If the Auto Industry can...Can we do the same?

BilljustBill
BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
Here is an article about Ford's twist of getting longer life out of their coming hybrid battery packs by liquid cooling. I've read that the Toyota Prius has a 90 volt air cooled battery pack that has an eight year unprorated warranty....Anytime it goes out during the eight years, it is replaced at no charge...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/04/2012-ford-focus-ev-to-use-liquid-cooled-lithium-polymer-battery/

If the auto industry is using cooling and heating to extend the life and performance of their batteries, what ways are you using with your battery banks?
Bill

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: If the Auto Industry can...Can we do the same?

Electric autos are using very high discharge and charge rates that heats up batteries.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    Electric autos are using very high discharge and charge rates that heats up batteries.
    Right, but high and low ambient temps are an issue in many areas of the country. I wonder if you could devise an easy way to moderate battery temps using the earth - kind of a geothermal type cooling/heating system. I don't know enough about optimum battery temps for lead acids, though and figuring out how to move the heat without much energy (would likely have to be passive) will be a bit tricky.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Roughly, the "typical" lead acid battery specs are round 77F --- Hotter batteries will have "more capacity" but shorter life... Colder batteries will have less capacity and longer life (typically use: for every 10C, the life of the battery will be 1/2--and for every 10C cooler the battery is, it will last 2x longer, 20C colder, 2*2=4x longer, etc.).

For long term life--I would be very worried if a battery was much over 100F for any length of time...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

The use of batteries for solar typically doesn't have the huge charging cycles that heat up batteries.

The simple solution is a berm shelter for the batteries, using the naturally mitigated temperatures of the earth, figure a thickness near the frost level for northern areas, perhaps 24 inches thickness for southern climates, should reduce super high tempuratures, 4' would likely keep you near 80 degree max (a guess)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.