BZ Products MPPT500HV

keyturbocars
keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
Hello,

I was looking for a reasonably priced MPPT controller to go along with my 500W solar panel array and 48V battery bank, and I saw the BZ MPPT500HV.

http://www.bzproducts.net/id2.html

I searched the forums and found some negative comments, but no specifics. Can anyone enlighten me why this is a bad controller? Any links to discussions in the archives would be great too. I couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: BZ Products MPPT500HV

Our "Search" Menu does not like "short word" searches... You can use Google and type in "site:wind-sun.com" (without the "") and get better searches sometime in the wind-sun.com forum...
    • BZ site:wind-sun.com
    There are a lot of "BZ" threads here... BZ Controller includes a look at the unit by Solar Guppy--a design engineer that specializes in solar products (charge controllers, inverters, etc.).
    I'll be more direct, having just done some competitive data analysis with a new in box BZ 500. ( also phil's older unit )

Don't buy one,
    If you know of someone thinking of getting one, tell them not to buy one.

The Mppt doesn't work, its a total mess. The array voltage is in a ~second random movement/ramp from -2 to -13 volts from the true vmp. The testbed in this case had a verified vmp of 38 volts, the bz was going from 25V to 36V non-stop .. averaged with a yokogawa about 12% off true vmp.

The unit has no heat sink and could never ever support 45amps.

Its has other design issues as well, clearly produced by someone that lacks basic power supply design skills.

I know I've written this in the other thread, but its so bad, I feel it warrants posting the info here. If anyone thinks it works OK, they aren't doing any meaningful measurement to quantify that thought and are doing a dis-service to recommend the unit to anyone.

This is now several year old information--Are the current controllers the same construction or not--I don't know.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • keyturbocars

Thanks again Bill. I better look into better MPPT controllers!
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again Bill. I better look into better MPPT controllers!

Please.

My Xantrex C-60 performed better than the BZ's that I tried. It was an expensive lesson for me and preventing anyone else from making the same mistake lessens the pain.

Phil
  • keyturbocars

Thanks Phil. I'm going to avoid the BZ Products.

I'm leaning towards a Morningstar TS-MPPT-45 right now. Seems like the most cost effective MPPT controller that would work for my setup. I like the Rogue too, but it's only for 12/24V and my battery bank is 48V.

Ed
  • kenputer
    kenputer Solar Expert Posts: 27

The Rogue 3024 is a fine working unit and good price, today my 180 watt 24 volt panel was showing 246 watts on the rougue.
  • keyturbocars

I would have bought a Rogue, but my existing battery bank is 48V and everything is set up for that, so I needed an MPPT controller that could handle 48V. Rogue can only handle 12V or 24V battery banks. Ended up ordering a Morningstar TS-MPPT-45.

Ed