Bulk Setting on XW

Options
John XW NY
John XW NY Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
Ok Guys ,

What should I set Bulk charge to on my XW? im Floating ant 26.3 and Absorbing at 28.8..

Should I stay with 3stage or go to 2 stage charging. I tired using the 2 stage and it didn't work when i did, any ideas why.

Thanks 4 your help every1.. Jah Gude JD

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Bulk Setting on XW

that is one of the strange things i've found concerning the xw cc as there isn't any such thing as a bulk voltage setting. go ahead and make it the same as the absorb settings.
    i don't know why 2 stage didn't work for you. make sure you followed directions.
    hmmm. upon reading another posting of yours i gather it may be from downloading the wrong software for the xw.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the terminology is bulk is 1st stage constant current mode, absorb is holding at higher voltage limit of 7.15 vdc until current drops to some set % of bulk current, finally float stage 3 is drop back to 6.6 vdc per battery (3 cell, 6v battery).

A two stage charging just shuts off charging after absorb completion.

Bulk should be set to about 12-15% A-H if you can make that much.

For 12 s530's (three series strings in parallel), the total battery AH is 3 x 400 AH or 1200 AH total times about 13% would be 140 to 150 amps of bulk charge current.

That would be close to limit of XW4024 inverter, and probably can not quite make that high a level.

If you are charging with a generator and want to avoid long run time you can go to 20-25% of A-H to recharge quicker. (but this is beyond XW4024 capability)
  • John XW NY
    John XW NY Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

NEIL , your kidding me right? I told you that i replaced the control board when I had the mishap with the XW Tool so everything is 100% back to factory specs and is fully operational. I "sense" some sarcasm instead of just answering my question like i asked. You must be one of these solar snobs that i see here and there.LoL

The only reason I told you guys about my mishap with the Xw Tool is so that others do not make the same mistake although it is not the end of the world and Xantrex is good at stepping up and repairing. Actually I repaired it and they told me how to do it.

Ok Jah Bless..... JD
  • niel
    Options

slow down john as that isn't about you or your unfortunate mistake.
    i'm a solar snob? really?:confused: i've been called a lot of things in my life, but a snob?:confused: you're too funny.:p

no, i was referring to what the xw actually lists in its manual that was recently discussed about the bulk voltage setting. can't seem to locate that thread at this time, but no matter. i said it then that there is no such thing as a bulk voltage setting. when the voltage reaches a certain point it is in absorb as bulk is wide open until the absorb voltage is hit.

anybody got some spf 60 for my nose as it is catching too many rays up there?:p
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    slow down john as that isn't about you or your unfortunate mistake.
    i'm a solar snob? really?:confused: i've been called a lot of things in my life, but a snob?:confused: you're too funny.:p

no, i was referring to what the xw actually lists in its manual that was recently discussed about the bulk voltage setting. can't seem to locate that thread at this time, but no matter. i said it then that there is no such thing as a bulk voltage setting. when the voltage reaches a certain point it is in absorb as bulk is wide open until the absorb voltage is hit.

anybody got some spf 60 for my nose as it is catching too many rays up there?:p

I don't think we can buy that high of spf in California anymore. Not sure but I am guessing that this is about there being a bulk and separate absorb setting on the xwcc. In the xw firmware upgrade thread of the offgrid section on this site is a description of the upgrade. The two separate voltages allow one to do a mini eq every day by setting the bulk voltage higher. The CC keeps the voltage at this point for one hour and then goes to the absorb setting for whatever time you program. Xantrex/Schneider calls this Boost! It can help in certain situations but unless you know what you are doing you should set them the same. I'll repeat that for others, set them the same. BTW did I say set them the same!

To John, Thank-you for posting your experience with the config tool. It is the one reason I am glad that xantrex chose not to make it too easy to upgrade. It is one thing for M-star and someday ??? Magnum to boast of easy upgrades but they are not doing that with an Inverter/charger. In an offgrid situation you need to know what you are doing and have the training to know how to deal with a problem. Candles and spoiled food always are poor options!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• niel
    Options

"I don't think we can buy that high of spf in California anymore."

well, whatever you are using then please hand some down to me.:p

ok, so it's the mini eq, but it's still strange to me.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options

Of coarse it might be strange to you because you do not do installation all the time. Reading, writing, and doing are very different skillsets. If one relied on the internet only from a company that chooses to not support that 100% your milege will vary. X is what it is, they do support their own in most cases but not always thru the internet. I do believe XW means Xantrex Wins but always hope that someone else will build the next great thing. How about an inv/chg with intelligence? I heard that rumor first 15 years ago...

No SPF on hand, too hot, only the panels are out there today!

• niel
    Options

agree.

i think the classic may have some brains to it and it will be able to talk although i don't believe it will have a complete pc in it. maybe boB or halfcrazy can elaborate on the iq factor. hmm, i made a joke without realizing it as part of boB's callsign is iq.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

well the potential is there for some intelligence for sure. It all ready does a few things like learning a curve for wind power and constantly checking itself. It will likely tell you when the panels are dirty and it will tell you partial shading as well. I believe there is a plan to build a battery monitor system similar to the fndc and interface with the controllers thus giving us an intelligent charger that can change parameters based on seasons or weather etc
  • niel
    Options

thanks 1/2c for the input.

is that intelligent enough dave?
  • Dave Angelini
    Options

The intelligence I am talking about would be inverter based and interface appliances thru the powerline. Smart grid for off grid so to speak. At the CC level one just wants as much power as possible. It is the intelligent use of loads during changing solar (any power source) conditions. Hooking up relays to a FNDC or similar is basically the same thing that we have been doing for decades.

Would be nice to see a system that could prioritize the owners needs.
    For instance, heats the house to 76F and there will be an hour at noon that water will be pumped. It will know if a cloud comes over the house and back off the energy to the heat pump by telling it to go to a lower wattage thru the power line.
    It knows how much power it has available from yesterdays power curve and can make adjustments if conditions have changed.

It would know how to take care of itself and tell you what it did without being complicated.

So, no neil not quite what I meant. The year is in it's second half when do you think I can order, and get a classic?

• niel
    Options

it's not out of beta yet and i don't know when production may start.