural area's many just self-insure or can't get insurance because of wild fire danger. You should always be accurate with the broker or agent.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they can and they can add specific wording to tell you that! In the big city they are more reasonable but in rural area's many just self-insure or can't get insurance because of wild fire danger. You should always be accurate with the broker or agent.

I agree, your agent is your friend, I use an independent agent so I get the best service and can get a spread of rates vs companies. My large insurer was reluctant to cover the solar until we told them if not covered a move was in the works.
    In my case I had to have a declared the value and better have documentation as to the cost in case anything actually happens. My insurance company did raise my rates for the add of the solar PV & thermal via the cost basis of the install.

Also my building add on the property was slightly different, no replacement value there. I had to have a declared value that remains fixed over time, and now that I have been thinking about it I think the $65,000 I declared might be a bit low considering contents coverage.
  • dwh
    Thank you for good posts ...
    dwh are you looking a job now ?

I'm always looking for something interesting to do, but I'm not really looking for a job. I do part-time I.T. consulting and am working on a book.

I can't work as an electrician in California because I don't have the state certification card, and I'm not interested in getting it. I like to go forward to new things.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, you are adding an expensive, sensetive piece of gear to your house, and they can raise the cost of the insurance to cover the added risk.
    Calif propert tax cannot go up because of the value of solar.

If you properly protect the PV system, you may get a discount on the increase, but if you insure it, it will increase your policy. Or you can chose to not add it to your policy, and hope it does not burn your house down.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Batikikik

mike 90045 you are wrong
    Solar installation is one of the homeimprovements which is not increasing your property tax . It increases your value of the house but the same time property tax still the same .
    An homeowner insurance has to cover solar damages . Only thing you have to call them and let them know about that , they can not refuse you if they refuse you change your agency
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mike 90045 you are wrong
    Solar installation is one of the homeimprovements which is not increasing your property tax . It increases your value of the house but the same time property tax still the same .
    An homeowner insurance has to cover solar damages . Only thing you have to call them and let them know about that , they can not refuse you if they refuse you change your agency

Fine. read what I wrote any way you want. but don't blame the insurance company when you've added something to the house, even with city permits, and they decide it's not covered.

Personally, I think you need some real life experience as a solar apprentice. In my opinion, you got a ladder and some parts, and are trying to figure out how to glue it all together. I'm willing to help, till you tell me my experience is wrong.

--
    4.5KW gridtie
    3KW 48V off grid
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"It increases your value of the house but the same time property tax still the same ."

just a general fyi that that statement may be true for you, but for most of us it isn't true. any improvements i make including solar are taxable where i am.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    "It increases your value of the house but the same time property tax still the same ."

just a general fyi that that statement may be true for you, but for most of us it isn't true. any improvements i make including solar are taxable where i am.

Yeah we are lucky in AZ as the law prohibits a property value increase for tax purposes on any solar.
  • Batikikik

In California is the same ther is no additional property tax fro solar system
    mike90045 dont be mad that waht you wrote it was wrong solar system does not increase property tax of the house in california ... there is nothing bad if you dont know dontbe abset thats why forum is to learn anything from here ...:)

P.S I dont have ladder even . I use rope :D:D:D:D
  • dwh
    In California is the same ther is no additional property tax fro solar system
    mike90045 dont be mad that waht you wrote it was wrong solar system does not increase property tax of the house in california ... there is nothing bad if you dont know dontbe abset thats why forum is to learn anything from here ...:)

P.S I dont have ladder even . I use rope :D:D:D:D

You read it wrong. Mike said that solar does NOT increase property tax in CA.
  • Batikikik

yeah my fault , but still he is saying that homeowners insurance doesnot cover .
    I am telling that insurance has no choice to refuse . Because they have to include , if nor change your insurance agency
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Do you own a home?, have you ever filled a claim? Insurance only covers items that are listed on your ploicy that are not part of the structure and you must declare to the insurance company what additions you wish to have covered and pay a higher rate accordingly

http://www.finweb.com/insurance/homeowners-insurance-what-is-alterations-and-additions-coverage.html

An insurance company isn't going to "just include" something that could be easily 10-20% the value of the policy.

I'm with Mike, all your endless questions and statements would indicate you have little experience.

SG
  • Batikikik

Ok guys ...
    I have never touch in with it I knew it was like that insurance hast to cover yousolar panels . And I met examples that they cover . but if your telling me in general it is notnoti agree with you
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, leave the lightning arrestor joke for another time...
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• KeithWHare
    KeithWHare Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Long wires in the general area of a lightning strike can pick voltage spikes through induction. A direct hit is not necessary.

A Delta LA-302DC DC Lightning Arrestor (http://store.solar-electric.com/deldcphotsur.html) is $28.57.

How does this compare to the cost of your charge controller, not to mention time to identify failed components and get replacements?

Keith
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    mike 90045 you are wrong
    It (solar) increases your value of the house but the same time property tax still the same .

Maybe yes and maybe no - depends on the buyer, what they want and their level of understanding.

It is very likely that you will not get full value back and possibly zero back.

A home with a battery based system will be harder to unload than a grid tie system.

Most people don't want an extra headache they don't understand.

Trying to sell a home with a leased system on the roof will most likely be a real drag. I believe the leasing solution varies between just dumb and seriously stupid.
  • Cariboocoot

As an aside, we have a few clients who are real estate agents. I have asked each of them their opinions as to how solar installs affect property values. The consensus of opinion was that it is a wash on standard residential properties: half the potential customers will see it as an asset, the other half (out of fear and ignorance) will consider it a liability. With rural "vacation" homes (i.e. remote cabins with no chance of grid power) it is viewed almost always as a "given", and any such property without solar is considered "inadequate". This represents a predictable difference in mindset of various types of buyers.

It may come as a shock to you, but you can't actually arrest lightning. You'll never make the charges stick, and in the end you'll just get burned.

Okay, somebody had to make the bad joke! :p
    I'll go to my room now.