How do you know which type of battery you have: Gel, Flooded, Sealed?

solartechtown.com
solartechtown.com Solar Expert Posts: 29
As some of you know, I just purchased the Morningstar ProStar 30 solar charge controller, and it has configuration settings that allow you to tell it your battery type so it knows how to charge it I suppose.

My problem is, I do not know what my battery type is, and I'm currently at work so I can't see if it shows it on the label (I doubt it).
I'll admit, I haven't searched around Google much yet which would probably allow me to figure it out, but I thought I'd just start here first. :D

I bought my battery from auto zone: My Battery

I know it's not a full "deep cycle" battery, but instead of letting it go to waste, I figured I'd use it until it dies. :grr

Comments

• mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Re: How do you know which type of battery you have: Gel, Flooded, Sealed?
    I know it's not a full "deep cycle" battery, but instead of letting it go to waste, I figured I'd use it until it dies.
    Looking at the triple vent caps at the top I would guess FLA and would use that setting. If you can remove the vent caps and see the acid mix, then definitely FLA.
  • solartechtown.com
    mikeo wrote: »
    Looking at the triple vent caps at the top I would guess FLA and would use that setting. If you can remove the vent caps and see the acid mix, then definitely FLA.

Hmm okay, I'll give that a shot. For some reason "acid mix" sounds extremely dangerous lol. Are there any type of special gloves I should wear, or will regular electric resistance gloves do? :roll: :D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

If you can remove the caps and see "water" (actually acid) then you have a FLA . More than likely that is what it is. Be careful around FLA batteries (any battery for that matter!) Errant sparks while charging can trigger a hydrogen explosion, as can accidental shorts between positive and negative posts.

Acid will burn through your clothes if you spill some on them, and it can blind you if you get it in your eyes. Wear safety glasses!

http://www.batteryfaq.org/
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

For all you need to know about batteries,

Tony
  • solartechtown.com

What exactly does FLA stand for as I can't seem to find an answer with Google nor with the Battery links you provided?

On my controller, it only has the options for: Gel, Flooded, or Sealed

My guess is FLA = Flooded?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Flooded cell Lead Acid battery (pop the cap and add distilled water when needed).

AGM's, Gel, and other sealed batteries are very sensitive to over charging (high charging voltages) and never should be subjected to a the same equalization voltages/currents/times that a flooded cell battery can withstand without issue.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dmiller
    dmiller Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

What's the deal with the handle solartechtown.com? Is it like passive solar, but now you want a little light at night? :)
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What exactly does FLA stand for as I can't seem to find an answer with Google nor with the Battery links you provided?

Flooded Lead Acid is the shorthand
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,