Question about 24 volt Kyocera high wattage panels

Options
Tom Cleary
Tom Cleary Solar Expert Posts: 37
Hello:

I have a question regarding the 24 volt Kyocera high wattage panels, the 185 W, 205 W, and 210 W panels. Checking the specs I couldn't help but notice that the maximum amperages for each panel are quite close.

I don't mind spending more to get larger wattage panels, but I'm wondering if there's much benefit to buying the larger wattage panels if the maximum amperage is so similar. By the way I plan to use the following: a high wattage kyocera panel, two battery bank, a rogue charge controller. The idea is to power a laptop, a few LED lights, and a swampy evaporative cooler.

Also, what was the reason for producing three panels with such similar wattage? Just wondering if I'm missing something in the product descriptions. Thank you very much.

Tom

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question about 24 volt Kyocera high wattage panels

They are grading batching of cells. Polycrystaline cell processing has fairly wide performance variation on manufacturing so they are graded and matched panel performance tiering.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question about 24 volt Kyocera high wattage panels

At that Vmp (35 Volts or so) there's less than 1 Amp difference between the three Wattage ratings anyway.

Like RCinFLA said; it's cell grading. Some come out a tad better than others.