Xantrex XW Grid Support/Load Sharing Settings

Options
wtwoods_az
wtwoods_az Registered Users Posts: 18
Hello All: I would like to see if I can get some feedback on settings for Grid Support Voltage, Load Shaving Settings and how they interact with other settings on the XW Inverter, for example Low Battery Cutout V and Float V. I have played with the various settings and I think all I did was generate more questions. Here's the kind of feedback I am hoping for:

1. If you use the XW Inverter or are an installer, where do you set these and why?
2. I believe that the BTS affects what voltage is actually compared. Is this correct?
3. My particular setup is to use the XW as a time-of-use load shifter (I drive my loads from solar/battery during the day and use a bit of battery power but mostly the grid at night when the power is incredibly cheap. I do not sell to grid). Anyone else in this camp? What settings do you use?

Here is where I operate now:
1. Grid Support V = 52.
2. Grid Support = Enable
3. Load Sharing = Enable
4. Load Sharing Window = 1800-600
5. Load Sharing Amps = 8.0
6. Low Battery Cutout = 48
7. 2 XW SC's set to 3-stage charging

Thanks, Bill in AZ

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex XW Grid Support/Load Sharing Settings

You low battery cut out is unusually high ... 44V is the default Xantrex ships with

Large loads switching on with a wimpy battery bank can send the inverter into a fault mode with such a high LBO setting
  • wtwoods_az
    wtwoods_az Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options

Hi Guppy, I was hoping you'd reply. I know that you worked on the original design for the XW and I have read many of your other posts with interest. You seem to have a unique insight into the XW series. Your home site is full of good posts.

I set my LBCO at 48 mostly for testing purposes - this is the 1st full summer I have gone thru in AZ and I wanted to keep the amount of lifetime removed from my battery bank to a minimum while I learned what the system can and can't do. I will probably lower it when I get to that point, but for now, I don't have any issues. I have a 450 AHr bank, not huge I know, but so far is Ok. (love to have a bigger one maybe down the road. I don't have any high draw or inrush loads on the inverter - I have 2 mini-split soft-start A/C units, lights, TV's, refrigerators and ceiling fans.

Would you please comment on the Grid Support and Load Sharing settings and how they interrelate? I would really appreciate learning from an expert....

Thanks, Bill in AZ
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

Your sell voltage is good, I have never used load shaving and the idea of load deferment using battery's usually doesn't payoff when the cost of battery's is taken into consideration ...