XW6048 sell with two inverters

Options
Brent
Brent Solar Expert Posts: 64 ✭✭✭✭
Hello,

My PV system has 5500 DC watts and uses two XW6048 & two Xantrex charge controllers. I have noticed that sometimes after reverting back to the AC line [passthru] after running on batteries for awhile that both inverters are trying to sell to the grid where normally only one tries to sell. If I power down the inverters and re-start then only the one will sell. Not a big deal but I hate to waste power in running the second inverter if I don't have to.

I have also noticed that at lower sell levels [1-2kw] that the selling inverter output seems to cycle from about 2000 watts to 1500 then back to 2000 over a 5 minute period.

Don't know if this is normal or not. Other than that the system performs great.

Everything has latest firmware as of this date.

Thanks,

Brent

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: XW6048 sell with two inverters

Why do you have sell enabled on both XW's? 5500 watts PV is only about 4500 watts AC in typical conditions.

I would suggest you only have one of the two enabled for selling and on the hunting, that's best addressed with the sell voltage just being above your battery's full charge voltage, typically 52V
  • Brent
    Options

Thanks, good point. I have both inverters in sell only because the first inverter config is copied to the second. I will try what you suggest. The grid support voltage is set to 60V and sell relies on the float charge setting only.

Brent
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure if XW acts the same way as SW did but after running on batteries and grid shows up the charger goes through charge to absorb level. When absorb level in done and charger drops to float voltage the inverter will suck current off batteries for a short period to bring the higher, just completed absorb voltage of freshly charged batteries down to lower float level.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Brent wrote: »
    Thanks, good point. I have both inverters in sell only because the first inverter config is copied to the second. I will try what you suggest. The grid support voltage is set to 60V and sell relies on the float charge setting only.

Brent

60 volts is 2 volts over bulk, that's never going to work well, thats your problem, lower you sell voltage, start with 54V if you have a large battery bank ( 1000 ah since have dual XW-6048's? ) I run Mine at 52V with 660ah and it runs well.
  • Brent
    Options

Thanks for the tips.

Brent