OK, this is wierd

Options
PhilS
PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I posted to Dave's mini-split thread on July 13th (post 159 here http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?p=61121#post61121 ). Dave posted the next day but I didn't get any notification of it.

Today I got an email notification that this was posted in the thread, tho when I click on the link I don't see it.

Copied and pasted from the email:

"OK so it is time to buy my mini split for my new shop/home office building. Here are the conditions:

3 rooms to cool separately, the small one will be occupied daily as a work from home office with some heat load from a couple computers. The other 2 are a work shop and plus size garage bay and I just want to control run away temps in those most of the time with occasional reasonable working temps. The Location is PHX and the building will be 2X6 construction with spray foam insulation and 2 inch foil faced radiant barrier iso-cyanate foam panels attached over the sheathing.

room 1 ~120 sq ft. 2 windows, 1 exterior door.
room 2 ~240 sq ft 1 window, 1 exterior door.
room 3 ~350 sq ft with insulated 7X10 north facing garage door.

Here is what I propose

1 - CM3172 ground unit 30,600 unit.
1 - KMS0772 wall unit 7,000 BTU
1 - KMS1272 wall unit 11,900 BTU
1 - KMS1872 wall unit 17,500 BTU

Is this overkill ???"

Is my computer playing mind-games with me or is there some kind of virus/worm imbedded at W-S's forum?

Phil

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: OK, this is wierd

It's 'cause Bill split the thread off.
    But you figured that out already, right? :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm not so sure coot as i received a late spam notification. i didn't think to save it though as it had already been addressed days ago.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    i'm not so sure coot as i received a late spam notification. i didn't think to save it though as it had already been addressed days ago.

Now that is weird.

It just made sense that the thread-splitting could cause synchronization problems between notifications and postings.

Probably aliens. Always blame aliens. :p
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hrmmm. Interesting.

When I check the news RSS feed, I commonly use the option to "mark this forum read". I've done it a hundred times at least. The other day when I did it - it didn't work. Nothing happened. I did it several times and nothing. I even closed that tab in Mozilla and opened a new one and went back into the forum and tried it again and it didn't work.

Mozilla had just updated that day, and I figured it might be related to that, but later I tried it again and it worked.

Odd behavior, which involves PHP, Apache (I presume - I haven't checked) and MySQL (another assumption). The delayed notification that Phil received also involved whatever SMTPd is running on the server (likely sendmail or postfix).

My first guess would be a bug rather than an exploit, though vBulletin did have a recent serious security issue that allowed hackers to gain access to the admin account. As I understood it however, that bug only affected the latest version of vBulletin, which is a newer version than what is running here.

If it's a bug, it could be a real pain to track down. Then again, it might just be that the database in MySQL could use some maintenance.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

No, Coot, I hadn't already noticed that it'd been split off into another thread.

But the other posts leave me still confused (not THAT big of a deal since I spend a large part of my time that way.)

And then when I viewed "forum news and announcements" this thread was at the bottom of the page instead of the top (but still the only one in bold). Maybe that's a setting but I don't have time to play with it this morning.

Phil