Questions about Xantrex XW system

stephendv
stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
Well the day when I'll finally buy the off-grid kit is getting closer and I'm currently comparing some 4kW-5kW inverters. The XW 4548 looks interesting, but I'm still not clear on somethings:

- It doesn't appear to have a battery monitor option as part of the XW system, how does it determine SoC? Will I have to buy a third party battery monitor?

- Can I configure _all_ of the settings using a computer attached to the system instead of the Remote Control Panel?

- The built in relay appears to be able to start a generator based on battery voltage, but it doesn't appear to be able to start the gen based on the load - how do I get it to do that? (preferably without buying the additional generator module)

- Is there a library or documentation available that'll let me write my own software to read data from the Xanbus?

thanks

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Questions about Xantrex XW system

There is not a integrated energy meter for this system. People use the Xantrex or Bogart systems that are not part of the XW xanbus. It is a flaw! Personally, I do not use energy meters offgrid or for my clients. All the data is logged on the charge controller. You just have to understand what it is telling you!

You need the system control panel and it is a value. It has a fuel gage+voltmeter and inverter output current/ CC input current + all settings. Although you could also use the X gateway (wireless) you would need at least one SCP.

Others can answer your questions on software and generators. I try and stay away from both of those tasks! One of the nice things about your location is you can too!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

"- It doesn't appear to have a battery monitor option as part of the XW system, how does it determine SoC? Will I have to buy a third party battery monitor?"

It's a good idea to add a battery monitor.

"- Can I configure _all_ of the settings using a computer attached to the system instead of the Remote Control Panel?"

As far as I know, not without a special expensive cable.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Thanks guys. It seems a bit weird that it doesn't have a SoC meter, because in theory it should already have all the data it needs to calculate the SoC. If the XW MPPT is used for solar, and the XW charger and inverter used for all the loads, then it already knows how much current is being used and pushed back into the battery... it also knows the battery capacity and temperature, that's all it needs to crunch the numbers and determine SoC.

Maybe I'm overly concerned about nothing... does one really need to know the SoC ? or is temperature compensated voltage + monthly SG readings enough?

EDIT: BTW, Xantrex don't seem to make a battery monitor for 48V banks.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    Thanks guys. It seems a bit weird that it doesn't have a SoC meter, because in theory it should already have all the data it needs to calculate the SoC. If the XW MPPT is used for solar, and the XW charger and inverter used for all the loads, then it already knows how much current is being used and pushed back into the battery... it also knows the battery capacity and temperature, that's all it needs to crunch the numbers and determine SoC.

Maybe I'm overly concerned about nothing... does one really need to know the SoC ? or is temperature compensated voltage + monthly SG readings enough?

EDIT: BTW, Xantrex don't seem to make a battery monitor for 48V banks.

No, to determine state of charge you need a shunt, a specific gravity measurement, or a voltage guestimate. I think you are a smart guy and while monthly checks of SG are good, after you come up to speed, a seasonal check of a pilot cell is really all you need. Many make this complicated! TheCC will only tell you that you are full. It will not reveal the shades of grey as you discharge!

You do not need the special "config tool" except to change firmware! For Offgrid there have not been any firmware changes that will be needed! All settings can be done with the gateway or a $250 SCP or third party software! Also the basic settings menu and defaults are on the XW inverter charger. You need an SCP for advanced tweeks! Yes X does make a 48V monitor for their system but it does not interface with the XW system!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net