Wireless Inverter Control Remote

Options
GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
For a couple days now I've been trying to set up my Inverter for remote control, however, the remote box cord is only 18" long and works when it wants to. I've tried extending the data cable about 30' with not much luck. The voltage through the cable drops significantly enough to confuse the inverter and shut it down. Also I've tried to extend only the antenna wire 30' instead of cable to get it to respond. No luck.

I get tired of going out to the barn to manually switch on/off during the day/night. I have the system set up with a manual transfer switch in my basement. Is there any other way to switch the system on/off without digging a trench for another line or can I set up a different remote switch control somewhere else ?

If I leave the inverters on all night, the batteries draw down to 12.4v and if left off, they stay at about 12.8- 12.9 and operate much better the next day as a result of shutting the inverters off. Any suggestions ?
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Wireless Inverter Control Remote

What Brand/Model of inverter?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

http://www.topsalesdepot.com/bwapusiwapoi1.html

Not sure. Says, "Made by Coleman".
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • BB.
    Options

The Antenna length needs to be 1/4 wave -- a really long antenna won't help. In the olden days--garage door openers (the transmitters) had a tunable iron ferrite core and many times you could get longer range out of them by manually tuning them (they were not accurately tuned from the factory).

Otherwise--no better ideas than putting in a remote controlled DC relay (not a great fix either). Have you called the inverter support folks (if there are any)? Perhaps the receiver has some problem...

Next time you dig a trench, add a 2-4 inch plastic pipe of some sort to allow you to pull misc. runs like this.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

I've not contacted them. I have two of these inverters and the other receiver has issues too. Common garbage remotes.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options

So what kind of remote control is it? All it says on that link is that it is "Transmitter and Recevier" I]sic[/I.

If the remote is infrared there are tons of range extenders out there that convert IR to RF and then back again at the other end. Even if it's an RF remote, there are extenders for those too.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

Not sure if it's an RF remote. They need to be in working order, which two of them don't work. Bad design if you ask me. I need some kind of auto disconnect switch that'll just cut power from the + side to the inverter. Anything like that out there ?
  • dwh
    Options

LVD?

http://www.surepower.com/online_catalog/index.html

Page 24-25.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

Don't need a LVD. What I need is a remote controlled switch on the Positive side of the battery bank line between the disconnect and inverter.
  • dwh
    Options
    Don't need a LVD. What I need is a remote controlled switch on the Positive side of the battery bank line between the disconnect and inverter.

Ahh. Must have been when you said "auto disconnect switch" that threw me off.

Well, if you've got some pairs of wire, you can always just rig a relay and use a little switch to control a big switch.
  • RWB
    RWB Solar Expert Posts: 168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Saw this at Fry's the other day and the remote is small and looks very nice. You could use it to open and close a circuit. Shouldn't have any problem controlling the inverter on/off switch if it can work at the distance you are needing.

2010-07-18_11-48-29_445.jpg

2010-07-18_11-49-04_390.jpg
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

The remote is for a computer with max 6 amps. What I need is something for 100 amps and 2/0 cable.
  • BB.
    Options

Also, you need the remote to operate from, and switch, 12 volts DC...

Something like this (6 amps, 12 vdc, 300 foot range?) powering a big-old relay.

-Bill
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

So the relay is to control the battery switch automatically from a range. Question is, what's the total range of the relay ?
  • BB.
    Options

I don't know whether to believe them or not--but they said 300' range for the wireless relay. From the link a customer comment:
    A customer from Asheville, NC
    Better than I expected
    I have used this remote for three months around my farm. I use it in conjunction with auto power window motors to control stock gates, chicken house door and lights. The range is at least 300 feet free air and through two walls. I have ordered and received another of these units for a neighbor and the frequencies are different. So I will get another for myself. I don't know how many frequencies sets there are, but there is a code on each box. The unit has been consistent and reliable.
    I have no idea if this is a good/bad unit--It was just the first hit in a Google search for "12 vdc remote control".

There are lots more out there... Regarding the Big-Ol' Relay. The standard version probably can take upwards of 1 amp for the coil. I did not look through the BlueSea relays in detail--but it appears that some of them are Latching types so that you will not be wasting as much power to "hold them on".

For example:
    Power Consumption - inrush max, 130ms
    • 3.80 Amperes
    Power Consumption - Holding
    • 12 Volts -0.13 Amperes
    • 24 Volts - 0.07 Amperes
    This other model (PDF Download flyer) requires no current to hold ON or OFF, just energy to change state... However, it looks like it needs both a Normally Open and a Normally Closed contact (one leg powers the "ON" function and the other leg powers the "OFF" function). You could get a small signal DPST relay to provide the translation if needed (at the cost of slightly more power wasted).

For "off the wall" solar stuff--I keep looking to boat suppliers (Like BlueSea) for those accessories.

-Bill
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

Doesn't the remote need a RF transmitter instead of a manual switch. Trying not to confuse myself here.

So: The remote is to connect an in/out single line (wire) and the RF transmitter is for using its magnetic lock to switch on/off via remote control ?

Do they sell both in one package, I wonder ?
  • BB.
    Options

Here is another company that offers bi-directional switches that may work fine for the BlueSea latching relay (and 500-900 foot range). The receiver itself can handle 80 amps directly. They have smaller units with a key fob--but that range is shorter (and the relay is lower current).

There appear to be quite a few options out there.
    Doesn't the remote need a RF transmitter instead of a manual switch. Trying not to confuse myself here.

I am not sure what you are asking here... There is an RF Transmitter and an integrated RF Receiver/Relay Module. You then need a second High Current Relay (like from BlueSea) to interrupt your heavy current flow.
    So: The remote is to connect an in/out single line (wire) and the RF transmitter is for using its magnetic lock to switch on/off via remote control ?

Maybe I am misunderstanding your requirements?

I thought you wanted a simple one or two button RF transmitter in your home that could turn on and off 100 amps of DC back in the barn using an RF Receiver/Relay between the battery bank and Inverter.

Do you want to control the RF Transmitter electrically/remotely itself?

The Latching vs Non-Latching 100+ amp relay is to save the 1-6 watts or so that non-latching high current relays typically consume when energized.

The latching relay only consumes power when turning on or off. But requires a bit more complex circuit to drive its two controller wires instead of the one for a non-latching relay.

-Bill
  • GreenPowerManiac
    Options

All I want to do is have a remote controlled on/off switch to the inverter. So when I hit the transfer switch back to the grid, I can turn off the inverter for overnight.

"Do you want to control the RF Transmitter electrically/remotely itself?"

Yes

And I like the Latching idea better of course...