PG&E Grid-tie info

SkiDoo55
SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
Some interesting info from PG&E Solar.
I finally recieved my Permission to operate for Grid-tied system. Took about 30 days from time the recieved application on a simple installation, all listed components. Trina 230W panels (2 strings of 10, 4600W nameplate ), Zantrex GT3.8 240VAC. Fixed arrays, 9 inch off of roof, good air cicrulation, in Northern Calif.

There info is that PG&E has at this time over 40,000 interconnections in service area and this represents almost 50% of residential connections across the nation??

For period in July (testing) generating approx 28KWH per day, PV-Watts prediction was 24.5/day on average.

Now the real numbers can be collected as I had many days testing that systems was shut off as not to run the old meter too far backwards during the 100° F days that we were having and running A/C. Collecting data with TED 5000 system. May need to calibrate MTU on main panel. MTU on Inverter appears to be within 0.1 KWH of what is reported by inverter display per day

Have been following this site since 2008 and gained lots of insight of what to do for system installation. Both inspections were anti-climatic as what I was prepared for, building dept and PG&E inspections, never even opened any panel junction or c/b box.

Great to be On-line Legal
GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: PG&E Grid-tie info

Congrats on being up and running.

Really surprised at the inspectors, the ones here opened everything and it was a good thing in my book, unattached ground wiring was found.
    My installer was whining a bit until that was found then he turned red as a beet! :)
  • SkiDoo55

I was really surprised at the lack of inspection, I knew it was all or exceeded code as I am the installer. Building inspector only question on insp was if I had a bonding ground to the gas line, which I did. PG&E looked in main panel to make sure I had a label on the C/B. Took him longer to swap out the new digital Net-meter than anything else. Then he hung around to see that the system would show power flowing back to the grid. Fun watching meter go bank-n-forth across "00000" Produced 27.6KWH yesterday equal about 6 hrs. of name plate 4600w. Test will be the next week we are going back up to the 105° F range for the week. I lost about 1 KWH off of production due to heat last time temps were in that area. Sure like seeing your numbers. Are you planning on adding more to your 12KW array?
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • solar_dave
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    I was really surprised at the lack of inspection, I knew it was all or exceeded code as I am the installer. Building inspector only question on insp was if I had a bonding ground to the gas line, which I did. PG&E looked in main panel to make sure I had a label on the C/B. Took him longer to swap out the new digital Net-meter than anything else. Then he hung around to see that the system would show power flowing back to the grid. Fun watching meter go bank-n-forth across "00000" Produced 27.6KWH yesterday equal about 6 hrs. of name plate 4600w. Test will be the next week we are going back up to the 105° F range for the week. I lost about 1 KWH off of production due to heat last time temps were in that area. Sure like seeing your numbers. Are you planning on adding more to your 12KW array?

Check the history page on that link, I am getting on MTU 2 (solar) ~65 kWh a day @ 109 F air temps midday. I saw it approach 75 kWh days in May when the temps were better.

Had some cloudy days and production was down to ~30kWh last week for a couple days.

Thanks goodness for the 3000 kWh hours banked with the utility, our consumption can be as high as 122 kWh.

The 24 hour 1 minute graphs are interesting as well.
  • SkiDoo55

I watch your TED alot, have a bookmark for it. Will be interesting to see what your have banked by end of winter. Know what that area is like have spent many summers there in Coolidge with air-tankers and in Tucson geting aircraft out of DM. Last batch was 12 ea P-3's for Brazil
    Your addition looks Great! from the pictures you have posted. Office or Get-a-way?
  • solar_dave
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    I watch your TED alot, have a bookmark for it. Will be interesting to see what your have banked by end of winter. Know what that area is like have spent many summers there in Coolidge with air-tankers and in Tucson geting aircraft out of DM. Last batch was 12 ea P-3's for Brazil
    Your addition looks Great! from the pictures you have posted. Office or Get-a-way?

office/workshop/motorcycle maintainence

I just bought a 3 zone fredrick mini split AC for it so we shall see how it goes.
  • SkiDoo55

Wish I had room to build something like that. A single car garage doesn't hack it.

Have been looking at getting one of those for masterbedroom and south-west corner bedroom. Just need a little boost from central a/c especially for sleeping. My brother put one in his house in Sonoma at my suggestion and really likes it.